Need help deciding on Night sights for Glock 19.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    All,

I received some pretty decent advice on a previous holster thread, so I figured I'd give it a shot again.

I am looking to replace the sights on a new Gen 4 G19. The only other night sights I have are on a Glock 30 and are Trijicon 3 dots. The front sight is not as bright as the rear sight and therefore makes it harder to pick up a sight picture than I would prefer. I have been browsing the internet and have found a couple that seem to be interesting, but have no knowledge about any of them, so i wanted to see what you all knew about them:

Tru-Glo TFO 3 dot - Red Front, Green Rear.

Like these, but Red Front, green rear.
    images

AmeriGlo, GL-212-220-OR Green/Orange Front, GL-101R Rear (Green i-dot rear sight)
    GL212ORC%20copy_0.jpg

GL101R2%20copy.jpg

XS Sight Systems, Big Dot 24/7 Express
    gl-0001s-5-1_1.jpg

What do you know about the durability of these sights? are they actually useful sights, or are they just gimmicks that seem good because of me being a Noob? Please, any info you have would be great, and if there is something that is a better option in your opinion, please post so I can check it out. Thanks.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have tfo's on my 19 and love them. Let me know if you want to check them out.

Might take you up on that. Here are some questions for you regarding the TFOs. Have you had any issues with durability? How bright are the sights during dusk/twilight?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I just asked quite a few Experienced Glock owners the same thing.

Most seem to think that the XS sights are great for UP CLOSE. Beyond 10-15 yds and your accuracy could drop significantly. However they make two different sizes.

The Ameriglo with Black/I-dot seem to be picking up in popularity and offer the similar quick-aim ability that XS claims but allows for better accuracy with the front sight not being a big ball.

I'm most likely going to go with the Ameriglo just as you have pictured. Black/Greed i-dot Rear, with Orange/Green Front.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I don't care for XS sights, they are fast, but it is harder to be accurate with. My personal favorite, which I can't find in stock at the moment is the Ameriglo gl202 which is the same front as pictured above but with the yellow rear. The yellow is not as bright as the green so it allows your eyes to focus where they need to be (the front sight), but it's still there should you need it.

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    im like you i dont like the trijicon night sight. i do how ever like the tru glo sight because you get the best of both worlds. i have a friend who tried the xs sight system and could not hit the target at 25 yards. he said the front sight covered the entire target.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I don't care for XS sights, they are fast, but it is harder to be accurate with. My personal favorite, which I can't find in stock at the moment is the Ameriglo gl202 which is the same front as pictured above but with the yellow rear. The yellow is not as bright as the green so it allows your eyes to focus where they need to be (the front sight), but it's still there should you need it.

For Sale - http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/sh...ght-sights-for-glock-17-2c19-2c26-2c-etc-lnib

Oh I like dat me!

pro_idot_yellow_copy.jpg

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA

That's good info. Thanks.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Sutton, XD45 are either of you a member of GlockTalk?

If you plan on buying those in particular and that guy has the two sets available I'll work out a deal to buy the other set.

I'm thinking of registering to see if they are still available just thought it'd be quicker if someone already interested had an account already.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ameriglo ProGlo front w/black rear or Trijicon HD gets my vote. Sights are a very personal thing though, I would try to shoot as many varieties as you can and see what works best.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The iDot is arguably the best front post out there today. Just as bright as Fiber in the daytime, thanks to the neon orange donut-- without the worry of breakage, dulling, etc. (You will still have to swab out the recess with alcohol or a gentle solvent after a few hundred rounds, but it cleans up better than fiber and won't go milky on you.) The tritium dot in the middle is fairly ample in size and bright as well-- although technically speaking, you should be running a WML anyway.

You really, truly and honestly owe it to yourself to at least try a flat black rear notch. The mechanics of the human eye just don't favor 3-dots, 2 vertically oriented ones, or any kind of "straight 8" approach. From most clearly in focus to least, you'll see the front post, the rear notch, and the target in your focal planes. Anything that clutters up that 2nd semi-fuzzy layer will either rob you of precision, or slow you down as you struggle to "align" all sorts of blurry reference points. Furthermore, if you work on your NPA/index (probably the single most important element of shooting quickly and accurately), you'll find that the sights will line up with your eye without help or conscious effort anyway.

I do not know (personally or even through word of mouth) a single accomplished/super-serious shooter than runs anything but a standard black notch for the their rear sight. And trust me when I tell you-- I looked and asked when I was first trying to answer your question for myself, and continue to pay attention when I'm around those folks. At this point, I've spent time around hundreds of folks who meet that description-- not a single rear sight that wasn't flat black. There's something to be said for that.

