Need Info On Mossberg Brownies

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been researching these little guys for nearly three years now. My findings have been published in Mossberg collector newsletters and on Mossy web sites. But I need MORE INFO.

So far I've only had data on less than 100 of these guns furnished to me. Oscar made approximately 32,000 during its 13 year production period. Considered the "Founding Father" of the O.F. Mossberg & Sons Co. which is still a family affair today.

These neat little .22rf, 4-barrel pistols were made from 1919 to 1932. What I need from Brownie owners is just a few items of info about the gun. Please bear with me, here is alit of what I need.

There are only 3 Variations known, and I need to learn exactly what patent info is stamped on the right side of the barrels. Also, I need the serial number of the gun, there are six known locations the number (or perhaps on the last digits of it) may be found: bottom of the grip (or inside on the frame under the right grip); down near the hinge (when gun is broken open); under the little "ears" on the front end of the Barrel Release Lever on top of the gun; and inside each metal side plate on the older guns.

I'd also like to know if it still has its ORIGINAL dark-walnut ridged grips, and if its ORIGINAL Extractor Rod is still in the little well on top of the gun, left side. This flat metal piece fits down in behind the left grip.

Below is a photo of one of my Brownies to refer to.

Please email any Brownie data to JACKJAN32119@Clearwire.net ALL information will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

BROWNIE967FROMTARGETHING002_edited.jpg

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Whoa!

Hey, Quickdraw22, I've managed to corral NINE of the little critters! Only four of those are in the collection. There are only THREE known Variations! I've got those PLUS what's commonly called a "lunchbox gun" - taken out of the factory one piece at a time in some workman's lunchbox.

topgunz1 is correct! I'm just seeking more info on MORE BROWNIES. The more I have for research, the more exacting my production figures can be.

I've now got all of mine upgraded to VG or Nearly NEW, but still looking for a better Variation #2. That's the MOST RARE!!! It has the wrong patent date stamped into it and was only produced less than a year sometime in 1923, with LESS than 2,000 guns made.

Below is a photo of my current keepers. The other five I'll be selling off or parting-out those that are beyond salvage.

Best regards from the "Gunshine State" ~ ~ ~ FFF

Guns are, clockwise from top left: Variation #1 - PAT.APPL'D.FOR; Variation #2 - PAT.JAN.27,1920; Variation #3 - PATD. JULY 27, 2920; and the "lunchbox." Note the difference in spacing on the various stampings.
    BROWNIESMYFOURVARIATIONS002_edited.jpg

Yes, I carry a gun, 'cause a cop is too heavy! ;)

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Thanks Dave. I've written them asking for more info on this one. Looks very nice but proper numbers will tell the story. I greatly appreciate your heads-up on this one.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

No problem. They always have some interesting things on their site. I could blow a whole day walking through their store! :(:D

Dave

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmmmm... I wonder if it would do me any good to send them my Want List of various guns??? I think if I were a dealer I'd welcome such lists. Then I could refer to them (alphabetized, of course by gun make) every time I got another gun in stock. Should sure help selling a lot easier.

Next time you're in the store, would you please ask them about how they handle Want Lists? I'd appreciate it.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    They are in Houston and I'm in New Orleans, so it may be a month or two before I get back. I do know their database is pretty extensive and up to date on their website.( www.collectorsfirearms.com )I search through there a few times a week. And for the record, I have nothing to do with them, just enjoy their store and did buy my Kar98k from them.:)

Dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom