New to Muzzleloading. Pointers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    Just bought a used muzzel loader and wanted to see if any of you gurus had some tips for me before the season starts. What do YOU shoot out of it, what kind of powder do YOU use, best percussion caps, etc. Also, best place to find this stuff? Thanks.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I shoot 245 gr shockwaves they are sabboted bullets and they have a hollow point with a polymer onsert I've had pretty good luck with them. For powder I shoot 100 gr 777 I've shot both this and pyrodex and the 777 seems cleaner if there is such a thing. Slot of people will say to shoot 150 gr if your gun will take it but from my expirience and what I've read for the added recoil and the amount of powder wasted it's just not worth it. Also I'm sure if your gun is used the ramrod is already marked but if it is not the first thing you need to do is clean the gun and load up a round push it down firm but not so hard you break the powder and then mark a line around your rod good luck

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/
    You may have to join to view.

I shoot a Knight Elite (red disk), and have an original Knight (orange disk).
    I use 777 powder (not pellets), and 200 gr. shockwaves. I worked up a load and found what shot the best. Buy different bullets and shoot and see what your gun likes. Start with low charges and work up to your max load. The main thing on ML's, keep them clean. Also, a good tip that I do, is I swab between every shot with a patch sprayed with Windex...makes loading easier.

Good load to start with, (2) 777 or pyrodex pellets (100 grs.) and a 240 gr. XTP.
    Bulldog...

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I shoot 245 gr shockwaves they are sabboted bullets and they have a hollow point with a polymer onsert I've had pretty good luck with them. For powder I shoot 100 gr 777 I've shot both this and pyrodex and the 777 seems cleaner if there is such a thing. Slot of people will say to shoot 150 gr if your gun will take it but from my expirience and what I've read for the added recoil and the amount of powder wasted it's just not worth it. Also I'm sure if your gun is used the ramrod is already marked but if it is not the first thing you need to do is clean the gun and load up a round push it down firm but not so hard you break the powder and then mark a line around your rod good luck

Everything he said. The only caveat I would add is if you use a heavier bullet than the 245 grain, you may get a little more uummph from 150 grains of powder.

Also, to add, the reason for marking your rod, is so if you're not sure if it's loaded or not, you can run the rod down and if it stops at the mark, it's loaded. If you plan to use 2 and 3 pellet loads, mark both on the rod for reference, but use a different color.

I shoot a Thompson Omega.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I think the more important reason for marking your rod is to let you know when your bullet is seated all the way. As you shoot follow up shots without cleaning, it becomes harder and harder to fully seat the bullet. If you do not fully seat the bullet, it will cause a pressure spike that could damage you or the gun.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I think the more important reason for marking your rod is to let you know when your bullet is seated all the way. As you shoot follow up shots without cleaning, it becomes harder and harder to fully seat the bullet. If you do not fully seat the bullet, it will cause a pressure spike that could damage you or the gun.

Very true, also.
    The reason I brought up the marking to be able to check if empty is because a friend's son had used his blackpowder and had left a load in it without telling his Dad. If his Dad had not checked first it could have resulted in a double load. He passed that info on to me when I started shootying blackpowder as a safety tip. So I always check before I load this way and always have.

Last edited:

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I shoot a traditional ML but I think these thing would apply to you also. The main thing in my opinion is to make sure you load the same way each time you shoot. If you use loose powder measure the same way each time. if you tap the side of your measure to settle the powder. do it every time. The other thing is seating the bullet. Make sure you use the same amount of pressure every time. it is a good idea to mark your ram rod so you know when your load is properly seated. One more thing to watch out for. if you use powerbelt type bullets,sometimes they can move inside you barrel. It is a good idea to recheck if the gun has been moved around a lot. You do not want a charge going off if your bullet is not properly seated. Most of all HAVE FUN!

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    well, i shot it today. finally got it clean enough. used 150gr. 777 pellets and a 250gr. TC sabot round. I forgot what kind of punch these things had, an dthat .50cal round punched a mean hole in that 55gal drum.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Leaving the more technical aspects up to others the main pointer that comes to mind:

Don't miss, you won't get a second shot.

Top Bottom