My SMLE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I decided to show a couple of C&R rifles over the next few weeks. No reason for it, just thought I would.

Today I picked my No 1 MK III SMLE made in 1940. This particular rifle is all matching and is a dispersion rifle so it's not marked with any arsenal. The German were of course bombing anything British that could make weapons at this time in history. So to combat this the British made at least some of their rifle manufacturing decentralized with many smaller shops producing parts and assembled rifles. This rifle was produced near the end of the No1MKIII's service life as it was replaced by the No4MkI.

It's cool to me because it isn't derived from the Mauser 98 in some way like most bolt action rifles of WW2 were.

Dave

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I have one made in Ishapore 1951 and it has a really dark stock. The action is much smoother on the enfield than the k98 IMO and I love the full length wood stock used on these rifles.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    These were serious battle rifles. Nothing weak about them and very well thought out in all respects. A small detail that shows how well thought out this weapon was , is the fact that they used brass on the butt plate intsead of steel. Brass won't rust when it sits in the mud all day. In my opinion this was the best bolt action battle rifle of WW2. Of course the Mauser 98k will give it a run for it's money. I have one each of 98k, Mosin Nagant, Arisaka, and the 1903A3. The SMLE just feels tough as nails.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom