New Orleans is changing..........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    How many of "these people" do you know? I have a LOT of friends that would be considered liberal that live in the areas you're talking about. Their views on guns range from "don't give a **** either way" to "please help me pick out a gun and teach me how to use it". The majority of them are not naive to their surroundings and still have a sense of self preservation. Even the oblivious ones don't care either way.

There's not much political activism in New Orleans on either side of the fence. Most people just wanna party and do their thing and could care less about what other people do.

I'm with speed on this. I'm not far displaced from college (albeit, LSU) and while I do know a handful of far-left leaning folks who wouldn't give up on the fight, many of the hipster/yuppie/urban gentrification types:

a) Don't care either way
    b) Are aware of the situation (and locale) they are in and appreciate the need to protect themselves
    c) Despite living in urban centers, they like to tout a sense of self-sufficiency and given the opportunity would go hunting with you

I know a lot of long-haired, plaid-wearing, tree-hugging dudes you'd immediately dismiss as hipsters that have shotguns propped up in their closet and hunt the **** out of some ducks. Hell, I wear thick-framed glasses and plaid shirts sometimes...I pass on the skinny jeans though.

On top of that, aren't they only displacing the pre-existing liberals and in far less quantities?

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Any decrease in violence is a win for New Orleans and any increase in revenue is a win for Louisiana.

Our laws are strong and our people are passionate. Hipsters are a mixed bag. Some are pro 2a, some are ambivalent, and some anti.

I am a previous NY resident (born and raised) and never shot a gun until moving to Louisiana.

I know VERY republican folks who have lived here their whole lives who don't understand why you'd want an "assault rifle."

I am now as pro 2a as anyone on here.

Louisiana has a way of changing people. People come here for various reasons, but we stay for the people, the culture, and the food.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    and the point of the thread was to get all of us talking about it.

I'm not saying that what is happening is a bad thing. In fact economically its a win.

Just that we need to be aware of the potential fight down the road.

This was a response from one blue state shooter forum in response to my thread:

-----------------------

wish you the best in your efforts - it looks like things are already starting there:

- The State Police say nothing has changed, yet:
    The passage of Act 874 of the 2012 Regular Legislative Session and the recently passed amendment to the constitution regarding the "strict scrutiny" standard does not nullify present laws regarding firearms or handguns.

But last year they screwed with your Constitution:

Old Constitution
    §11. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.

New Amended Constitution:
    §11. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.

I see there was a lot of debate on both sides, and I know I am in Maryland, we have our own version of insanity.

To me the Old version says - Don't Touch Anything, except CCW laws
    The New version says - Don't Touch Anything, but if you do, think about it real hard first.

The old version pulled out one bit, and said you could change it with laws.
    The new version opens all gun related matters, and requires only -strict scrutiny-

If the lawmakers did not want infringement to be an option, why did they need the second sentence. I read views about 'strict scrutiny' being a difficult test of law, but before, there was no option for scrutiny of any type. I am sure that doing something 'for the children' or saving 'just one life' is more than enough reason to pass any scrutiny test.

And it is not just a law, is was a change to your Constitution. The State Police seem to be Pro-2A which is a huge help, but now what is unconstitutional has changed.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Any decrease in violence is a win for New Orleans and any increase in revenue is a win for Louisiana.

Our laws are strong and our people are passionate. Hipsters are a mixed bag. Some are pro 2a, some are ambivalent, and some anti.

I am a previous NY resident (born and raised) and never shot a gun until moving to Louisiana.

I know VERY republican folks who have lived here their whole lives who don't understand why you'd want an "assault rifle."

I am now as pro 2a as anyone on here.

Louisiana has a way of changing people. People come here for various reasons, but we stay for the people, the culture, and the food.

Man, you hit the nail on the head. I agree completely. (aside from the New York Part; I'm born and bred I-12 :dogkeke:)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Late to the party, but...

Did you actually stop and talk to any of these hipsters/hippies/whatever?

A very large cross-section of my friends in this city fall into that category. The vast majority work now or have in the past for AmeriCorps, Habitat for Humanity, Teach for America, etc. We're talking true social-program believers here-- 95% Democrat.

They all know I carry, and what I do with my time. And they all still love me. Given, there are a few that lean more towards the silly utopian ideals of "no weapons = no violence"-- but barely any of our group take those folks seriously, on any subject.

I get asked almost every day to take someone shooting, MOST often by people with zero experience with firearms or who have only recently just shot their first one. I've helped transplants from NYC, Chicago and California select and train up on firearms for home and self defense. All right here, in the Big Sleazy.

And you know what the biggest factor in this transformation/realization is? Us-- the gun owners, carriers and thereby representatives of the culture and 2A itself. I've also been told several times, "I was a little sketched out when I found out you carried a handgun all of the time-- but now you're my favorite! Can you teach me about them?"

If we approach them with the pre-determined notion that they're bad for the city/state/situation, guess how likely they are to come around to the truth?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Late to the party, but...

