New to Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winner1911

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Well i just finished the move to Br, and am very unfamiliar with the area. I'm a big shooter and would like to know of some good ranges preferably outdoors. Or any events in the area for this type of hobby.

Just general knowledge of stuff to do, i don't know many people at all down here or much else other than Geaux tigers!

Any info or just suggestions of things to do in my downtime would be greatly appreciated

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome to the Big City.

Things are kind of sparse as far as outdoor shooting in Baton Rouge.
    Well, I guess it depends where you live in BR. Some areas have lots of outdoor shooting:p
    Hunters Run is across the river in Port Allen. It is mostly skeet, trap, and sporting clays.
    They do have a hundred yard rifle range and a pistol range. Very nice facilities and nice folks.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Red diamond is a small range on Choctaw. It's not great but the staff is super nice and its Always empty. Precision off coursey is great. They run strict rules and are nice people. It's generally got a fair amount of people. Bass pro has a pistol range. I've tried to shoot there a couple of times but it seems a difficult process to know if they are doing a concealed class and the door personnel can be a little inexperienced with handling firearms. Sherburne (outdoor public range) across the river is great and free. It's about an hour drive, but the onsite staff seem nice and I've never had a problem there. Just get a fishing license first.

Just a couple of thoughts. Hope that helps.

winner1911

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the advice. I have several guns that i shoot at various distances, but i just had a custom made 338 and was hoping for a 1,000 yard range. That rifle at 100 yards is just not fun

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    You can always drive over to the Sherburne WMA by Krotz Springs, roughly 45 minute drive. It has rifle, pistol, 2x skeet, and an archery range. It's free to use, but you have to have a hunting or fishing license, and you are required to fill out a self clearing permit ($350 fine, first offense).

Google Map URL of the Sherburne WMA complex.

http://goo.gl/maps/oTohk

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome! The two ranges that I frequent the most are Precision and Sherburne.

Sherburne is outdoors and recommended a lot. I'm not sure you're going to find a 1,000 yard range around here. Although I could be wrong (I don't want to give you the wrong info).

Stuff to do, well, there's downtown, bars, meeting people, etc.

I went through this not too long ago in helping a friend get accustomed to the area so if you need any pointers just holler!

Top Bottom