New Sierra and Silverado

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Going check them out today. I'll let y'all know my opinion later. I like the GMC better, judging by the pics. Gotta see them in person though. Only problem is I get Chevy's at $100 over cost. GMC not so much but I can get employee pricing thru my company. Anyone what kind of discount that is?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I liked my Sierra much more over my Chevy I had. My Sierra was an '09 and my Chevy was a '10
    Honestly though.... I like my dodge more than both now.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    GMCs tend to have more minor electrical quirks but I'd get another before a Chevy and light years before a Dodge.
    Pending how Fords new diesel works out I'd look hard at them.
    Not to turn this into a XvsXvsX thread...
    Have at it!

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    GMCs tend to have more minor electrical quirks but I'd get another before a Chevy and light years before a Dodge.
    Have at it!

Hey now I was a Chevy guy.
    My ram has much more power, rides better, nicer interior, and pulls much better than the other two 1500's. oh and it looks better in my opinion lol
    Dodge has come a long way.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    Have at it!

I had an 07 Sierra and now have a 2010 Dodge. I was a GM guy my whole life. Never thought I'd own a Dodge, until I drove a new one. Dodge interior is better, ride is better, and the power.....Its unreal how much better it is than the 5.3. That 5.3 would be good in a car, but not so much in a full size truck. It needs to rev too high. Add a few thousand pounds of trailer on and :mamoru:. I'd cringe every time I'd come up to a hill with cruise on and the tach would hit 5k.

And I dont really see how the GMC would have more electrical quirks, seeing as they are essentially the same truck with minor cosmetic differences? The GMCs definitely look better, so that is the route I'd go if I was going to definitely have one of those two.

BTW Jason Ellis has a Dodge. :cool:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I just looked up the 2014 Sierra and the newest body looks basically like they said "We saw how well the Ford trucks are selling, so we're selling F150s with our badge on the front now" I mean the only major dif I can really make out is rounded fender flares versus boxy flares. Cracks me up.

ford_truck_f_150_supercrew_4x4_145_in._wb_xlt_styleside_2011
    CG17584

Trucks these days seem to get more and more convergent on their body style.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    +1 on the Dodge. I own the Durango now and was once the most die hard Toyota man you ever had met. I won't go back. They make great motors and the transmission issue is a thing of a decade ago. I am completely satisfied beyond all expectations.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My experience has been on the farm with 3/4 ton 4X4s. Our trucks are bought new every 8years and the last 3 dodges are worn out before their time. Especially the front ends and also have trouble with the Cummins blue Tec. Now there was a neighbor with a Chevy DEF engine that had $10K worth of damage to his fuel system recently but it was under warranty.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    After looking at them I have to say this. The pictures don't do the Chevy's justice. On the other hand the GMC's look better in the pics than they do in person. I'm still torn. They're things I like more one one and the other.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    My 01 silverado has 228k on it, tows and hauls like it always has and it's got a 4.8

The older Chevys are nothing like the new ones. Expect a let down going from the older body style to the new one. I had the 4.8 in my 2010 and the MPG was terrible. My Sierra 4x4 5.3 was much better but still not enough power and whined like a fat chick when I hooked anything up to it. A utility trailer with a grizzly 450 on it dropped me to 11mpg and no power. My first truck was a 98' dodge 5.9L, hated it and traded a guy for a 99 Chevy 5.7. Had it until I graduated school. Bought 2010 Chevy 4-door 4.8 after a year I just couldn't do it (terrible milage and no power to pull a decent trailer). Traded it in on a 2009 Sierra Z71 4x4 loaded and had some engine trouble (burned 4 quarts of oil within 2000 miles and started knocking) nice truck with decent milage until pulling anything, it would drop quick!! Traded it in for the 2013 dodge ram 1500 5.7 I drive now and the difference is amazing. I pull a triple axle trailer every now and them for work. Much better and still maintain 17mpg at 65 (normal is 15-16 city and 23-24 at 65mph) truck is stock other than being leveled out.
    I love the ram and it ride like a caddy. This is just my experience with these trucks.
    If I had only a choice of GMC or CHEVY I would go GMC.
    If I had a choice of several models, do not count the dodge out.
    Ford was to rich for my tastes and one of our vendors has new ford and they have trouble with them so I stayed away. For the ford with the same features and all as my ram was around 7K more. Same thing with the GM's.
    good luck.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I bought a 2013 silverado, there starting to practically give them away. Plus they have had 5 years to work out the bugs. I wouldnt buy a new body style as soon as they come no telling what kind of engineering screw ups there were they wont know about until its been in the market a while.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I also do not support Govment Motors. Sure they are cheaper - we're subsidizing them with our tax dollars.
    (Bought a new washer and dryer yesterday. GE was heavily discounted to $449 each. Selling like hotcakes. Ended up with $1550 Samsung pair. I cannot bear to support the enemy even if it costs more.)
    But this was not supposed to be a political discussion - sorry. Got carried away. Congrats on being able to buy a new truck - and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Top Bottom