Did you actually stop and talk to any of these hipsters/hippies/whatever?

A very large cross-section of my friends in this city fall into that category. The vast majority work now or have in the past for AmeriCorps, Habitat for Humanity, Teach for America, etc. We're talking true social-program believers here-- 95% Democrat.

They all know I carry, and what I do with my time. And they all still love me. Given, there are a few that lean more towards the silly utopian ideals of "no weapons = no violence"-- but barely any of our group take those folks seriously, on any subject.

I get asked almost every day to take someone shooting, MOST often by people with zero experience with firearms or who have only recently just shot their first one. I've helped transplants from NYC, Chicago and California select and train up on firearms for home and self defense. All right here, in the Big Sleazy.

And you know what the biggest factor in this transformation/realization is? Us-- the gun owners, carriers and thereby representatives of the culture and 2A itself. I've also been told several times, "I was a little sketched out when I found out you carried a handgun all of the time-- but now you're my favorite! Can you teach me about them?"

If we approach them with the pre-determined notion that they're bad for the city/state/situation, guess how likely they are to come around to the truth?

Considering the huge number of "progressives, liberals, or people that blindly vote D on EVERY election" have such devotion to the pretender and his failed policies, and still think he is doing a good job; I'd say you got lucky on yours.

Maybe it's just me and folks like me, but I have never, would never, follow blindly, ANY dumbass politician with ANY letter behind his name with a record of failure and incompetence. Much less continue to convince myself that because he's "my" guy; I should follow him regardless. That to me, is a sickness!

It's amazing to me how converted liberals detest what they thought they believed when they are finally cured. My mother was one of them.

And FWIW: Those that do the same on the other side of the spectrum are just as ill.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Considering the huge number of "progressives, liberals, or people that blindly vote D on EVERY election" have such devotion to the pretender and his failed policies, and still think he is doing a good job; I'd say you got lucky on yours.

Maybe it's just me and folks like me, but I have never, would never, follow blindly, ANY dumbass politician with ANY letter behind his name with a record of failure and incompetence. Much less continue to convince myself that because he's "my" guy; I should follow him regardless. That to me, is a sickness!

It's amazing to me how converted liberals detest what they thought they believed when they are finally cured. My mother was one of them.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I think a lot of their views are effing retarded, and typically steer clear of the political and social discussions-- unless willfully drawn into them, of course.

But the topic was 2A as it relates to the state, and more specifically, the city. And in that regard-- they're actually not at all opposed to it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I think a lot of their views are effing retarded, and typically steer clear of the political and social discussions-- unless willfully drawn into them, of course.

But the topic was 2A as it relates to the state, and more specifically, the city. And in that regard-- they're actually not at all opposed to it.

If I agree with your assessment, I would still wonder why the majority of democrats are the faces of the anti-2A crowd in this country?!?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Because a anti-2a republican would have a hard time getting many votes.

Maybe! But that's not really the answer! Why do democrats champion this issue? Which constituency; race, ethnic group, religion, ideology, gives them their marching orders to be douches?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If I agree with your assessment, I would still wonder why the majority of democrats are the faces of the anti-2A crowd in this country?!?

Because not all D/Liberal cities are just blue specks in a sea of red, as per NOLA here in South Louisiana?

I dunno, I can't speak for the rest of the country-- or honestly, even for hipsters/hippies/Libs/whatever past my own circle of friends. What I can say is that, friend or stranger, the vast majority of left-leaning voters I engage in the topic of 2A is either in support of our rights, or doesn't really care. Those that are totally anti-gun are few and far between-- except in politics, or as loud mouth media ass hats. (At least in my limited experience.)

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Plus, I will say this...Someone that is politically left but still favors the 2A tends to be someone that can be converted to a conservative.

Some people immediately discount liberals (which I admit is easy to do), but if we work to show them the importance of freedom, they can be turned.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Plus, I will say this...Someone that is politically left but still favors the 2A tends to be someone that can be converted to a conservative.

Some people immediately discount liberals (which I admit is easy to do), but if we work to show them the importance of freedom, they can be turned.

Your biggest hurdles will be them overcoming the mental struggle (sickness), they have with the many contradictions of what they believe. How can you be FOR individual liberty and the "Right" that comes with the 2nd Amendment and also be FOR government mandated health care?

And does being a conservative guarantee a person can't be a douche? I don't think so! How about we just shoot for independent educated thought processes by people. Do you realize how many problems we could solve if issues were honestly approached with critical thought?

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    It is not just Nola, its Baton Rouge, and others.. Look at Louisville , Ky.. same same.. it sucks..

As someone originally from there, there is Kentucky and there is Louisville, and yes BR has its selection of liberals also although my experience is ALL university towns are liberal leaning.

As long as we run this country like a democracy and not a republic all states are at risk.

Last edited:

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Your biggest hurdles will be them overcoming the mental struggle (sickness), they have with the many contradictions of what they believe. How can you be FOR individual liberty and the "Right" that comes with the 2nd Amendment and also be FOR government mandated health care?

And does being a conservative guarantee a person can't be a douche? I don't think so! How about we just shoot for independent educated thought processes by people. Do you realize how many problems we could solve if issues were honestly approached with critical thought?

My youngest daughter had a middle school science teacher that gave her bogus information about constellations in the night sky. At that time, I had been a serious amateur astronomer for more than 15 years. My daughter and I spent about 2 hours under the stars and I successfully corrected her teacher's faulty instruction. My daughter had an astronomy test about two weeks later and made a score of 90%. When I reviewed the questions, my daughter actually answered the questions correctly, but because the teacher was ill-informed on the subject of astronomy, she marked my daughter's paper incorrectly. I made an appointment with the teacher and the school's principle. During the meeting, I provided proof that the teacher's instruction was incorrect and asked to have the grade changed on my daughter's test paper. The teacher acknowledged the information that refuted her instruction, but she refused to change the grade and the principal stood behind his teacher's decision. It was at that time that I first realized that there was no REAL teaching going on in the public school system.

When my girls were in school, especially middle and high school, critical thought was one of many things that were never taught to them or their peers. For example, they were taught to punch numbers into a calculator to solve math problems, and when I asked them to solve the same problems without using a calculator, by writing out the equation and solution on a piece of paper, they couldn't do it because their teachers never taught them the process of working the problem to come up with a final solution.

At the end of one of my oldest daughter's 1st semesters in high school, she brought home her report card with an A, a couple of Bs, and the rest were Cs. All of her previous report cards were mostly As, with 1 or 2 Bs at the most. When my wife and I sat her down to find out what was happening, we determined that she was being lazy and spending too much time talking on the phone and watching TV. When we told her the phone and TV were off-limits to her until we got her next report card, she protested vociferously, saying: "All the other kids got Cs on their report cards..." We informed her that she was not "all the other kids" and that we expected more from her, because we knew she could do it. Her next report card had 1 B and the rest were As.

Schools are teaching students to think only a certain way; there is no real push for students to become exceptional. Mediocre is the norm and independent thought and/or expression is discouraged and frowned upon. To say that students are being indoctrinated, in the public school system, is a huge understatement...

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Because not all D/Liberal cities are just blue specks in a sea of red, as per NOLA here in South Louisiana?

I dunno, I can't speak for the rest of the country-- or honestly, even for hipsters/hippies/Libs/whatever past my own circle of friends. What I can say is that, friend or stranger, the vast majority of left-leaning voters I engage in the topic of 2A is either in support of our rights, or doesn't really care. Those that are totally anti-gun are few and far between-- except in politics, or as loud mouth media ass hats. (At least in my limited experience.)

The problem is those who don't really care, and a fair % of those who support the 2nd....

Still vote "D"

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    My youngest daughter had a middle school science teacher that gave her bogus information about constellations in the night sky. At that time, I had been a serious amateur astronomer for more than 15 years. My daughter and I spent about 2 hours under the stars and I successfully corrected her teacher's faulty instruction. My daughter had an astronomy test about two weeks later and made a score of 90%. When I reviewed the questions, my daughter actually answered the questions correctly, but because the teacher was ill-informed on the subject of astronomy, she marked my daughter's paper incorrectly. I made an appointment with the teacher and the school's principle. During the meeting, I provided proof that the teacher's instruction was incorrect and asked to have the grade changed on my daughter's test paper. The teacher acknowledged the information that refuted her instruction, but she refused to change the grade and the principal stood behind his teacher's decision. It was at that time that I first realized that there was no REAL teaching going on in the public school system.

When my girls were in school, especially middle and high school, critical thought was one of many things that were never taught to them or their peers. For example, they were taught to punch numbers into a calculator to solve math problems, and when I asked them to solve the same problems without using a calculator, by writing out the equation and solution on a piece of paper, they couldn't do it because their teachers never taught them the process of working the problem to come up with a final solution.

At the end of one of my oldest daughter's 1st semesters in high school, she brought home her report card with an A, a couple of Bs, and the rest were Cs. All of her previous report cards were mostly As, with 1 or 2 Bs at the most. When my wife and I sat her down to find out what was happening, we determined that she was being lazy and spending too much time talking on the phone and watching TV. When we told her the phone and TV were off-limits to her until we got her next report card, she protested vociferously, saying: "All the other kids got Cs on their report cards..." We informed her that she was not "all the other kids" and that we expected more from her, because we knew she could do it. Her next report card had 1 B and the rest were As.

Schools are teaching students to think only a certain way; there is no real push for students to become exceptional. Mediocre is the norm and independent thought and/or expression is discouraged and frowned upon. To say that students are being indoctrinated, in the public school system, is a huge understatement...

It's refreshing to see others see it so clearly too. :D

Top Bottom