New Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Dave, that's a nice scope but not what that rifle was meant for. While I'm curious what kind of accuracy you'll get with a good scope on it, you're giving up the handiness. When I eventually get one of those (or something similar) I plan on either doing a 2x or maybe even a small red dot.

This is what I always picture when I hear "scout rifle".

20114189548-025_m.jpg

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I do like that rifle Ritten. I wouldn't care about the extra length but I bet its a bit heavy.

Dave, that's a nice scope but not what that rifle was meant for. While I'm curious what kind of accuracy you'll get with a good scope on it, you're giving up the handiness. When I eventually get one of those (or something similar) I plan on either doing a 2x or maybe even a small red dot.

I realize that but it is what I want to do with it. I have an AR for my red dot and 3x type purposes. I just really liked this rifle and this is what I wanted to do with it. I know I am not alone because of the number I have seen with traditional mounts on them. The guys at the place I bought it today agreed with my decision too. I am not a fan of the scout type forward mount scopes. I expect very good accuracy with it after seeing how well it did with irons.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can come up with a situation where I'd rather have a bolt gun (for long shots). I can come up with a situation where I'd rather have an AR (multiple targets). But what if you can only pack one rifle and limited ammo. Say you're traveling on foot and have a full load of camping gear on your back. The scout concept gives you a gun that is ok at everything, instead of a specialty rifle. I've carried a #5 jungle carbine most of my outdoor life, which is very similar to the Ruger scout (power, size, mag capacity, etc). Once you go to a scout the idea of carrying a 12 pound rifle seems crazy.

I was hoping they would make the rifle lighter. That stock is heavier than it needs to be.

You've nailed it. It's a decent "all arounder".

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The survivors of the British 1st Para regiment drop into Holland in 1944 would not share your amusement.

In those closing days of the war, the Germans were desperate for troops. They assembled a bunch of old hunting masters and game guides; men who were too old to run & gun, but were perfectly suitable for a static defensive position. The Brits were dropped right in amongst them (Allied intelligence had no idea they were there), and those old men with bolt rifles proceeded to shred the elite paratroops with precision rifle fire... pretty much like the Boers did to the Brits a half-century earlier.

Moral of the story... you don't need to be an elite ninja with a twelve pound, fully tricked-out AR to be deadly... although a lot of folks seem to think those are pre-requisites to be taken seriously.:rolleyes:

At 40 yards? :confused:

I don't doubt the effectiveness anymore than I question the awesome power of a heavy cavalry charge during the Medieval Era.

But all things being equal, I think more modern designs probably have the edge inside 100 yards. Indeed, you scatter entire sticks of even the most elite troops on the battlefield all over a fortified enemy position, it's going to get ugly-- especially when the enemy tucked inside those bunkers can shoot. Were they running bolt action Enfield of their own? Icky.

Oh, and my AR weighs in right at 7.5 pounds. :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Bolt guns were used much later than WWII effectively. The jungle carbine was in use in Malayan conflict by Brit forces (plus Rhodesian SAS and Ghurkas) in the mid '50's. Afghanis were using Enfields fighting the USSR in the 80's even. I remember reading stories about the Afghanis prefering the Enfields over AK's for the additional range.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    At varying ranges, according to the account I read; which I found while looking for something else. It was in a piece on Operation Market-Garden. The Brits were moving to capture one of the five bridges planned for that mission, and these old guys with bolt guns had been placed straddling the main avenue of approach. The Brits eventually took the bridge, but the point here is that a bunch of "old men with bolt guns"- and NO artillery support- kept a modern force of young combat-hardened veteran troops, who had individual and squad automatic weapons, at bay for almost two full days.

Cooper also mentioned it in one of his books.

Crazy. I will so have to look this up when I get a minute.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A Scout Rifle should not be confused with a "battle rifle" or "battle carbine". Sure, it could do in the hands of a skilled rifleman in a pinch but that's not it's raison d'être.

I perceive that it's worth it's weight in gold as a centerfire, rifle calibered carbine that's employed as a general purpose tool.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    A Scout Rifle should not be confused with a "battle rifle" or "battle carbine". Sure, it could do in the hands of a skilled rifleman in a pinch but that's not it's raison d'être.

I perceive that it's worth it's weight in gold as a centerfire, rifle calibered carbine that's employed as a general purpose tool.

i'll second dat, too !

Top Bottom