Need some imput guys.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Now you're crawfishing. The stated parameters were for a home defense shotgun. That assumes INSIDE the home. Either it works, or it doesn't. Which is it?

Ah, to hell with this verbal jousting. You can believe what you choose. But I've seen the results of a load of #6s and #7.5s delivered across a room (20 feet max). It is devastating.

Not everything is black and white. I did some thinking about it, and decided that it wouldn't be a terrible option, especially if you're concerned about over penetration. Not trying to start an argument.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah I own a new model 37 made by the last-est incarnation of Ithaca. It's in Ohio now. Not New York. :) Anyway very high quality, light shotgun. I have the defense model that's similar to the one issued in Vietnam. I've also owned Mossberg 500's and a 590, as well as a 870 defense model. There's nothing wrong with the Ithaca. But I'd recommend buying the 870 or the 500 before the Ithaca. It does have the smoothest pump action of the three and to me it's more intuitive in the controls area. The current generation as a really good pad on the butt so it's not tearing you up so much. But it is very much a pump shotgun from the generation preceding the 870 or the 500 and it shows. JM Browning was one of the designers for the M37 in 1915. Then Remington made the design until it was outdated and Ithaca bought it. I can't argue with anything Steve said said about the design. Also the 870 and 500 have a lot of aftermarket gizmos and the M37 has zero.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Its a great HUNTING gun. It ain't so great for "tactical" use. Yeah, lots of folks used it in Nam, but that's because it was a lot lighter than the Model 12 or 97 Winchesters, and the stocks on the Savage 77Es were too short for the average GI.

We had almost a thousand Ithaca 37s in service with State Police. They were replaced with 870s after several spectacular failures. These guns are very light (just over five pounds with a standard four shot magazine and "riot" barrel). Buckshot and slug loads are hard on the guns and on the shooter. The design is weak in the shell latch area. This is what keeps the shells in the magazine until called for, and the timing of these parts is critical since you're feeding AND ejecting through the same hole. The shell latches tend to fail after hard use, which creates several problems.

Yeah, I know there are all sorts of folks who love theirs, never had an issue, etc., etc. Fine. I know what I saw, and I trained folks with that shotgun for several years until we got rid of them. You're welcome to them. Me, I'll go with something else.

Learn something new every day.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I'm no expert by far. But I've seen birdshot, slug, and buckshot in the ER. They all had issues, like profuse bleeding, or bone fragments where there should be a face. At 20' I gotta think even an improved cylinder choke would be plenty. As stated, I'm nowhere near experienced as these guys.

LSP- what is wrong with the 887? Just curious.

To the OP, good luck in your decision, let us know what you go with.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    870, all day every day. I got mine with the factory mag extension, replaced the stock and fore-end with Hogue units and called it a day. The only other thing I'd change is to shorten the length of pull on the stock a bit, but for what it does (sit by the bed loaded with 00B), it is just fine. Haven't looked at prices lately but you can probably dang near get two 870's for the price of a benelli or beretta.

Pistol grip "tactical" shotguns are silly. Contrary to internet-opinion, you still need to aim a shotgun, and when you touch it off, you need to manage recoil effectively to get a followup shot. Good luck doing either one of those with proficiency and speed without a stock.

Birdshot delivered close enough and in the right spot will be deadly, for sure. I've seen the aftermath of a .410 with birdshot and it did the job, but distance was probably about 6 feet. I use 00B because I know how it patterns from 25 yards in, and I don't have to worry about overpenetration because my wife and I are the only ones in the house and the neighbors aren't close.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom