My First Spike's Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The last pieces of my first 16" CAR-length 5.56 Spike's Tactical build came in the mail yesterday, and it is finally complete (for now). I really like the OD green, and my goal is to have one of each color in carbine and mid-length. Thanks to JoeBob & BS for making this a little easier on my pocket with the Spike's upper group buy, which will end today. If you are in the market for a Spike's upper and didn't notice the group buy going on, check it out. Obviously, this upper was bought before the group buy and I paid about $85 more than I will with the group buy. I am very impressed with Spike's quality, although I haven't put any rounds through it yet. The receivers lock up tight, and this rifle feels rock solid. I also really like the light weight barrel profile, it definitely makes a good difference in overall weight. I can now see why there is an 8-12 week wait on Spike's products, they are just that damn nice and with an affordable price tag too.
    aefd60f9-df9e-83f7.jpg
    aefd60f9-dfb4-548f.jpg
    aefd60f9-dfc9-f170.jpg
    aefd60f9-dfe2-8232.jpg
    aefd60f9-dff6-5fe5.jpg
    aefd60f9-e00f-27c4.jpg
    aefd60f9-e01f-d334.jpg

The first two pics were taken yesterday before I remembered that I had the Magpul sling attachment for the handguard, but the pics came out better because of the time of day they were taken, so I posted them anyway.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    i really like the OD Green, i think my next rifle will be OD Green as well. nice optic too!

Thanks for the compliments. I have a Burris AR Trippler that will be going on it as well, when I get a mount for it in a couple weeks. I think the OD will be my favorite, but I also really like a "blacked out" rifle as well.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Can you post everything that's on there? I would like to build the same exact rifle in the next few months. With the OD color, that stock, foregrip and ergo grip. Of course spikes as well.
    Really nice rifle. Congrats on your new born Spike's

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Can you post everything that's on there? I would like to build the same exact rifle in the next few months. With the OD color, that stock, foregrip and ergo grip. Of course spikes as well.

Great choice :D

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

*Flattered* If I were you, I would first try Botach for the Magpul, but if they don't have it in stock, message me and I can send you in the right direction. You should email Botach before ordering, or you funds could possibly be tied up for about a week if the parts are on backorder. If you are tight on funds like me, then it is worth the trouble IMO.

I will update with new pics once I mount the magnifier.

16" CAR-Length Light Profile Barrel with F Marked Front Sight & A2 Flash Hider [ 1-7" Twist ]
    Spike's LPK
    Magpul MOE Stock (mil-spec)
    Magpul MOE Hand Guard
    Ergo grip
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    Magpul ASAP Sling Plate
    Magpul MOE Hand Guard Sling Attachment Point
    Magpul MBUS Rear Flip Sight
    Lancer Opaque AWM Mag
    Eotech EXPS2-0

I went with a PSA buffer tube assembly, simply because the Spike's assemblies were not available at the time. I do plan to change the buffer to a Spike's T2, but that is not on the top of my priority list at the moment.

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    VERY nice!! Let us know how it shoots. Always been a BCM guy but your Spikes looks like a great build and I have always heard great things about them.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    VERY nice!! Let us know how it shoots. Always been a BCM guy but your Spikes looks like a great build and I have always heard great things about them.

Thanks! If I get some extra time tomorrow I will be putting some rounds down range. Hopefully we will have another beautiful day ahead of us; I haven't checked the weather yet. I really like Spike's price point, they make one hell of a nice rifle for the $. I also like PSA because of the same reason, but ,to me, Spike's rifles just look better (they have a nicer finish) and lock up tighter to give it a more solid feel. I also love their roll mark. Although, when it comes down to basic functionality and durability, I think the 2 are about one in the same.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Well, I made time to put a few mags through this hotness this evening, and it ran flawlessly as expected. I am really digging the light profile barrel, as I am skinny guy; any reduction in weight is a plus for me. This was mainly a function test/fun shootin', because I didn't have any paper targets on hand. I was mainly shooting at small chunks of cinder blocks, which I like because it gives a nice report. I shoot in my backyard which is convenient since there aren't any ranges that know of close by, but my max range here is about 75 yards. The next time I go to wally world I will pick up a pack of targets to test my grouping, and I will post the results here. So far, my expectations have been met and I am very pleased with my first Spike's build. I can't wait to see how she preforms on paper.:beer:

Top Bottom