New to Reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    As the title indicates, I am new to reloading. I have cleaned/polished, deprimed, resized, bell mouthed and reprimed all of my brass. I am now ready to load powder and bullets.So far, I have done everything in the garage with no air condition. Do I need to have any concerns with the temperature/humidity and the powder? I will be using Alliant Powder "Power Pistol", Winchester "231" and Hodgdon "Tite Group". I am loading 9mm using 115 grain Hornady FMJ bullets.

I also used a go-no-gauge on all of the brass after the above operations. I have a few that are tight to very tight in the go-no-go gauge. Is there a safe way to remove live primers from this brass for resizing or should I throw them away?

I also read in a previous thread that sometimes folks have issues of repeatability when using the Hornady electronic scales. I have the Hornady electronic scale. The tightest tolerances from suggested starting grain loads and maximum load grains according to my Lyman's reloading handbook is .5 grains. I'm thinking that if I load at the low end of the weight tolerance even if I am off .1 to .3 grains, I would still be within the suggested and maximum weights by .2 to .3 grains. Does this make sense? Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, once I get past 9mm, I will move into 40 and 45 caliber reloading.

Thanks,

Mac

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Most powder in temp sensitive, better to have in climate control of somewhat, and not extreme temperature differentials.

Do not try and re-use primers, throw them away. I usually just slowly deprime the brass again very carefully if i should ever have to remove a live primer, but it goes away, not to reuse.

I think you are ok in your powder measure, I use the same measurer.

As far a bulging brass, I use the EGW-U undersized resizer and deprimer from Lee. It undersized the brass a very minimal amount but never had a finished round be too tight in case gauge or my gun barrel. All cycle and have no problem feeding, but be aware to use a brass case lube on all brass, because it make it easier as it is harder to resize the brass with the undersize die due to the tightness, and gets a little tiring if not using something like Hornady One Shot case lube, works great.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Reloading in the garage should be fine. If you can stand the temperature, then so will the powder for that time period. If you are hot/sweating then wait for another day. Bringing cool powder into a hot garage may cause condensation in or on the jug. Humidity isn't your friend. Storage is another matter. You should try to keep primers and powder in a temperature controlled environment. The only issue you may have with an electronic scale is with fluorescent lighting. They didn't always play nice together. That may no longer be a problem with newer models, but I don't use them.
    +1 for the EGW full sizing die, especially with used brass out of a glock.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom