New to Bayou

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hello I am new to the Bayou state, this forum, and shooting. Louisiana seems to be opening up a whole new world to me.

I am Christine.

Originally from the Northeast and have been living in Baton Rouge for about 2 years now. I am loving the opportunity to explore all that Louisiana has to offer, but still have a ton more to do/see around here.

I have shot a few guns at this point, including a Ruger .22, a LC9, an HK45, a .38 revolver, and a red ryder. I don't own all of these guns (actually, as a disclaimer, I don't own any guns, my husband does, lol), just borrowed we didn't own from friends to test out.

My husband referred me to this site.

I saw that there was a woman's section, but also noticed that the posting there seems to be a bit infrequent. While I have searched through there a few times, I was hoping I wouldn't violate any rules by tagging two questions to this introduction.

1. I am curious if anyone has any more recent thoughts on conceal carry holsters for girls?

As a disclaimer, I did read through several threads discussing this on the forum and was just looking for updated thoughts since many of the original posts were made more than 1 year ago and that gives a good amount of time for someone to change or form an opinion. I have read a few things both positive and negative on the flashbang and am pretty sure that isn't an option for me. I do have a purse that has a dedicated carry pocket in the front of the purse, but also understand the danger of carrying in a purse, including theft of the purse and the potential for the gun to snag if I were to try to pull it out. Not sure how I feel about waistband carriers since I usually wear fairly tightfitting tops but looser pants.

2. Does anyone know a range where I might be able to rent an LCR .22? I am debating between this and an LC9, but have only shot an LC9, and would prefer to shoot the LCR .22 to see if I like it better. The LC9 is a bit hard for me to handle at times, and I am concerned that I could only get one shot off in a panic situation. Sure, some may say one shot is all I would need, but I would like the ability to shoot more than once if I felt I needed to.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

CY09

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Welcome from another lady shooter. It is lots of fun and you can get lots of friendly advice and help here. I have never been to Precision Firearms in Baton Rouge, but they do advertise M-Th ladies can shoot in there indoor range without any range fees. I'm sure they will get there money somewhere, but maybe you should check it out. I'm sure you can rent all sorts of guns there. Like you, I started off thinking a small sized gun would suit me best, but that has not turned out to be the case. I would stay away from the sub compacts and go to at least the compact size. You will be surprised how much "easier" a bigger gun is to shoot. But try some out before buying one.

As far as conceal carry, there are all sorts of choices. Look up Limalife on youtube. She has lots of good options for women. Also google the Cornered Cat. Both of those should get you started.

Good luck.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Welcome! Like CY09 said, go to Precision Firearms Mon-Thurs for free range fees, and they do have many rental options. The larger frame handguns are going to be more comfortable for you to shoot with. My wife carries a full-size in her purse, so she doesn't have to worry about the holster issue.

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome from another lady shooter. It is lots of fun and you can get lots of friendly advice and help here. I have never been to Precision Firearms in Baton Rouge, but they do advertise M-Th ladies can shoot in there indoor range without any range fees. I'm sure they will get there money somewhere, but maybe you should check it out. I'm sure you can rent all sorts of guns there. Like you, I started off thinking a small sized gun would suit me best, but that has not turned out to be the case. I would stay away from the sub compacts and go to at least the compact size. You will be surprised how much "easier" a bigger gun is to shoot. But try some out before buying one.

As far as conceal carry, there are all sorts of choices. Look up Limalife on youtube. She has lots of good options for women. Also google the Cornered Cat. Both of those should get you started.

Good luck.

Just wanted to follow up, and let you know that I went to Precision Firearms yesterday with a friend. Really nice range, and the guy at the counter was more than helpful! So if you get a chance to go, I would totally recommend them.

Shot a Beretta .380. That felt better than the LC9 we currently have in terms of handeling, but I am still going to continue to look at options before deciding, since I am not sure that this is the perfect gun. Hubby's argument, which is pretty valid imo, is that I probably won't shoot a .380 as much as other guns since the ammo is more expensive than our other options, and what I need most is practice.

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Let me know when you want to go, Women dont pay range fees m-th :)

Will definitely hit you up next go around. Yesterday was a spur of a moment thing. Friend was down, and I have been trying to get her to go shooting with me when I have a chance. I am also trying to convince her to join the a girl and gun club, but no go on that yet.

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome! Like CY09 said, go to Precision Firearms Mon-Thurs for free range fees, and they do have many rental options. The larger frame handguns are going to be more comfortable for you to shoot with. My wife carries a full-size in her purse, so she doesn't have to worry about the holster issue.

Some how I must have missed the part about your wife carrying in her purse. I am still debating between that and a belt holster. My husband's largest concern with something like the LCR 22, is that if I carry it in my purse, it doesn't have a saftey, and if it gets caught on something then it could be a big problem. The purse I am planning on, if I purse carry, is a (please don't laugh) Vera Bradley which has front pockets that I never put anything in. These pockets aren't zippered and don't have a clasp or anything to close them and are rather large, so they seem perfect to me (obviously I would turn them around so that they were against my body instead of facing outward). What does she carry in?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Just wanted to follow up, and let you know that I went to Precision Firearms yesterday with a friend. Really nice range, and the guy at the counter was more than helpful! So if you get a chance to go, I would totally recommend them.

Shot a Beretta .380. That felt better than the LC9 we currently have in terms of handeling, but I am still going to continue to look at options before deciding, since I am not sure that this is the perfect gun. Hubby's argument, which is pretty valid imo, is that I probably won't shoot a .380 as much as other guns since the ammo is more expensive than our other options, and what I need most is practice.

+1 on what your hubby said! If y'all already have a 9mm, then it seems a no-brainer to find another 9mm you're comfortable with and buy ammo by the caseload.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Some how I must have missed the part about your wife carrying in her purse. I am still debating between that and a belt holster. My husband's largest concern with something like the LCR 22, is that if I carry it in my purse, it doesn't have a saftey, and if it gets caught on something then it could be a big problem. The purse I am planning on, if I purse carry, is a (please don't laugh) Vera Bradley which has front pockets that I never put anything in. These pockets aren't zippered and don't have a clasp or anything to close them and are rather large, so they seem perfect to me (obviously I would turn them around so that they were against my body instead of facing outward). What does she carry in?

She carries in whatever purse she's using, she has a lot... I'm afraid to open her closet sometimes. ;) She carries a full size Ruger 9mm, which has a external safety, and she keeps it in one of the larger center pockets. I wouldn't keep it in any side pockets or in any non-closing pockets. There are a lot of concealed weapons purses out there, but wifey doesn't own any of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom