Need Advice! My Son is Moving to LSU

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS1RX7

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Slidell
    My brother got mugged and shot right outside the north gate near the varsity. That whole area is trash stay out of there.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just figured I would throw out that I am a current LSU student and I can probably answer any specific questions you have about campus or the such. Also, I know the director of the Oceanography grad department quite well. I did not know they were tearing down the apartments off of Stanford by the lakes, but that place is super duper nice for a near campus apartment. My girlfriend currently lives in one of the 'decent' complexes off of Burbank near campus and I am not impressed at all. I would recommend staying away from that whole area. Baton Rouge is a great place and there are many more apartments a good 15 - 20 minutes away from campus that are certainly worth considering...if that is an option. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you wouldn't want to post on the public boards.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    MY daughter stayed at Highland Plantation of a year. It was a typical college apartment complex, unit was well worn, nothing fancy. Can't remember the price but she looked around and it was one of the least expensive. It's not walking distance but it's on the bus line. Parking on campus can suck and my daughter rode the bus rather than circle around for a parking place. There are lots of apartment complexes on Highland Road but stay SOUTH of campus. Highland Road north of campus is pretty bad crime wise as you get away from campus I think.
    She also stayed at University Commons on Burbank. I don't think there are any one bedroom apts but you can sign a lease and get assigned 2 other roommates(like in a college dorm). My son in law lived there and got along with his 2 assigned roommates as far as I can remember. My daughter roomed with a cousin and a stranger and there was lots of drama and trauma involving the stranger. Again Burbank south of campus has lots of similar places.
    Another daughter lived in the "Fairway View Apartments" on College Dr. It's not close to campus, maybe 20 minute drive. It was a little nicer than the Highland and Burbank places. All there places were pretty safe for them.

A note about the University Commons and the complex next door. They seem fine and all, but when I was in school, I went to *many* parties there. Since your son is in grad school, that area might not be his demographic.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I just went thru and found a new apartment after living at the venue. If his price range was a little more flexible, I'd suggest looking around ~5 miles away from campus.

I live on corporate and the apartments are very well maintained, the staff are incredibly nice, but you pay to live in a gated community and for the location. I only chose it because I'm a single female living alone. It's a great complex. Mostly young professionals, young families, graduate students and more serious undergrads. A few LEO as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM. I can put him in touch with my leasing manager if he's interested.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I live 30 minutes north of LSU, put my wife thru school there. Basicly, every block is different in the area. 1 block away can make a huge difference in price, crime, safety and so on. That is most of baton rouge, especially in rentals. Any place that you are considering, give a specific address to someone familiar with the area before committing and get some real feedback. I hung around there some when I was younger, but cannot remember the names of most places.
    BR traffic is more aggravating than many larger cities. He will want to be as close as possible if school really is a top priority.
    When the sun goes down, a lot of the decent areas are not really places I would want someone I cared about out if they arent familiar with the area.

Oh, and by the way I am a country boy. There is not a house anywhere in baton rouge you could give me that I would live in!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If he can afford it, he should try One Lakeshore Place Apartments, 940 Stanford Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70808. It's right off campus in a great area.

It'll all depends on his finances. If he can't afford much, moving further away from campus keeps you in good neighborhoods while keeping rent down.

What's his major?

Apparently you aren't aware that it is about to be torn down and replaced with high dollar condos.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Parking on campus is an absolute nightmare. I'd definitely try to find something where he won't have to rely on a car.

My wife teaches at LSU. Even with her special permit, she has to get there early to get a spot.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Parking on campus is an absolute nightmare. I'd definitely try to find something where he won't have to rely on a car.

My wife teaches at LSU. Even with her special permit, she has to get there early to get a spot.

I was always able to find a spot. I guess it just depends on where you need to go / what lots are convenient for your classes.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was always able to find a spot. I guess it just depends on where you need to go / what lots are convenient for your classes.
    Yeah, I don't have much of a problem finding a spot either. Getting there 15 mins early helps too :)

Warning Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    Guys & girls- thanks again for all your responses & PMs ! The reason I posted here in the first place was because I knew I could depend on my fellow firearms brethren for good advice. We're still on the hunt for an affordable place but at least I've got a really good idea where to look and where to avoid.

For those of you who are parents, I'm sure you can understand my anxiety of sending my kid halfway across the country to school. My kid's best bud is deployed right now and his parents are pretty much a wreck.
    For those of you who will become parents, your time is coming !

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I commuted from Prairieville my entire time there, always found a spot cause I parked as far away from everybody else as possible and didn't mind walking.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Guys & girls- thanks again for all your responses & PMs ! The reason I posted here in the first place was because I knew I could depend on my fellow firearms brethren for good advice. We're still on the hunt for an affordable place but at least I've got a really good idea where to look and where to avoid.

For those of you who are parents, I'm sure you can understand my anxiety of sending my kid halfway across the country to school. My kid's best bud is deployed right now and his parents are pretty much a wreck.
    For those of you who will become parents, your time is coming !

My mom just shipped my little brother off to college (youngest and last one to leave the neat) so I have a general idea of what you're going through.

All will be well! Just holler if ya need any more help!

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I had several good friends stay in Southgate Towers. Pricey but very nice. They have a parking garage with key code access and a "guard" that watches the garage and one that patrols the interior. I don't recall ever hearing about crime taking place there on the interior but keep in mind anywhere around campus you are a target outside late at night.

Brightside has some decent places but there have been shootings and robberies that have taken place all along there.

The "Tigerland" area which is between the LSU golf course and Brightside is where I lived for 2 years and it is basically a glorified ghetto. Tons of older apartments that the owners do not want to put money into so they start taking in Section 8 (government housing). Place is like the wild west when the lights go out, armed robberies, rape, and several people have been shot or beaten half to death.

North gates of LSU is the same story, after dark you get all the welfare recipients pouring out of the hood to pray on college kids.

Most important thing is to be street smart and limit your exposure to the native population.

Top Bottom