Need Honda help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    We have a 2003 Odyssey with 123K on the odometer. It has run very well until recently. After getting a tankful of bad fuel this summer, we had to replace the fuel system, including injectors and (I think) the fuel pump. That work fixed the problem and it drove well for a couple of months.

Now, however, it is in bad shape. It almost always feels like it has little power. Sometimes, you can depress the accelerator and the RPM continue to fall. At times, even in neutral, it will not rev up past 1000 or 2000 RPM. It also hesitates too long before shifting sometimes; other times it shifts pretty well for an old car.

Honda thought it was a bad oxygen sensor, and changed that. We have also run about 5 tanks of Shell Premium grade through it. Still wheezing and limping.

Any thoughts? At this point, I don't trust it to get over the GNO Bridge to take it to the dealer for more service. I hate to incur towing and more diagnostic tests if she is terminal.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I would doubt its terminal w/only 123K miles. However, you're right; if it won't make it up and over the bridge, towing would be the way to go. A bridge like that is no place to stall.

Are you getting any lights on the dash? It seems like the oxygen sensor going out would produce at least a check engine light.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Before they changed out the oxygen sensor, we got a Check Engine light, but not since. Thanks for the tip about the converter. I will definitely suggest they check that.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I take my cars to Neals Harahan Auto Service (504) 737-5103. The Neal brothers very often fix my car over the phone, and they have given me excellent, reliable service on three cars at reasonable rates for 8 years. I would never take a car to a dealer for anything.

O_R_B_1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    New Orleans, La.
    Todd's on 8th Street in Harvey. Fair prices, fast service, great to deal with.

Just had my Cat-Converts replaced for a little over $500.

That sounds like the problem. Any auto-repair shop can check the computer. My CHECK ENGINE light came on and I had the sputtering and slow response. Sure enough it was the converters.

HammondShooter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Albany, Louisiana
    It may be the catalytic converter, but since you have had fuel issues before, I'd check the fuel filter first and change it. It may have picked up more trash since that time. Also, the problem may be unrelated and be something like a bad distributor; that happened to my brother. At least make sure the cap on the distributor is not cracked and take it off to check for scale build up on the inside cap and on the rotor before you go to the large expense of buying a new converter. One of the shops mentioned above should be able to do a computer diagnostic and track down the problem before you shell out any money, though.

Shane

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I agree with Hammondshooter. Something to be aware of in these older cars (like my 96 Mazda 626) is that they were not designed to run the high-alcohol percentage fuels like are available at the pumps these days. The alcohol can cause buildups in fuel systems to break loose, and clog filters.

I wouldn't assume anything.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts. It was indeed a clogged catalytic converter. That's a $1200 repair, but much cheaper than a new van.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yep. Your emoticon suggests I paid too much or that prices have gone up since you last checked. I hope it's only the latter. In any event, they figured out the problem (despite no computer codes coming up) and the van - knock on wood - is driving well now. If I paid too much, that stinks though.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    I've had two cars with a similar problem, turned out to be the fuel pump in both cases. Make sure the fuel pump was replaced. It's in the fuel tank, so they probably had to drop the tank to get to it.

Top Bottom