New Honey Island WMA & Range Info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brooksmd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2013
    Bush, LA
    SELFS recently completed negotiations over a new 10 year lease for the range and there are new sign-in procedures for shooters. If you are simply going out to use the range and nothing else, you no longer are required to stop at the WMA entrance and fill out the card. Simply go straight to the range where everyone signing in takes a numbered ticket. You will enter that ticket number when you sign the logbook. Hold on to that ticket until you leave the WMA. If you're stopped by LDWF agents on the way in tell them you're going to the range. If you're stopped on the way out, the numbered ticket is your proof. If you do anything other than going straight in and out of the range you are still required to complete the card at the WMA entrance.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Really, how hard is it to fill out that little form?

JR1572

It's not hard. No one is pretending it is. The reason that they changed it is because Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries was tired of having to keep track of 50,000 self-clearing permit cards from people who were only driving to the range. They actually tried to get the range to keep up with the cards, but SELFS said no thanks.

Nothing "hard" about it. But it was a pointless stop.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It's not hard. No one is pretending it is. The reason that they changed it is because Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries was tired of having to keep track of 50,000 self-clearing permit cards from people who were only driving to the range. They actually tried to get the range to keep up with the cards, but SELFS said no thanks.

Nothing "hard" about it. But it was a pointless stop.

I'll still leave them a card. After all, I want them to have record that the range is being used. If they have the cards, that could prevent them from saying that the range isn't being used that much. I don't have much faith in the record keeping of the people at the range, but that's a story for another thread.

JR1572

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'll still leave them a card. After all, I want them to have record that the range is being used. If they have the cards, that could prevent them from saying that the range isn't being used that much. I don't have much faith in the record keeping of the people at the range, but that's a story for another thread.

JR1572

Not a bad idea. If you happen to be caught anywhere you don't need to be to get to the range, you get a ticket.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA

JR1572

No need to do that.. Wildlife and Fisheries gets all range shooting stats from SELFs

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La

JR1572

i think my wife does a great job out there.

Top Bottom