My son ran a 12.3 quarter mile

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ford could have been on top a long time ago. They make a top of the line engine for performance.
    What does Chevy have over ford and always has?
    Part and performance market support. They have had the support of the performance market since the beginning.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    His wife can't drive a stick.

An apparently he can't teach her?

Both our cars are sticks. If we have the option, we buy manuals.

I'd like to drive a tuned 2013 mustang, because I test drove two 5.0s (manual and auto) and was severely underwhelmed by the whole package.

Thy both felt way too slow and the steering on them was so vague it made a Camry feel like a track day toy.

I have a few friends with older track focused mustangs and the steering was significantly better than the new (stock) ones.

I do love the exhaust note of the new mustangs compared to my Vette though.

I also drove an FR-S and the steering was phenomenal, yet it had ZERO power.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    It isn't unheard of for the new 5.0 to get real good times let alone into the 10's with little modifications . From what I have seen and read the winning combination is a follows . Headers , good tune , good intake , weight reduction , slicks and a nice size stall . I cant remember the gearing ratio , 3.73 maybe , but with those they haul . As for the manual tranny , they are German engineered but built in china from what I have been told . Talked to a dude who cant keep his out the shop cus off tranny issues , most others don't have that trouble from what I have heard . Man I need to invest in some 3.91's one day . What exhaust set up is one that ? I know I heard some sort of header set up?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    For every day driving I advised him to get an automatic. Stick + traffic stop/go = Big PITA Been there done that. I've had numerous sticks and hated them in traffic. Hey, with an automatic he's hitting 12.3 sec/qm. I'm considering getting a 2013 BOSS 302. Only comes with a manual. Also entertaining the idea of a 2011-2012 Shelby. Either way it will have to be a stick.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    2011 with 20k miles with a 9# roush blower and 6sp manual. Not a single hiccup or issue.

Be careful what "problems" you read on Internet. One pissed off person with a computer can make a relatively small issue seem like a very large one.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    2011 with 20k miles with a 9# roush blower and 6sp manual. Not a single hiccup or issue.

Be careful what "problems" you read on Internet. One pissed off person with a computer can make a relatively small issue seem like a very large one.

Yep.
    How many people make memberships to get help with an issue compared to the ones who post up how satisfied they are.
    Some guys at stang hi in BR run the manuals and are putting down some serious power with no problems.
    Btw Mr. Charles. I'd go Shelby. Just me though just me though lol.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    OP- the 2013 auto's average .2/mi faster than the manuals, for whatever its worth to ya. Anyone serious about bracket racing or being a consistent threat on test n tune night opts automatic.

My 05' GT ran a 12.8 and was heavily modified, but I haven't seen a coyote run higher than 13.0. Its just a beast. Hell even the v6 pony is pullin high 13's.

Agreed on whoever mentioned it being lackluster as a purchase. the 2013 stang just didn't do it for me as a buyer either. The powertrain and tail redesign sure made it tempting though. (Dont even get me started on the camaro, I'd rather have swine flu) and as much as I hate dodge, the chally was actually incredibly good fun...its pitfall was that the interior that, like all dodges, is just horrendous.

For same cash I ended up with a barely used 335, and a factory 12.9 is good enough for me... the only thing I miss is the sweet sweet sound of that coyote at high rpm.

Nice runs! 3.73's or 4.10's and a lil work and hell be sub12 every time.

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was looking specifically at a convertible 5 liter so I can take the occasional road trip with my wife and son.

In the Vette, I only get to take my son.

But out the box the Mustang was so lackluster, it killed the deal.

I do love that Mustang sound.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    when the '13 are in the 13-15k range in a few years (like all used stangs), it'll be an awesome weekend drag toy. This... is the plan.

