My CHP renewal experience

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My CHP permit expires on 10-8-2015. Since you must submit your renewal paperwork no later than 60 days before expiration (otherwise your application must be for a new permit) I took the renewal course on June 27. I hand carried my renewal paperwork and money order to the State Police headquarters on Monday, June 29, since it's about four miles from my home. I immediately walked up to the counter, no one was in line. The lady looked over the sheets and stamped several of the forms. Then I left.

On Thursday, July 9, I was surprised to find my new permit in my mailbox. That's 10 calendar days later, including Friday, July 3, which was a holiday for most state employees. Wow! But upon further examination, there was a problem. The new permit had a begin date of 7-2-2015 and an end date of 7-2-2020. Shouldn't the begin date be the day after the expiration of the previous permit? Shouldn't the end date be five years after that?

I called the CHP office and spoke with a helpful lady named Mary. Upon investigation she said this was a mistake. Obviously, the processing person treating my application as a new application instead of a renewal. She said they will send me a replacement card.

Today, 7-16-2015, I received the replacement. It states the begin date is 7-2-2015 and an expiration date of 10-8-2020. Close enough.

The folks at LSP seem to have their act together, at least for CHP.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The 2013-2014 scare has died down and they are no longer overrun with applications.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Good to hear. Never got a notice to renew and I now have 60 days until exp. Note: you can renew up to 90 days prior but no later the 60 days after exp date. If after 60 days past the exp date then it is considered a new app. From the LSP site.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I let my renewal period lapse and had to apply as new. I think my packet was returned to me once because I didn't send enough money. But once that was corrected, I received my permit. Total time was about two months.
    Noticed that they used my drivers license picture and not the passport photo I sent.

5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Note: you can renew up to 90 days prior but no later the 60 days after exp date. If after 60 days past the exp date then it is considered a new app. From the LSP site.

Interesting. Here's a copy-and-paste from the LSP website:

You must submit your application within 60 days of the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application.

Does that mean within 60 days BEFORE it expires or AFTER it expires?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

You must submit your application within 60 days of the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application.

I've always thought that meant if you let it expire you and you didn't renew within 60 you would have to start over like a new permit.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

The completed application should be returned to the Department no less than 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit to allow sufficient time for processing.
    You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints

5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I appreciate the comments of those who responded.

The take away is this: You don't want to be in a situation where you must produce your CHP card for law enforcement, but the card shows it's expired. So don't let it expire. Get 'er done in advance.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    You still have to take the training class every 5 years. It has not been in use long enough for them to state how that training record will be submitted.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    LIFETIME LICENSE NOT VALID FOR NICS CHECK

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t).

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    My exp date coming up soon. If it happens to expire and I haven't received my new license can you still carry concealed with old license until new one comes in. Don't want to be naked without my piece.

Top Bottom