Need info on Hamilton .22rf rifles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Old, small single-shot .22rf boys' rifles found today are usually beat up for decades by young boys. They were then consigned to a handy corner of a leaky old barn to assassinate rats, pigeons, snakes and other invaders. (Most ended up looking like that gun at top in the photo at the bottom of this posting.) Many were simply thrown away when a part broke, or they would no longer shoot straight.

CORRECTHAMILTON27AD_edited.jpg

The Hamilton Rifle Company of Plymouth, MI manufacture millions of such little rifles from 1898 to 1945. I have several of their guns, but one has me stumped. Their most successful selling rifle was the No. 27. They also produced a slightly improved model of that gun which was designated No. 027. None of their guns in all those years were marked MODEL, they always were stamped with the abbreviation No., for the word NUMBER.

A couple of years ago I heard of a Hamilton No.027 which was roll-stamped with the word MODEL instead of No.. A check of Jim Perkins' book American Boys' Rilfes 1890-1945 had no info on this anomoly. The gentleman who has the Hamilton Rifle website said he had seen one but knew nothing about their origin. He and I both checked with an ex employee of Hamilton and he too said he had seen one, but knew nothing of its origin.

Here is a pic of two such rifles I've obtained in the past two years. NOTE: Each of these has what appears like "inspector's initials" stamped just in front of the large takedown bolt head toward front of the receiver. They are different initials on these two.

HAMILTON027VAR2.jpg

If anyone has a similarly stamped rifle I would greatly appreciate learning about it. Or if anyone has info on the odd variation, and are willing to share it, I would also appreiate that info.

Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Politicians are interested in people. Not that this is always a virtue. Fleas are interested in dogs. ~ ~ ~ P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom