New .22 for My Son

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I've been wanting to get my boy a new rifle. I've been trying to teach him to shoot but he was having difficulty because he's a southpaw trying to shoot a standard gun. To make matters worse he is a southpaw who is right eye dominant.

I found this FN SCAR clone chambered in .22 caliber long rifle. It's a ISSC MSR MK22 and I got it for for just over $200 from Bud's Gun Shop. This rifle has the option to move the charging handle into six different positions (three per side) and has mag release and safety levers on both sides, so it's perfect for a southpaw. This one comes with a 22 round magazine because Louisiana is currently still a [mostly] free State. I'll need to see about buying a couple of extra magazines because as we all know mags are the weak link. I can't wait to get him out to the range...

749ab1a9-9d1a-4835-be79-298bc9e77235_zpsqgnqowjh.jpg

ISSC%20MSR%20MK22%20folded%20left_zpsl6fi5owx.jpg

20150730_151828_zpskwqjmelt.jpg

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Shot it yet? Always wondered how these guns shoot.

Not yet, and it looks like it might be a couple weeks before I get the chance to. I've read sme pretty god reviews and seen some YouTube vids of them firing without malfunction. I'll post a range report when I do get the chance to run it through it's paces.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    To me it seems you have made the poorest choice a person could make with chosing a firearm to teach a young shooter to shoot. He has enough issues going on with him to try to learn with a contraption like that. You should teach him with something standard like a 10/22 or marlin 60.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Nice gun. I wish I could get my kids off the computers and out to the range more. Hope he enjoys it.

Last edited:

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    Started all my kids and grandkids with a single-shot 22LR bolt action with iron sights. Learning the basics (safety - accuracy) must come first. This is hard to do with most semi-autos ..... attention spans are usually short and they just want to pull the trigger as fast as they can - because it is fun!! Don't learn much that way and hard to get them back on track ...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Started all my kids and grandkids with a single-shot 22LR bolt action with iron sights. Learning the basics (safety - accuracy) must come first. This is hard to do with most semi-autos ..... attention spans are usually short and they just want to pull the trigger as fast as they can - because it is fun!! Don't learn much that way and hard to get them back on track ...

Safety is always a first, but not all kids learn the same way. Some learn faster than others and some don't learn at all.

There is nothing wrong with learning how to shoot with a semi-auto rifle; Just because you taught your children with a bolt gun, doesn't mean everyone has to.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Just to +1, I learned on a Marlin 60 before I started kindergarten and did just fine as far as concentrating on the shot and being safe goes.

OTOH, I don't know what my daughter will do when I put a gun in her hands. She's about as high-strung as a kid can be.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Putting a single round in the magazine at a time does two things; it effectively turns a semi automatic into a single shot AND it provides opportunities to train magazine reloading procedures.

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    +1 on learning how to shoot right-handed. I'm left-handed and was taught how to shoot right-handed as a child. It comes in handy now because I'm comfortable either way

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom