National Defense Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    This might be a stupid question but would this be open to ak's? I have yet to acquire an ar yet...

AK's are allowed. Irons or throw a Kobra on it, does not matter. According to the NRA spokesman the match is designed to be open to as many people as possible and at the same time enhance a persons speed and accuracy skills that would lend itself to a personal defensive situation. Hence the NDM title. They will however prefer the AR platform - portray to the public it's sporting side and defensive use and not just the dreaded EBR.

I was told they are getting hammered with emails about the match and instead of answering a few questions here and there they are making a large packet to email out.

Looks like I need to purchase a timer to get us started. By the time we run approved matches I'm hoping we have three of them and use all three bays at the range at the same time. So far they have used the pocket pro or the CED 7000. Anyone have suggestions on which to purchase or some other?

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    AK's are allowed. Irons or throw a Kobra on it, does not matter. According to the NRA spokesman the match is designed to be open to as many people as possible and at the same time enhance a persons speed and accuracy skills that would lend itself to a personal defensive situation.

Well then I'm definately in :)

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Talked shortly with the Sheriff this morning. Looks like we won't be able to hold the matches till late summer. When I told him approximate numbers so far, he gave me the no-go till he gets the rifle berms repaired which are currenly in poor shape. He did however state that we could run something on the pistol bays for now. Suggestions?

If the weather cooperates, I'll be at the range Sunday, the 27th. Afternoon is dedicated to 4-H but I can be at the range much ealier that morning to open the gate for discussion, shooting, whatever.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Talked shortly with the Sheriff this morning. Looks like we won't be able to hold the matches till late summer. When I told him approximate numbers so far, he gave me the no-go till he gets the rifle berms repaired which are currenly in poor shape. He did however state that we could run something on the pistol bays for now. Suggestions?

Are you talking about short range rifle stages on the pistol bays? Half of the stages at either the Texas State Carbine Championship or the Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship have been run in 3-sided pistol bays and were a heckuva lot more complex than what I believe the NRA has in mind. Both pistol bays offer 45-50 yards. In other words, short range rifle on the pistol bays, one stage per bay, is eminently doable if the sheriff is amenable.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Two bays hold one stage each. After squads shoot both, a quick rearrangement and you have two fresh stages in the two bays. You still get four stages to shoot. Tangipahoa Practical Shooters in Amite does this every pistol match to get six stages out of three bays and used to have rifle or 3-gun side matches afterwards with just another change out.

Break down the competitors into two squads and dive in. It might be worthwhile to kick off on an experimental basis with two stages, then quickly rearrange props/targets for two more stages, until the third bay becomes available. It might have some advantages in accelerating the learning curve, as well, as to what will be required for you to run a match like this safely and successfully. Thanks to three major USPSA pistol clubs here in South Louisiana and competitors with considerable experience with major 3-gun and other national/regional matches, there are a number of seasoned competitors and ROs who would be happy to help you make your matches successful. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    If the weather cooperates, I'll be at the range Sunday, the 27th. Afternoon is dedicated to 4-H but I can be at the range much earlier that morning to open the gate for discussion, shooting, whatever.

I'll open the gate at 9:30 this Sunday for those wanting to meet and discuss, put a few rounds down range. Still don't have anything from the NRA yet. 4-H starts at 1:30 so I ask that you clear out before.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Apologies for late reply. So far it's still held up. I recieved a reply from the NRA that they would be sending out a package of info but haven't heard a word from them since. Second, I went to the range Sunday for 4-H and the rifle berm still has not been worked on. The high water in/heading to the parish has that on the back burner.

I do however have the targets that they sent and have attached them to this post ...

View attachment NewBlueTarget.pdf View attachment NewRedTarget.pdf View attachment NewGreenTarget.pdf View attachment NewWhiteTarget.pdf View attachment NewYellowTarget.pdf

Top Bottom