Need ideas on cleaning black splotches off my truck's paint

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Black specks and splotches are on my paint and I haven't been able to get it off. I've tried cleaner-wax, glass cleaner. What can I get to wipe that stuff off? I know kerosene would do it but will that hurt my paint?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    For my truck I used these:

0003700043516_500X500.jpg

Worked like a charm getting off tar, bugs, rubs, etc. I just used a light touch and no problems.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Have you tried a clay bar? Or tar and bug remover? Hopefully no one was spraying paint outside and it got onto your car

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Black specks and splotches are on my paint and I haven't been able to get it off. I've tried cleaner-wax, glass cleaner. What can I get to wipe that stuff off? I know kerosene would do it but will that hurt my paint?

I have used gasoline to get off stuff like that. I immediately washed it thoroughly and waxed it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Have you tried a clay bar? Or tar and bug remover? Hopefully no one was spraying paint outside and it got onto your car

That was my first thought. Have it buffed out.

If you park under trees, could be sap.
    If it catches runoff from your roof, could be mineral deposit from asphalt shingles.
    Could just be mildew. Dilute some bleach, rinse extremely well/wash/wax.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Laquer thinner from the hardware store will take off most oversprayed paint and road tar. The paint on your truck is a catalyzed urethane, so the solvent should not hurt it.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Use mineral spirits it will not harm most paints, Its also close to the bug and tar removers. The old companies that did undercoating would use it on cloth upholstry when they had a splatter. I'll use laquer thinner on glass, but never on paint unless you plan on repainting. It's what most clean the gun with after spraying a catalyzed urethane.

firesafety3

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    I agree with the advice on WD-40. I've used it before with tar and other tough stuff and it's worked well. Spray it, let it sit 3-4 minutes, then wipe it off. Follow up with a soapy sponge and wipe dry. Follow up with wax if you care to.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    I'd say lacquer thinner is going to degloss the finish, at the least.

I'll use laquer thinner on glass, but never on paint unless you plan on repainting. It's what most clean the gun with after spraying a catalyzed urethane.

We clean spray guns with it BEFORE the paint chemically crosslinks and cures.
    Once it cures for about 12 hours, laquer thinner might soften it slightly if you let it sit on the paint too long.
    Paint finishes these days are a lot more durable than they were 20 years ago.
    It takes sandpaper or Methylene Chloride to remove a paint job these days.

AR343.jpg

0621090927.jpg

Still, if it comes off with mineral spirits or WD, use that.
    I'd have to see a picture of the spots to tell you what would work best.
    You might be able to get it all off with some rubbing compound and a wool pad..
    Cleaner/wax is not aggressive enough.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    WD40, cleaner-polish didn't work. The fenders are fiberglass on this year model. Thay black stuff sure is tough. I park under a big pecan tree that covers most of my yard and driveway. I think the black stuff is caused by that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    WD40, cleaner-polish didn't work. The fenders are fiberglass on this year model. Thay black stuff sure is tough. I park under a big pecan tree that covers most of my yard and driveway. I think the black stuff is caused by that.
    If you have any dryer sheets, wet one and try scrubbing it with that. A lot of people I know use them on dried bugs.

Top Bottom