If I had to pick any of these with a family trip in mind, the challenger gets the nod. fantastic good looks, lots of room, lots of power, and you could fit 5 dead hookers in the trunk- and I'm not talkin about sexy euro chicks im talkin avg american women. lol

college roomie works for chrysler, he told me not to buy a challenger (almost did) because the baracuda to replacing it in mid '14, with the roadrunner returning in '16.

edit: not sure how my family trip included dead hookers... sorry been married less than a year, so i dont have many family trips under my belt. bachelor trips =/= family trips

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    when the '13 are in the 13-15k range in a few years (like all used stangs), it'll be an awesome weekend drag toy. This... is the plan.

If I had to pick any of these with a family trip in mind, the challenger gets the nod. fantastic good looks, lots of room, lots of power, and you could fit 5 dead hookers in the trunk- and I'm not talkin about sexy euro chicks im talkin avg american women. lol

college roomie works for chrysler, he told me not to buy a challenger (almost did) because the baracuda to replacing it in mid '14, with the roadrunner returning in '16.

edit: not sure how my family trip included dead hookers... sorry been married less than a year, so i dont have many family trips under my belt. bachelor trips =/= family trips

baracuda was a plymouth so I wouldn't think it would make it back as a dodge, but I agree its the roomiest of the three with a huge trunk, my s-i-l has one and I don't mind driving it every now and then

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Baracuda is the title being given to the top of the line "SRT-8" model, with different tail lighting, hood styling, and some other interior goodies.

the others will still be called challenger apparently.

source- SEMA auto show

Topspeed.com "The SRT Barracuda will take the place of the Challenger SRT8, but the standard Challenger will maintain its branding. This coincides with SRT’s goal of only producing high-performance sports cars; the 305 HP Challenger doesn’t quite fit the bill.

The future Dodge Challenger will be entering its new generation in 2015, so we’ll see the SRT Barracuda around the same time. The new Barracuda will be built on an entirely new platform and will be powered by a new 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 that will debut in 2014.
    "

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    OP- the 2013 auto's average .2/mi faster than the manuals, for whatever its worth to ya. Anyone serious about bracket racing or being a consistent threat on test n tune night opts automatic.

My 05' GT ran a 12.8 and was heavily modified, but I haven't seen a coyote run higher than 13.0. Its just a beast. Hell even the v6 pony is pullin high 13's.

I think trans average depends on the driver, manuals are getting fewer and farther between but I just made 50 and I'll bet $ a DSG has little or nothing on me :p
    My 89 ran a best of 12.8 and it's "highly modified." I'm thinking in my case the definition is more "highly" than in your case.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    Speaking of Stangs....I just got my beauty last month. She is an '08 with only 13,000 miles. it previously to belonged to the 70 y/o owner of the dealership back home. I put a CAI and tune along with a Corsa axle back on her and my dyno slip says she is putting 497 to the rear wheels.

28153_10200332170360354_15002204_n.jpg529318_10200332169520333_1758183272_n.jpg

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Speaking of Stangs....I just got my beauty last month. She is an '08 with only 13,000 miles. it previously to belonged to the 70 y/o owner of the dealership back home. I put a CAI and tune along with a Corsa axle back on her and my dyno slip says she is putting 497 to the rear wheels.

View attachment 39992View attachment 39993

gorgeous car man. only thing i dont like is "Shelby" and "Shelby" inches apart on the deck lid. Did you get that tag aftermarket or is that a brake light cover?

497 is ridic. ever run the 1/4?

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    gorgeous car man. only thing i dont like is "Shelby" and "Shelby" inches apart on the deck lid. Did you get that tag aftermarket or is that a brake light cover?

497 is ridic. ever run the 1/4?

Thanks and I know what you mean. It came on the car when I got it. I assume the previous owner put it on. I'm still debating taking it off. I haven't run her on the track so I don't know the 1/4 time. To be honest, I am not even that great of a smooth shifter. The last time I drove stick before this Shelby was back in 2007 in Afghanistan driving those old Russian Jeeps. I'm getting a little better though.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I admit that stock 5.0 feels very sluggish. The power comes on up high so it is deceivingly fast. Feels slow but drops a high 12 second quarter.

I love my standard but often wish I had auto. But it's a kick in the ass to drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom