NFA Branch will be placing 10-12 Examiner Assistants

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    From the latest NFATCA newsletter:

"As of right now, the NFA Branch in Martinsburg, West Virginia is reporting an average turnaround time for a Form 1 or 4 to be pushing seven months. This is mostly attributed to the surge in suppressor ownership, with suppressors now making up almost 70% of all transfer requests. The tide does not seem to be diminishing, so NFA Branch has secured assistance.

"The NFA Branch will be placing 10-12 “Examiner Assistants” as part of a contract employee program for an initial period of one year. This placement will begin immediately and it is expected that they will begin having an impact on the paperwork mountain as early as this summer. In addition, NFA Branch is seeking permission to create a posting announcement for fiscal year 2013 for the placement of 5 new Examiners. This will be difficult, considering that ATF is still facing a hiring freeze. Contact your representatives and express your support! Hopefully, these measures will result in improved turnaround times."

Source:
    http://www.nfatca.org/pubs/nfatca_newsltr_2q12.pdf
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/370533_Help_is_on_the_way_for_NFA_Branch_examiners.html

Last edited:

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    I honestly might actually get a suppressor or two if the wait was shorter, and I'd get one for every gun I owned if it didn't cost me $200 extra every time.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    This really needs to happen.. Bought one last aug had a bad print card so had to resend in Nov. Still have not gotten back paperwork. So can't pick it up...

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    This is great news! I have been holding off from buying new CIII items because of the lenghty wait time. If they can get the wait back down to a maximum of 4 months, I would be willing to fill out another F1 for another SBR and buy the Cyclone I've been wanting.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    This is great news! I have been holding off from buying new CIII items because of the lenghty wait time. If they can get the wait back down to a maximum of 4 months, I would be willing to fill out another F1 for another SBR and buy the Cyclone I've been wanting.

If you've been "holding off", I'd like to see what happens when you "cut loose", LOL. BTW, my toys are here - where were you Wednesday?

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA

I dont get this, if you wait till times are down how long will that be? 3 mnths from now? 4?5?6? Doesnt really matter but why wait for it you could have prolly already had the approved paperwork by the time that happens. So your waiting to wait?

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I dont get this, if you wait till times are down how long will that be? 3 mnths from now? 4?5?6? Doesnt really matter but why wait for it you could have prolly already had the approved paperwork by the time that happens. So your waiting to wait?

he's just using the default excuse cheap people say to not buy something

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA

In short, I don't feel like having my money tied up for that long without being able to use the product that I have purchased. I have a problem with immeadiate gradification:exnbp: (sp?).

he's just using the default excuse cheap people say to not buy something

You've got me pegged. Congrats to today's internet bad ass.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    My form 1 just went into problem status today... so that's good news. It went pending November 25th.

I disagree that these new assistants won't help speed up the process. From the sound of it, this move is a way to get around a hiring freeze / red tape in creating permenant positions... which they plan to do. I would wager that they can do the majority of the work to make sure that everything is in order before the examiner looks at the paperwork to approve it. Only time will tell though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom