New guy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsb45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Monroe, La.
    Hey everybody,
    I've never really seriously hunted before but I want to start at this stage of my life. Can Y'all give me some pointers on where to go for novice hunter info and a reccomendation for a good rifle? I'm looking for gear and technique advice as getting one rifle that would be suitable for the majority of big game found in N. Amrica. Thanks in advance for all information.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ritten, Mickey and others should be able to help you on your rifle choice.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    First you have to decide on what kind of gun you want, bolt action, lever action, semi-auto, single shot. Can't go wrong with a 270 bolt action or a 30-30 lever action.

dsb45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Monroe, La.
    I'm partial to bolt rifles myself, but a semi-auto would offer a faster follow up shot if needed. I was thinking about a 30-06 just because I have a couple of Remmy 742's that my grandfather left behind. They probably need new scopes but are still perfectly functional.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm partial to bolt rifles myself, but a semi-auto would offer a faster follow up shot if needed. I was thinking about a 30-06 just because I have a couple of Remmy 742's that my grandfather left behind. They probably need new scopes but are still perfectly functional.

Hard to pass up a free rifle, especially in 30-06. My go-to gun is a .308 win due to the short action and ability to go down the 18" barrels without noticeably impacting ballistics...makes for a pretty handy rifle that can take down most game. Google LDWF and find out about some local hunting and gun safety courses for the best info.

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You should check out the LDWF site for sure. You will need to check into hunters education courses before you can get a license. They also have a list of the management areas for hunting if you need that. The 30-06 is a great rifle and would serve your purpose well. I do agree with Jatwood87 though, I love my .308.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    A very popular and very good gun is the Remington Model 700. You can get them pretty much in any caliber you want. It is fairly inexpensive and with the right optics very accurate. Whatever you get, don't put cheap glass on your gun. You can expect to spend at least what you will pay for your gun to get descent optics. Look into Leupold and Nikon scopes. You can get a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for around $300 if you shop around different forum classifieds. The Nikon Prostaff is an inexpensive scope ($175) and will get you by. The Redfield and Burris are also descent scopes for the price. I deer hunt with a Rem 700 and a Ruger in a .270 caliber. That caliber is a great shooting round. Flat trajectory and packs a punch without tearing up too much meat. Will you be hunting under a canopy of trees or will you be hunting in an open field? If you are mainly hunting under a canopy you will want better optics to gather light.
    Will you be hunting deer? Deer and hogs? Will you be still hunting from a box stand, ladder stand or climber? How much money can you spend? I used to hunt a lot when I was younger and got out of it for several years and just got back into it the year before last. I've spent A LOT of money getting the equipment that I have today. Not all of it is a necessity but it makes things easier. The main things I would suggest you get is a good set of Binoculars, a range finder, and a good backpack/daypack, (my backpack is a Horn Hunter
    G2 Day Pack). Here is what I keep in my backpack: Bino's, range finder, compass, matches, flashlight, batteries, hand warmers, THERMOCELL with extra cartridges and patches, Scent-Away, deer calls, couple of granola bars, bottle of water, a pen and notebook to write my observations and take notes of weather, wind, temp, etc.

Get a good pair of gloves and insulated boots, insulated rubber boots if you are going places where your feet may get wet. DO NOT SPARE EXPENSES ON BOOTS OR GLOVES!!! Cold hands and feet can make for a miserable hunt and your feet do not have to get wet for them to get really cold!! I made the mistake of buying a cheap $75 pair of boots a couple of years ago. Now they are my camp boots. You can get a good pair of insulated rubber boots for $150 up to $300. And get a few pairs of warm socks that wick away the moisture. If you are hunting when it is really cold, always wear at least 3 layers (long sleeve under shirt, fleece or flannel and a good water resistant jacket. Gortex if you can swing it. It normally doesn't get that cold in S. Louisiana but on those few days a year when it is that cold is when the deer will be moving.

Deer movement:
    That varies but find out when the rut normally is for the area you are hunting and hunt that period hard. I like hunting either just before a big front moves in or right after a rain. The deer will bed down during heavy rain and will get up to feed once it stops. Be in your stand when the rain stops! Don't over hunt one stand before the rut.

Deer have better noses than dogs and you will leave your scent no matter how hard you try not too. And that brings us to the most important subject... Scent control. I don't buy into all of the Scent-Lock clothing and BS but I do wash all of my hunting clothes in a scent free detergent, dry them in the dryer and put them in trash bags and seal them until I am ready to hunt. I normally run my washing machine 2-3 times with nothing in it but water (no detergent) to get the Tide scent out of the washer, and then I wash my hunting clothes in a scent free soap that you can get at any sporting goods store. After washing and drying them I seal them in a trash bag and don't open it until I get dressed to go hunting. I take a shower with scent free soap and shampoo before going out and use scent free deodorant. Use the scent free spray to spray yourself down before walking to your stand for any scents you may have picked up in your truck and always try to position yourself upwind from where you think the deer will be!

Do some research online. You will find of ton of information. Once you get that first deer in your crosshairs you will be hooked!! Be patient, we don't see a lot of deer in S. Louisiana. You may go the entire season without seeing anything but don't give up! Try to find a hunting club that fits your personality.

I hope this helps. Sorry I was long winded but hunting is not a passion for me... It's an OBSESION!!

Top Bottom