My first complete M14 build from scratch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    I've done builds from barreled actions with the bolt headspace already. This is my first build completely from scratch. I mounted the barrel, lapped and headspaced the bolt. The M14 is quite a bit different than building a poodle shooter.

This one has a 762mm firearms receiver, Medium weight barrel, TRW bolt, HR Trigger Group, a "Big Red" stock I got at the CMP North Store and most of the rest of the "pieces parts" are NOS USGI except the Sadlak NM Oprod spring guide, Hand-guard, and the Oprod.

If the function check shots are any indication, this one, is going to be a shooter. Looking to take her out on a proper outing soon.

wmmw.jpg

wmmw2.jpg

wmmw3.jpg

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    wow, congrats.. that is one on the bucket list.. for me..

Yeah building them is fun and like a layaway plan. You buy a little here and a little there next thing it adds up to a real rifle. Caution left over spares as small as a trigger pin have been known to grown into a full size rifle. :) At some point I'll probably need an intervention :)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you are looking for a proper outing, the Bayou State Regional is April 16 and 17th at Palo Alto. Regional match is Saturday and EIC match is on Sunday. If you can only make one day, come Sunday. We can always use more bodies.

Dan

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    If you are looking for a proper outing, the Bayou State Regional is April 16 and 17th at Palo Alto. Regional match is Saturday and EIC match is on Sunday. If you can only make one day, come Sunday. We can always use more bodies.

Dan

Dan I need to work on Battle Zeros with this thing before I show up and make a fool of myself. I've got to shake the girl out and finish breaking in the barrel. I'm shooting next week in Missouri if things go well I will try to show up on Sunday the 17th... it's a long way to Palo Alto but I've got to get signed up anyway.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Nice. Was a kit? Where did you get it? Any special tools to build one? Was it hard to do?

Edit: Missed the answers to the first two.

Last edited:

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Nice. Was a kit? Where did you get it? Any special tools to build one? Was it hard to do?

Edit: Missed the answers to the first two.

A receiver wrench ($50), barrel vise ($64), a set of .308 Head space gauges ($300) there's 11 of them, and if you want to go the short chambered barrel route, a pull through reamer ($180). Contact me, you can come over and build your rifle and use our tools. And with somebody guiding you it not very hard at all if you're mechanically inclined. Make sure you get a receiver with good specs it makes the process go a whole lot smoother.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Did this start as a CMP kit? I am thinking of getting one of the kits. But I know the 600 kit price will triple or maybe more before finished. Thanks for the post.

Top Bottom