Although I'm personally certain that it's the only way to go, there's obviously little I can do to sway someone in that direction. I can however strongly suggest to you that you give them a shot, or at least look down a few sights configured in this fashion and see what you think. Really, it'll take a live fire session or two (*with a timer*) to illustrate the difference, but I've seen a lot of folks just raise the gun to their eyes and notice the difference-- so do yourself a favor and see what you think.

The Ameriglo's are the ****, but they do have a fatal flaw. Whatever park they're putting on that rear sight is... meh. If you carry this gun every day and don't have girly sweat, you're almost certain to get some rust. PITA, but it's fixable-- and fortunately, if you go all black, rear sights are pretty cheap to replace!

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    The iDot is arguably the best front post out there today. Just as bright as Fiber in the daytime, thanks to the neon orange donut-- without the worry of breakage, dulling, etc. (You will still have to swab out the recess with alcohol or a gentle solvent after a few hundred rounds, but it cleans up better than fiber and won't go milky on you.) The tritium dot in the middle is fairly ample in size and bright as well-- although technically speaking, you should be running a WML anyway.

You really, truly and honestly owe it to yourself to at least try a flat black rear notch. The mechanics of the human eye just don't favor 3-dots, 2 vertically oriented ones, or any kind of "straight 8" approach. From most clearly in focus to least, you'll see the front post, the rear notch, and the target in your focal planes. Anything that clutters up that 2nd semi-fuzzy layer will either rob you of precision, or slow you down as you struggle to "align" all sorts of blurry reference points. Furthermore, if you work on your NPA/index (probably the single most important element of shooting quickly and accurately), you'll find that the sights will line up with your eye without help or conscious effort anyway.

I do not know (personally or even through word of mouth) a single accomplished/super-serious shooter than runs anything but a standard black notch for the their rear sight. And trust me when I tell you-- I looked and asked when I was first trying to answer your question for myself, and continue to pay attention when I'm around those folks. At this point, I've spent time around hundreds of folks who meet that description-- not a single rear sight that wasn't flat black. There's something to be said for that.

Although I'm personally certain that it's the only way to go, there's obviously little I can do to sway someone in that direction. I can however strongly suggest to you that you give them a shot, or at least look down a few sights configured in this fashion and see what you think. Really, it'll take a live fire session or two (*with a timer*) to illustrate the difference, but I've seen a lot of folks just raise the gun to their eyes and notice the difference-- so do yourself a favor and see what you think.

The Ameriglo's are the ****, but they do have a fatal flaw. Whatever park they're putting on that rear sight is... meh. If you carry this gun every day and don't have girly sweat, you're almost certain to get some rust. PITA, but it's fixable-- and fortunately, if you go all black, rear sights are pretty cheap to replace!

What rear sight would you recommend pairing with the Ameriglo front sight I have pictured, then? Thanks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ameriglo Proglo with BLACK back sight or IDOT if you need a back sight confirmation, the HD from Trijicon are also BAD ASS but more expensive.

The rest are simply NOT worth the price IMO,

XS 24-7 are a waste of time and money, I had to EAT them on my M&P Shield since its one of the few available and eventhough the dovetail is very similar to the big boy M&P its not the same since we tried regular M&P sights and they didnt work, I did order the small dot instead of the huge golf ball.

also as mentioned by SINSTER the black back sights from Ameriglo tend to rust since the parkerizing solution SUCKS but they DO replace them for free, I have sent back at least 3 sights and they always made it 100%, they are well aware of the issue.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What rear sight would you recommend pairing with the Ameriglo front sight I have pictured, then? Thanks.

Pretty much what everyone else said.

However-- if I could find a black rear with the same dimensions as the Ameriglo, but less propensity for oxidation, I'd probably go with that. I'm keeping the current unit on my 45 FS in pretty good shape, but when it's time for them to go, I'll investigate other options.

Good to hear about the replacement, Guate-- I may send these in, get a new set, and see about having them stripped and coated or something to prevent the crap from happening in the future. It's not a functionality concern, but it sure is a PITA...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Pretty much what everyone else said.

However-- if I could find a black rear with the same dimensions as the Ameriglo, but less propensity for oxidation, I'd probably go with that. I'm keeping the current unit on my 45 FS in pretty good shape, but when it's time for them to go, I'll investigate other options.

Good to hear about the replacement, Guate-- I may send these in, get a new set, and see about having them stripped and coated or something to prevent the crap from happening in the future. It's not a functionality concern, but it sure is a PITA...

I just had my coating gun paint my back sight in flat black and problem solved, but yeah they replace them for free

Top Bottom