need recommendation for a 13 year Olds first deer rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    My son turns 13 om monday. He wants a bolt action deer rifle of his own. From his stand his longest shot would be 75 yards. I'm thinking 30-06 or 30-30. What do the deer hunters say? I'm looking at savage and ruger all Americans. Or if someone has something for sale please om me.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    .243 or .270 if it were my kid depending on there size and skill level at that age. Savage makes a good rifle, also Remington 700. My son (much older ) has a Remington 783 and he shoots lights out with it in 30-06. If you are willing to spend the money Steyr has an awesome rifle with the best safety system IMO. 30-30 in a lever gun has a lot going on when your carrying it and using it in a stand. The exposed hammer could be an issue for a young inexperienced hunter.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    30-30 would be just fine.

I wouldn't give him a 30-06, but if you're inclined to go with a .30 cal, I'd go with AK shooter's suggestion and get him a .308.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    30-30 would be just fine.

I wouldn't give him a 30-06, but if you're inclined to go with a .30 cal, I'd go with AK shooter's suggestion and get him a .308.

Hey twice in one day!

I have to agree 30-06 is a lot for a young guy like that. But thats my humble opinion. Its got some thump again in my boney opinion. I cant shoot mine comfortably without a limbsaver. Maybe I'm just a wuss. Growing up my cousins shot 243s from very young ages (a few years younger than 13), my bro-in-law had a 30-30. All three now men were much younger than me, so I could kind of notice how they were able to handle them. Whitetail hunting those are more than enough gun for me. Also a 22-250 would work fine. If you want a long action cartrige I would stay below .30 cal. Unless of course hes just a big ole burly 13 year old then 30-06 is probably one of the most versitile cartriges around.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The 243, 7mm-08 and .308 are all popular caliber choices. 7mm-08 is a very popular and capable youth caliber; its also light on recoil. You can get the reduced recoil loads all the way up to full power. Its a capable round that he can grow into. If you decide to get a youth size gun, consider a gun that you can get a full size stock for down the road.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Just a little extra opinion since we are talking high power cartiges and small diameter progectiles, I'm gonna suggest electronic ears. Especially if y'all hunt from shoot houses. Really should be hunting period, but I know when we were boys the average Joe couldn't go buy his boy something like that. At 31 I have been involve in hobbies like hunting and shooting most of my life and at age 31 I have now been dealing with ringing ears for close to 10 years now. If they would have made affordable active muffs back then my old man would have made we wear them in the stand, and while it would have pissed me off then I would be reeping the benefits today.
    To each his own but once your hearing is fubared its fubared .

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The 243, 7mm-08 and .308 are all popular caliber choices. 7mm-08 is a very popular and capable youth caliber; its also light on recoil. You can get the reduced recoil loads all the way up to full power. Its a capable round that he can grow into. If you decide to get a youth size gun, consider a gun that you can get a full size stock for down the road.

7mm-08 is a good choice too, but I think a lever action 30-30 would be something he will cherish for the rest of his life. Later on down the road, he may still want to shoot with the 30-30, but you don't see many adults with a 7mm-08 or even a .243 anymore.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    7mm-08 is also a very good choice. I have seen very few bolt action rifles in 30-30, there are also very few choices when it comes to cartridge manufactures. 30-30 in a lever action is a pain in the butt if you hunt from box stands or climbers, that is if you unload before you climb as you should. A bolt action with a removable magazine is much easier as you can drop the mag and bolt out the chambered round before climbing. That coupled with the exposed hammer would rule out the lever gun for me at that age. The Mossberg Patriot is also in the same price range as the 2 you mentioned, having shot one it will do the job for about the same $$$$

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    .243 or 7mm-08. You really won't ever need anything more for whitetails unless you just want to make more noise. My son (11) took his first 2 deer last fall with a .223. Both with 1 shot and they dropped in their tracks. I would rather a .243, but already had the mini 14 with a red dot so we went with it. If I buy him a bolt gun it will probably be the Ruger American in .243.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    When my son was that age, I bought him a Marlin in the 308 Marlin caliber. Lever action, easy to handle, not much recoil. He still uses it 15 years later and I also bring it to the camp as a backup rifle and hunt with it on occasion.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I grew up shooting a pop-barell 243

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Get him one of the single shot primitive rifles he can shoot any season. The one rifle would be good for both seasons. Try to find one in the lower recoil range to start with. U don't start a child with a 30/06 because he will not enjoy the recoil and get a habit of flinching at the shot that will be hard to break.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    .243 or .260. I was given a 30-06 too young and it took me years to stop twitching and pulling because of recoil shyness

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Get him one of the single shot primitive rifles he can shoot any season. The one rifle would be good for both seasons. Try to find one in the lower recoil range to start with. U don't start a child with a 30/06 because he will not enjoy the recoil and get a habit of flinching at the shot that will be hard to break.
    Single shot for primitive arms must be .35 cal or bigger

bowhogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Louisiana
    I started on a 308 Remington 700 myself. However one of my more recent buys was a ruger american in 300 blackout. Absolutely no kick. Short barrel makes it light for a youngster. And the composite stock is easily cleanable when they drop it in the mud. I'm planning letting my nephew use it when he gets a little older. The only bad thing is range. I shoot 100 yards or less so have no problems with it. IMHO

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ok, I'm more confused now. Lol. Too many choices. Lots to read and consider. Thanks guys

Weatherby Vanguards are a good rifle for the money. They use Rem 700 rings and bases so that is easy. .243 is a nice caliber. I'd just as soon go .30-06 over a .270 as you have more options on light loads available. Hand loading gives more options to light load a rifle. You can down load a .45-70 fairly light or go heavy. I would prefer a bolt gun over a break action as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom