Neighbors complaing about being overshot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've got what i considered a safe shooting area in my yard. The neighbors downrange are complaining of hearing bullets whizzing by, and I have no idea how it's even possible.

Here is an overhead map.

map.jpg

as you can see, he is technically downrange. I'm shooting downhill 2-3* or so to the bottom of the 6' berm his place is uphill, 2-3* and almost 1000yds away and he says he's heard 3 bullets "whizzing by" this afternoon. I was developing a load for my .308 (20 shots fired, all impacted target and accounted for) and trying out my new K31 ( 17 shots fired, 5-10x, 5-9x, 7 @35yds standing for S&G. All impacted target and accounted for).

I dug up the impact area and recovered most of the shredded 7.5 jackets, they were pretty well destroyed. Is it possible that the gravel below the surface of the dirt is deflecting the bullets upward (>45*) and they're carrying enough energy to tumble another 850 yards? Or does the neighbor possibly just not like me shooting.

Either way, I won't shoot there anymore, I just did not think it probable that the bullets would, impact the target, the dirt mound behind, make it over that 6'high 45* dirt mound and carrying enough energy to go whizzing by a house another 900 yds away.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    My guess is there isn't anything coming close to his place, he's just pissed you're shooting.

People can't just come out and say that they're pissed you're shooting, they have to come up with some BS about bullets "whizzing by".

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    My guess is there isn't anything coming close to his place, he's just pissed you're shooting.

People can't just come out and say that they're pissed you're shooting, they have to come up with some BS about bullets "whizzing by".

This would be my sneaking suspicion.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I would shoot the next couple of days into the ground. If the neighbor still complains of whizzing bullets,
    well, you can figure out what to tell him.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would shoot the next couple of days into the ground. If the neighbor still complains of whizzing bullets,
    well, you can figure out what to tell him.

Record some video of the shoot. Then show it to your neighbor if he complains to you, or the police if he calls them.

If he calls the police, ask that he be arrested for filing a false complaint.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    buy a can, or go talk to him and explain the physics behind it.. tell him it drops over 90 inches at 600 yards.. there is no way he is hearing them

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    buy a can, or go talk to him and explain the physics behind it.. tell him it drops over 90 inches at 600 yards.. there is no way he is hearing them

I tried asking him if he'd like to see where I was shooting, he refused. and said he'd heard 3 bullets pass over his home just a few minutes before.
    I told him to come see the target that had 17 holes in it and the empty 17 cases, he declined.

He tried telling me that the bullet could be passing through the dirt, at that point I said "Well that's ********." he said "ok fine" and turned around and walked back to his car.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Record some video of the shoot. Then show it to your neighbor if he complains to you, or the police if he calls them.

If he calls the police, ask that he be arrested for filing a false complaint.

I would also make sure your video has a time and date stamp, so there's no question of when you shot the video.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    The first step I would suggest is to be a good neighbor, whether he is or not. If the neighbor is complaining about "whizzing" bullets; be a good neighbor and investigate it. Make sure your hitting dirt, and make sure your not going through the dirt and deflecting over his house. Check the thickness of the berm. Lay something across the back next time you shoot, and check it to make sure the rounds aren't going all the way through. Do a thorough walk through and assessment of the shooting you do.
    That way, when push comes to shove you can say with a clear mind that you are conducting yourself safely.
    I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone, until I can remove all doubt.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    After looking at the map, distances, obstructions...

...I'd be pissed too, if I were your neighbor. I think you have a very shitty setup to be shooting in the direction of other buildings. I don't care if you're hot **** super sniper. That is not a respectable "range" you have set up.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    The first step I would suggest is to be a good neighbor, whether he is or not. If the neighbor is complaining about "whizzing" bullets; be a good neighbor and investigate it. Make sure your hitting dirt, and make sure your not going through the dirt and deflecting over his house. Check the thickness of the berm. Lay something across the back next time you shoot, and check it to make sure the rounds aren't going all the way through. Do a thorough walk through and assessment of the shooting you do.
    That way, when push comes to shove you can say with a clear mind that you are conducting yourself safely.
    I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone, until I can remove all doubt.

It's over 12' thick, we drive across the top of it. There is no way possible that the bullets are making it through, and if they were, they'd be headed straight for more dirt.
    The only thing that I can imagine happening is that the bullets are striking rocks just below the surface of the berm and are somehow coming out at a very shallow angle catapulting them upward and lobbing the distorted projectiles over in his direction. So maybe a piece of plywood over the top of the targets to the berm.

Top Bottom