My first official design - need opinons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Ive made plenty of knives before but never really repeated the same design. Well after some tweaks and a few test knives I think I've finally got one that I will be doing multiples of. Let me know what you think. This was one for a friend's upcoming camping trip.

This one was 1/4" thick w2 with a 5 1/2 inch blade that is fully tapered (will get more pics later). Also this one has a VERY difficult to do sweeping plunge line. YOu can see it here easier then when polished due to bad lighting and my bad photo skills lol.

IMG_0680.jpg

Here is the handle getting sanded. To keep cost down I used some mahogany I had from another project.

IMG_0688.jpg

I got a little more sanding then Ill apply a coat of tung oil and get a few more pics so you can see the handle shape in other views.

ALL COMMENTS WANTED!

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    That is very noce the only draw back I see is how shiny it is. It would not be a very tactical knife, that is for sure. :dunno:
    Heh not a problem it takes twice the work to do the shiny finishes vs a satin finish. It took me a while and some tweaks to get just the right feel from it.

I've decided to call it "The Wasp"

First coat of tung oil. Will prob do a couple more to just give it a little more POP

IMG_0692.jpg

The handle is shaped very well and this was something I worked on a good bit. It refuses to move in your hand and will not slip thanks to the shape and contours.

IMG_0693.jpg

A pic of the taper on the blade. Has a very nimble feel due to the taper and moving the weight back slightly.

IMG_0694.jpg

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Very nice work. Based on the pics you did a great job on the handles.

Not sure how it feels or fits the hand but maybe a little file work on the back of the blade for a thumb rest?

Hole for a lanyard?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In my opinion, you made a very nice traditional style knife. I like the polishing and swept blade. It is no "tactical" knife, but it will suit it's purpose extremely well. Adding a lanyard hole and dulling out the finish would be like adding a giant spoiler and flat black paint to a rolls royce.

If you're looking to make a tactical set of knives. Go for a drop point blade, around 3/8" thick, sabre grind, lanyard hole, satin/matte finish, and composite handles. That about sums up the majority of tactical knives. I would keep the blade length between four and six inches.

Just my $0.02

Looks good though. Actually, it looks great ;)

Last edited:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah I sell them too sometimes. This one is for a friend of mine's camping trip coming up. It is hard work but it is very challenging and fun. It isnt easy getting metal to do what you want it to a lot of times lol

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Nothing tacticool about a lanyard hole.....best I can tell it is a camp knife meant for chore work.

Lanyards work.

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah I sell them too sometimes. This one is for a friend of mine's camping trip coming up. It is hard work but it is very challenging and fun. It isnt easy getting metal to do what you want it to a lot of times lol

LOL - I must be blind - I did not see your signature - I was too focused on the the knife!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nothing tacticool about a lanyard hole.....best I can tell it is a camp knife meant for chore work.

Lanyards work.

They may work for some, but I prefer not to use them. What I meant though, is that most "tactical" knives have lanyard holes.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NICE

I would also add a "hole/half moon cut out" at the bottom for your index finger, this prevents you from slipping when you push forward with a lot of force, this design if you slip you go straight to the blade.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    NICE

I would also add a "hole/half moon cut out" at the bottom for your index finger, this prevents you from slipping when you push forward with a lot of force, this design if you slip you go straight to the blade.
    If you felt it in your hand you woudl realize you would drop the knife before slipping forward.

The fun thing about doing a custio is the ability to change things up. Lanyard holes, type of steel, handle material etc etc.

Top Bottom