Need Help with Elevation setting!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    im having an issue getting my elevation set on my newly purchased Weatherby Vanguard .308. I am using a Tasco 6-24 x 42mm scope. went to the shooting range today which is 50 yards. I started with using a laser barrel scope until it died, then went and just shot at the target and adjusted from there. i've got my windage set pretty good... but having a lot of trouble with elevation. I have medium ring mounts for the scope and my elevation setting is max out and it still shoots very low. would higher ring mounts help me solve my issue? this is the third scope i've tried on my rifle. first scope was a bushnell 3-9x 40mm scope that i took off my ruger 10/22. second was a newly purchased tasco 6-24x 42mm. talked to a gun shop about higher mounts but they suggested trying another scope first. so i went and swapped out the tasco 6-24x 42mm scope and all have the same issue with shooting low.

now... knowing that my shot goes low, i can compensate the elevation to aim where i need too to hit where i want, but i'd rather have my scope dialed in as close as possible.

any help would be great! thanks Fr3nchy524

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    scope is mounted to rails that i had bought at cabelas when i bought the gun and rings. cabelas had installed the mounts for me.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Post a picture of your rifle please. I had a guy asking me about this very problem last week and whoever installed the mounts on the gun had done it backwards. It's very common, esp. since the Leupold bases don't come with instructions.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I had a place in Metairie fix this for me. I wan't there when they did but since I had the bore sight and they didn't use any tools it was no charge. What area are you frequenting?

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    GUN:
    IMG_0108.jpg

Bolt Action Lock Side:
    IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Left Side
    IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    so after a few trial and errors... i believe i have found my issue. I recall the guy at cabelas who said he installed the mounts for me had to put the mounts on backwards. cause that's the only way they would fit. and in doing so.... it pretty much raised the front of the scope while lowering the rear of the scope. as a temporary fix for now... i have used some aluminum for shims that i received from the gun range. i will be ordering Weatherby 1 piece scope ring/ mount set. and that should sold my issue.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If thats the only way they would fit, he sold you the wrong mount/rings
    Why would a gunsmith knowingly put them on backwards?
    When you get the right parts, dont let them do the install, they might crush your scope tube this time

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If thats the only way they would fit, he sold you the wrong mount/rings
    Why would a gunsmith knowingly put them on backwards?
    When you get the right parts, dont let them do the install, they might crush your scope tube this time

+1

Scope installation is extremely simple. If you bought bases with a built in cant in them (20moa) then you will definitely be at the bottom of the elevation range on a scope with a total elevation adjustment of 40moa when the bases are put on backwards. Fill out your profile and perhaps an experienced rifle shooter around you will be willing to help you out. Going cheap on mount and rings is NEVER a good idea.

Last edited:

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    went to the local shooting range today Nicks Shooting Range, and a new set of mounts was the answer to my issue! the mounts that were bought from cabelas were wrong, so after 5 minutes of letting the cashier at Nick's install the new mounts, i am spot on! gonna try and return the mounts to cabelas if i can find the package!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom