my truck got searched and i got patted down question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Strategically placing of one of these jewels between your license & registration is a little more subtle and could go a long way.....;)

cat-gift-card-1-2_0.jpg

Sailorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    Albany, Oregon
    So, just to step back a bit. The original question I think was, does an officer have a right to search your car. If you are pulled over and ask if you have a weapon and you say "no" there is always a way to do a search. If he finds a weapon, you have just committed a crime. When an officer comes to your window the proper response is, "hello officer, I just want to let you know that I have a concealed weapons permit and I have my weapon on me/in the car" he will probably ask a few questions or search just to satisfy his curiosity and make sure you are what you say you are and no problems. I have been ask out of my car and had my weapon disassembled on the hood of my car and then been told "have a nice day" and left there to reassemble the weapon and go about my way. Just depends on the cop, if you have a pleasant attitude his attitude will be much better. Most of them are pretty cool but you could get someone having a bad day. This is in Oregon by the way, more laid back here.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    So, just to step back a bit. The original question I think was, does an officer have a right to search your car. If you are pulled over and ask if you have a weapon and you say "no" there is always a way to do a search. If he finds a weapon, you have just committed a crime. When an officer comes to your window the proper response is, "hello officer, I just want to let you know that I have a concealed weapons permit and I have my weapon on me/in the car" he will probably ask a few questions or search just to satisfy his curiosity and make sure you are what you say you are and no problems. I have been ask out of my car and had my weapon disassembled on the hood of my car and then been told "have a nice day" and left there to reassemble the weapon and go about my way. Just depends on the cop, if you have a pleasant attitude his attitude will be much better. Most of them are pretty cool but you could get someone having a bad day. This is in Oregon by the way, more laid back here.

Was it disassembled or just unloaded?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I unloaded a couple, but never saw the need to disassemble one.

Was it a CCW person that informed you? If so why unload the weapon?

Just curious this isn't a cop bashing thing just wanted to know the reasoning behind it is all.

I will go on to say I have had to talk to an officer twice while carrying both times I hand the officer my permit with my license underneath. Once was when a lady rearended me while texting. The other I was speeding the cop that pulled me over for speeding was nice enough to give me a verbal warning to show his appreciation for me informing him ("he told me because you gave me this first") after which I thanked him and shook his hand after telling him I would be more mindful. Haven't gone over the speeding limit since.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    IF a LEO disassembles a weapon that is just plain stupid .

Some cheaper guns have the serial number inside of the slide and under the barrel. In order to run these guns, disassembly must be done. I can't recall of fpv the top of my head the manufacturers, but I've personally seen two of them.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Was it a CCW person that informed you? If so why unload the weapon?

Just curious this isn't a cop bashing thing just wanted to know the reasoning behind it is all.

When I take retrieve a gun off someone/vehicle to hold until end of the stop, I unload it because I secure the weapon on my dash and wouldn't want to risk it sliding off and firing if it is loaded. I put it on the dash so I don't forget to give it back.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    When I take retrieve a gun off someone/vehicle to hold until end of the stop, I unload it because I secure the weapon on my dash and wouldn't want to risk it sliding off and firing if it is loaded. I put it on the dash so I don't forget to give it back.

Ah that makes sense. I've only ever owned firearms with the serial numbers on the outside. Securing it that way makes sense too. I guess I was wondering why disarm them in the first place but I have only had good experiences so far and always remain respectful and compliant (never had to get out of the car).

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    guess I was wondering why disarm them in the first place but I have only had good experiences so far and always remain respectful and compliant (never had to get out of the car).

Mostly, again for me, it's just gut feeling. Could be a variety of things. Way violator is acting, amount of people in the vehicle, criminal/traffic history........... The list goes on.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've only been stopped one time that the Deputy felt a need to disarm me. He stood behind me and removed my gun from the holster.
    I didn't feel too comfortable with him trying to hold his flashlight and unload my gun rack the slide without dropping anything or it firing.
    But since he was worked for DPS before becoming a Deputy at least he knew how to handle a Sig.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Because it was 3 in the morning and it was my ass on the line. Just because someone has a permit, doesn't mean they will not do you harm.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Because it was 3 in the morning and it was my ass on the line. Just because someone has a permit, doesn't mean they will not do you harm.

Man don't take it the wrong way when someone questions you. I appreciate your response but alpinehyperlite had answered in way that explained it well enough. Just try to be less rigid when someone asks a question hell I even feel like I have to put "this isn't cop bashing" in every post so someone doesn't take it the wrong way.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I didn't take it the wrong way, but I think you took my reply the wrong way. Anyway, my apologies if it came across wrong, that was not my intent.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Whom in the LEO's opinion on here would stop and assist you if you were having a problem on the side of the road with Joe Knobhead.

Unarmed Citizen?

Armed Citizen?

CC Armed Citizen?

Just wondering if any LEO's here actually needed roadside/other assistance from Joe Citizen?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Whom in the LEO's opinion on here would stop and assist you if you were having a problem on the side of the road with Joe Knobhead.

Unarmed Citizen?

Armed Citizen?

CC Armed Citizen?

Just wondering if any LEO's here actually needed roadside/other assistance from Joe Citizen?

All of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    In my opinion we live in a state where the citizen will stop and assist if necessary any LEO on the side of the road having problems, I like that!

Yep. All races,genders, and ages. I've either witnessed or heard first hand about help from all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom