New Reloader In Need of Guidance for 45 ACP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Gentlemen,

I'm somewhat new to reloading. I recently acquired a Dillon 550 and I'm trying to load 45 ACP. My components are, once fired brass, CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers, Bayou Bullets 230 gr LRN, and Unique powder. I have a Lyman 49th ed. manual that I bought and read before I got into this but it does not have any load data for a 230 gr LRN bullet with Unique powder. I checked Alliant Powder's website and the only thing they say is to use 5.8 gr and start off 10% below that.

Can anyone suggest a good load for this powder/bullet combo with Min/Max powder and OAL?

Also, can anyone suggest a method to gaining more precision with the 550's powder throws? I was testing out powder throws last night and they would be anywhere from 5.44 to 5.64 gr and not consistent enough for me to really trust what powder weight it was distributing. Should I have cleaned the powder bar before attempting to load with it?

Thanks in advance.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    My .02 first thing first go out and pick yourself up a couple more loading manuals. Multiple reference points are always a plus and other manuals may have the bullet style and powder combination you are looking for.

For your starting load info i typically find the two bullet profiles closest to what i am loading one heavier and one lighter and basically average them out so if you have a 200gr lead bullet liad data and a 250gr lead bullet data compare the two and interpolate. You will likely find that your lighter bullet data may be 4.0-6.0 and your heavier from 3.8-5.8. I normally take the 4.0 and the 5.8 as my working range and then work up from the bottom.

The noted charges are only examples of my practices and what i have learned from more experienced loaders and are not suggested loads.

As for your powder consistant cycles is the main thing. Also i have been told to run a lb of powder through any new thrower to get it coated. Also some powders just dont meter well stick powders normally being the worst.

Hope some of that is usefull

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have loaded several thousand rounds with 4.5 grains Unique under a 230 grain LRN boolit (these are range/plinking rounds) and it has been a very good combination for me. ALSO-- are you using a final sizing die?? I had problems with consistent chambering until I began using the sizing die as the last station.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Sks, which manuals would you recommend. I'm currently only loading pistol rounds but will eventually move to rifles.

The last die in my press is the Dillon crimp die for 45 that comes as part of their 3-die set.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    This is a page from Alliant's 2006 PDF and it shows some great data for 45ACP, finding powder seems to be the issue so having this can assist with what you might find. Red Dot

Alliant2006datapg45_zps310b747b.jpg

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    The original Lee manual is available on line for free down load. Search for it here for the link.. I also shoot lots of 230gr Bayou Bullits. One of my loads is 5gr of Unique and it Chonys at 760fps. Have been using 700x as of late as I can't find Bullseye or Unique powder, My 700x load is 4.5gr and Chronys at 740-760fps. I also recommend never trying someones loads until you work up to that point.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    They are show as is with pressure values (which seems to be lacking in many of todays loading manuals) The pressures are below the SAAMI max but have been safe in my testing...

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I agree that using others loads is a step further down the road than I'm currently at. Is your 5gr Unique load a Min load?

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Yes 5gr of Unique is a starting load or target load. You will find that the hotter loads aren't always very accurate. Lots of variables but I have learned the slower I can move a lead bullit the more accurate it is. For targets, paper punching, or steel plates these loads are great. The loading chart Shadow left for you actually shows this load with very low pressure.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    The information you and Shadow have provided has been great.

Do you guys have any clues as to what makes my powder charges seem to vary +/- .2 gr? Is this an acceptable variance for Unique?

Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    The information u and Shadow have provided has been great.

Do you guys have any clues as to what makes my powder charges seem to vary +/- .2 gr? Is this an acceptable variance for Unique?
    Have 2 Dillon 650s. Is your 550 new or used. If used u need to take apart the pow mea and clean it really well with alcohol wipes. Do not use cleaning solvents or oils. Let dry put back together. Do the same to powder die and tube. Also take a fabric softener sheet and wipe the inside of the powder canister good. As for as the +/-.2 it maybe the powder u are using. Ball, flakes, stick all meter different. When I get powders that do that, I'll load in the middle so it will be one either way. Just remember even the best presses aren't always perfect every time and as you load more you will know where to set the powder to get your loads. To start I would drop powder about 10-20 times before starting to reload and check every ten rds for grains to u get used to it.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    It is a new press. I'll give it a cleaning tonight.

Dillion's are the top of the line but they aren't perfect. Also make sure u have the travel rod for the powder bar adjusted right. Need to make sure it makes a full travel open to close. If not you will have bad powder throws.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    I recently started loading 45acp w/ 700x due to availability. Have loaded w/ Bullseye and Unique for 45, 38spec and 357 magnum since around 1980. The powder is easier to meter than 700x and thus the loads are more consistant. Which is what we are looking for. Cleaning your equipment and keeping it clean and static free can do nothing but help with charge consistency. Short of weighing every charge my best advice is to throw the charge the same way everytime.
    One other piece of advice is to buy a Lee factory crimp die. For auto cartridges it is one of the best tools available for getting a precision cartridge every round. Takes all of the bulges out of the case and makes the round feed easier.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    One other piece of advice is to buy a Lee factory crimp die. For auto cartridges it is one of the best tools available for getting a precision cartridge every round. Takes all of the bulges out of the case and makes the round feed easier.

What separates the Lee crimp die from the Dillon one?

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    What separates the Lee crimp die from the Dillon one?

Nothing. Some people seem to think because it says factory crimp it's better. I've used both and both do the same. I just like the Dillon now because you don't have to take the whole die out of the tool head to clean it just the insert that's the only difference. Get u a case gauge to check your finished rds or use the barrel of your gun. The case gauge is set to the tightest tolerance like a 1911 so if it drops in its good. If it sticking out a little use your barrel to check to be sure it will fit. After a while you will know what u can get away with if it sticks out gauge a little.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    After you clean it, I don't know how you go about setting your powder charge, but what I do is take the rod off, when I add powder to the hopper I cycle the measure by hand at least 20 times in a cup or suitable container and dump it back in the hopper. Then throw 10 charges cycled with your thumb and measure if you are looking for 5.0 grains, it should show 50.0 +/- .2 is what I shoot for. If you have to make an adjustment, make the adjustment cycle two times in container, then cycle another 10 times to check if the change you made is closer. You can do less than 10 till you get close, but your final should be 10 times which will give a better average than just checking once. The measure may vary a couple of .1ths and the make your load more consistant. Also with Bayou's set your crimp at .469 and OAL at 1.155-1.160.

Top Bottom