Mushroom Hunting in Southern Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    And Spanky I suggest you NEVER break down on our road. Your hair is a little too red to blend in back here. If you don't look like somebody's cousin you may get eaten on THE RIDGE. :p

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Going to be spending a couple days at Lake Fausse State Park this weekend, and while there, might end up hiking with folks a bit. Made me think... I used to mushroom hunt from time to time during the wetter seasons in Missouri, when I still lived there. What is mushroom hunting like around these parts?

I'm about to see what Google turns up for me, as well as checking out the State Agri sites for some mushroom guides. I'm sure Wildlife & Fisheries has a State specific mushroom guide... Missouri Conservation dept. always did, anyways.

Thought I'd get some 'local' opinions/experience though, and couldn't find any other threads, here, about it, really.

Are there better seasons for it?
    What are the more popular -edible- mushrooms to find?
    Think Lake Fausse is even a decent spot for finding anything?

Are there better seasons for it?-->Normally we go out after the 2nd consecutive foggy morning once the temp dips below ~60 deg F....not so much a season as a climate you’re watching for when hunting in Gulf States region. Only reason I wait til 2nd day is for quantity, ease of spotting groups in the terrain I hunt and freshness.
    What are the more popular -edible- mushrooms to find?-->Start with Oysters because they are easier to distinguish since they look like......yep, Oysters. Found near willows (dead) are good, as some have pointed out, but I have found more around dead pecan trees, which also harbors other edible species. Lite tan/white – soft/spongy – edges down…..DO NOT PICK THE WHITE – FLATTOPS that usually are found in close proximity.
    Think Lake Fausse is even a decent spot for finding anything?--> Yes; you should have no problem there.

Look for "The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide" by Alexander H Smith and Nancy Smith Weber. University of Michigan Press, 1980. Believe they also wrote something particular to the southern species as well.

Others you can look for are puffballs, shaggy manes, morels, chanterelles, bearded-tooth or boletes. Most need to be soaked in salt water to remove any bugs. Dip em' in a beated egg, roll em' in bread crumbs and fry in olive oil. There are other recipes, but this is our general recipe that works well while camping/canoeing.

Good luck, but as with many hobbies (including shooting) if you're in doubt DON'T...and just as a precaution don't start eating in the field until you've proven your skill.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Go to Winn Dixie and grab yourself a couple of cans of Broiled In Butter. Chances are you'll be better off...

Top Bottom