Need a locksmith for gunsafe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dually6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    St. James Parish
    I have a Winchester gun safe that I can't get into. I've changed the keypad battery and the keypad. I can hear the lock actuator fire after entering the code but the safe wont open. Winchester said the lifetime warranty covers everything except the lock. So I have to find someone to get it open. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Dually6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    St. James Parish
    The code works, I can hear the lock actuator inside the door fire, but it won't open. I've tried putting pressure on the wheel when entering the code also.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    This is why I'll likely never buy e-keypad locking safe unless it has an actual key that can be used to manually unlock it.

Good luck OP. Hope it all works out for ya.

Sent from me my phone and I.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Two locksmiths in your area http://www.dannyslocksmith.com/services.html and http://silverandgoldlocksmith.com/our-services/

You might not want to put any pressure on the handle while opening. I know browning safes won't open like that, might be the same. Try turning the handle all the way to one side and putting in the code and then turn it to the other side and put in the code again, that might work (I realize when locked the handle may only turn 1/8th of an inch but it could be preventing the lock from working if it is in the wrong position)

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    On my safe (Cannon) after I enter my code, I have to rock the wheel back to the right then unlock it by turning to the left...
    Try that and see if that works....

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    the smith will be able to open no problem, let me tell you of a story why ill never buy another one with electric lock. went into my cannon two weeks before deer season,wont unlock,changed battery called company, nothing, had to call smith and go on month waiting list. the company on gives lock smiths that are cert. the drill spot to open it. worst part had to borrow deer rifle from friend. i thought it was cool and worked great, punch code ,open. till you really need it ,and it denies you. sol

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I too have decided to not buy a safe without a dial. I worked at Bowie's and we had one too many duds from the factory that would not work consistently. I will put my nightstand gun in a small one with a keypad and all other safes will have a S&G or better dial lock.

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    if this is the same gun safe i am thinking of, when i take my key pad off to change the battery mine also came with a long a** key so that if something happened i could still get into the safe

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've used e-lock safes for many years w/o a problem BUT my next safe will be one with dual locks (a manual which will override the electronic), also called a EMD safe, IIRC. Fort Knox is supposed to have one with dual locks and Cannon with a manual/e-lock combined into one unit.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I too have decided to not buy a safe without a dial. I worked at Bowie's and we had one too many duds from the factory that would not work consistently. I will put my nightstand gun in a small one with a keypad and all other safes will have a S&G or better dial lock.

Ingersol Rand makes some that are mechanical just like their door locks. I have one on my front door, it's the only thing that is bump-key proof.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    if this is the same gun safe i am thinking of, when i take my key pad off to change the battery mine also came with a long a** key so that if something happened i could still get into the safe

Mine too.......But now that I think about it where in the devil is the key lol
    Not funny I'm serious, I got to go looking for it:{

Good luck with your safe, let us know how it turns out!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Mine too.......But now that I think about it where in the devil is the key lol
    Not funny I'm serious, I got to go looking for it:{

Good luck with your safe, let us know how it turns out!

It was hanging on a hook inside the door when I saw it last. Maybe, a different hiding spot would be a good idea....

Top Bottom