My first AR build starts soon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Gentlemen, I invite you all to beat this dead horse.

I have never put together an AR. I have an AK. Most of my guns are handguns, and I spend most of my time here on the handguns and the ammo and reloading boards. However, my birthday is next week, and my fiancee is going to buy me an AR stripped lower so that I can start assembling my first AR. I have read lots of stuff about what sort of rifle I want to eventually put together, including all of Pangris's deep thoughts. I do think I want to go with the lightest, simplest carbine, fixed stock, slick-side, etc. That being said, I have no idea what to look for in a lower receiver.

As far as I can tell just looking at them, there really isn't much difference. I'm sure there are differences, but I don't know what to look for. I mean, I know all the moving parts that go inside the lower matter a lot, but the stripped receiver itself? How can they really differ aside from weight and maybe the long-term durability of the metal?

So, someone give me a good recommendation on what to look for in a stripped lower. Should I just get the lowest price? How much of a weight difference might I be looking at? I want the best combination of light weight and value, whatever that may be. I was looking at a DSA lower at Jefferson Gun Outlet's new location yesterday, and it was going for $109. It seemed like a good buy.

So, please, any input is welcome. When it comes times for the guts and the upper, I'm sure I'll be making more posts.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    As i recall, there are only 4 places in the US that actually forge the lowers. Essential Arms in Krotz Springs is one and they do great work. Most of the lowers will be close if not identical when it comes to the metallurgy.

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    As i recall, there are only 4 places in the US that actually forge the lowers. Essential Arms in Krotz Springs is one and they do great work. Most of the lowers will be close if not identical when it comes to the metallurgy.

There are a couple more, but yes any lower would work. A spikes lower is just as good as Aero Precision, LMT is as good as Noveske etc...

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    AIM has good deals on lowers when they are in stock. Here are a few that I would reccomend, due to price and quality, if you can find them in stock.

Spike's
    PSA
    Surplus Arms and Ammo

There are more, but my phone is dieing so I will post them later.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Honestly, find a roll mark you like and buy that lower. A lower from any major company is going to be good to go.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    AIM has good deals on lowers when they are in stock. Here are a few that I would reccomend, due to price and quality, if you can find them in stock.

Spike's
    PSA
    Surplus Arms and Ammo

There are more, but my phone is dieing so I will post them later.

I'd avoid Palmetto State Armory. I heard lots of good things and finally decided to order from them over a month ago. It took almost 2 Weeks for my order to arrive. When I got it, it was incomplete and I still have not received the missing parts. That was 42 days ago!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Most lowers seem to be of good quality. My personal preference would be to stay away from the "plastic" or "fiber" lowers, in favor of metal. No particular reason, just that I favor metal over plastic. You might want to revisit the decision on a slick-side lower. The raised rails were designed as an improvement in order to help prevent inadvertant magazine release. My original Colt SP-1 was a slick side, and I couldn't wait to move up to a different receiver with raised rails/guards. The weight difference in a lower would be insignificant.

I've built two AR's with Essential Arms lowers for two of my kids. Check out the Essential Arms website at

http://www.essentialarms.com/ieLOWERSANDPARTS.HTML

Last edited:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    UPDATE:

Ok, well I think I have all the parts now. Got an Essential Arms stripped lower on sale at Cabela's last night. I got a DPMS Sportical upper (complete upper so that I don't have to fool with assembling that), a DPMS lower receiver parts kit (I was going to get fancy internals, but the price was getting too high, so I decided to get the basic stuff and upgrade later, after I see if I can even put the thing together in the first place), and a regular A2 fixed buttstock assembly (with the buffer tube/spring etc). Finally, got a Tru Glo red dot sight so that I can actually shoot the thing. Oh, and of course I got a magazine.

So, I'm pretty sure that is everything. I am planning to put it together next weekend after I get back from the Gonzales gun show. The question I now have is: What should I have in order to assemble it? What tools should I be getting out to do the job? Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to the best youtube video or similar to walk me through it?

Any tips, tricks, warnings or other advice for the assembly of the lower would be appreciated. After it is together, I will take pictures and post them.

Thanks!

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    If you bought a complete spikes upper you've crossed a major hurdle already. They come headspaced (and test fired I believe) and will rock on any lower you pin on.
    Triggers kits can be clumsy the first go round, and there are a few tricky springs. The good news is, you can you tube several versions of complete tear downs. Good luck, keep us posted and if you run into a snag we'll all be right here to laugh at you! J/k, holler for any help. And have fun

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    When I assembled my E A lower last election, I put a dab of grease on the detent spring and pins to help hold them in place. Also if you launch one it keeps it from rolling all over the place. Good luck.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    When I assembled my E A lower last election, I put a dab of grease on the detent spring and pins to help hold them in place. Also if you launch one it keeps it from rolling all over the place. Good luck.
    great tip. Lol at the spring launching comment. I remember the first time I decided to take a collapsible stock off a lower. Never did find that spring come to think of it..

vietboy1st

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Boston,Mass
    enjoy... you will learn a lot about building an ar. You can build it day in and day out with so many differences configuration of ar15s. I would say there are total over 100 different style ar15 you can build with different rail system, hand grip, buttstock, front sight, barrel size etc... :D

BayouRat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Luling
    I did the same except I went with the DPMS stripped lower. The parts kit assembled easy enough. I suggest getting a vice block and a good set of punches. The lower will scratch easy so I made sure to use a lot of masking tape when ever I was knocking on the roll pins. Mine came out perfect. No scratches and I would do it the same again next time.

This is the video I used to assemble mine. I did it pretty much exactly how the video says to.

:)
    Hope this helps,

Top Bottom