Never shoot anyone who doesn't need shooting!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    After much discussion in another thread about the nuances of justifiable homicide, I wanted to say something of more general concern. In discussing the application of the presumption provided in Part B of LA R.S. 14:20, I am reminded of some discussions I've had about religion. Even if you don't believe in God, it doesn't hurt, and is probably a good idea, to you live your life as though God exists.

To the point at hand, LA R.S. 14:20 (B) provides a presumption of reasonable belief that force was necessary when you are in your home, auto, or business and there has been an unlawful and forcible entry, etc. There is some disagreement as to whether or not that presumption is absolute, or whether it is rebuttable. Whether or not you feel that this presumption is rebuttable, I don't think it hurts, and it's probably a good idea, to act as though it is rebuttable.

In many situations, you may have every legal right to shoot someone, but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. In my classes I always point out that there can be severe consequences-- legal, financial, and emotional consequences, to even the most 'righteous' shooting. To paraphrase the Duke: "Never shoot anyone who doesn't need shooting!'

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with Lou.

I preach to my students that they need to be looking for ways to avoid shooting someone, instead of continually asking "If he does (fill in the blank), can I shoot him ?"

But I also teach that "avoiding" isn't to be extended to the point of placing yourself in peril.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I try to do my "if-thens" beforehand as much as I can. There is precious little time to be deciding in a gunfight.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    For some reason the title of this thread made me think of Robert Stroud aka "The birdman of alcatraz". During one of his parole hearings he was asked Why he wanted to get out of prison, his answer, "Because there's still a lot of people out there that need killing". For some reason parole was denied :bowrofl:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Shooting someone is never going to be a good thing. I might be the best option you have, but it's not going to be a good one..... so makre sure that if you need to shoot someone, they really need it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I agree. If I'm ever confronted by a senior citizen in a wheel chair missing an arm and a leg armed witha pen I will think twice before pulling the trigger.

aherring1983

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a story that I'd like to share with yaw, a while back I was attempted to be car jacked by a hoodlum with a pellet pistol, thankful for him I recognized it as a pellet gun as I had already drawn my CCW weapon and I was preparing to defend myself and my property, well needless to say he was probably crapping himself as he had a large caliber handgun just inches from his face with a " crazy white cracker " as he called me, ordering him to the ground at gun point until the sheriffs office arrived, " BTW I was calling for law enforcement backup on my EMS radio, and cops came from everywhere " just goes to show that sometimes you have a second to deside on what to do in a situation and it can have a long lasting effect

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    This is my shocked face...you mean there are bad guys in wheelchairs, too? Having one arm and being in a wheelchair makes no difference in his ability to create a fatal wound.

Top Bottom