NICS call in with CHP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    At one time, having a concealed carry permit would vacate the NICs call in on firearm purchases. At the time of the law being written, the permit had to be issued after a certain date. Those of us having had permits since Moby Dick was a minnow and renewed them prior to the date pulled out of thin air just had to wait four years before renewing our permit.

Does that date still hold or has the law became like Texas and anyone with a permit gets a pass on NICS call in?

I had a permit under the "May" issue and got one under the "Shall' issue just days after it became effective (under the first 200 to get one).

Yet unless the law has changed, I am stuck with the NICS call and they are slow as can be due to few workers, thousands of buyers and etc. Next week I will be buying five new guns from different dealers and bet I get delayed on at least three. Last month I was delayed in a Natchitoches dealer. Got to SHreveport an hour later and got a call I was approved and could come get my gun.

Makes me want to move to TX where the Legislature is more firearm friendly to law abiding citizens.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I can see big box stores still calling it in because they are dumb but I expect better from local dealers!

It wasn't a big box store... :ugh:

I handed the clerk my ID, CHP, and the filled out 4473. After 5 or so minutes I asked if everything was okay, to which the clerk replied "Your background check is taking a while. The system has been slow." First thing that came to mind was why the clerk was even running my background check when I handed my CHP over. I finally got everything settled after about 35 minutes total. I was pretty annoyed when they did it to me, and I don't plan on going back to them. There are more local businesses that want my money and don't want to deal with NICS, so I'll keep shopping elsewhere.

And the last time I bought anything from Academy, I handed over my CHP and was in and out in 10 minutes.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It wasn't a big box store... :ugh:

I handed the clerk my ID, CHP, and the filled out 4473. After 5 or so minutes I asked if everything was okay, to which the clerk replied "Your background check is taking a while. The system has been slow." First thing that came to mind was why the clerk was even running my background check when I handed my CHP over. I finally got everything settled after about 35 minutes total. I was pretty annoyed when they did it to me, and I don't plan on going back to them. There are more local businesses that want my money and don't want to deal with NICS, so I'll keep shopping elsewhere.

And the last time I bought anything from Academy, I handed over my CHP and was in and out in 10 minutes.

Bad wording on my part I was saying: If you told me a big box store did still call it in "that wouldn't surprise me at all". I would think a Bayou Shooter sponsor would be more up to speed.

Do you know if Academy called it in or not for sure?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    A small LGS here also won't honor a CHP & does a NICS check. Won't buy from them again. BTW, they also do a NICS check on a suppressor transfer. I didn't think that was required with an approved form 4.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    A small LGS here also won't honor a CHP & does a NICS check. Won't buy from them again. BTW, they also do a NICS check on a suppressor transfer. I didn't think that was required with an approved form 4.

If the Form 4 was filled out as an individual then no NICS check is required (NFA branch does one. That's the purpose of the fingerprints and photo). If the Form 4 was filled out in the name of a legal entity then yes a NICS check is required (NFA branch can't do a NICS check on an entity).

Any form filled out as of July 13th this year will not have to have a NICS check called in since you are turning in fingerprints and photos on all responsible parties.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If the Form 4 was filled out as an individual then no NICS check is required (NFA branch does one. That's the purpose of the fingerprints and photo). If the Form 4 was filled out in the name of a legal entity then yes a NICS check is required (NFA branch can't do a NICS check on an entity).

Any form filled out as of July 13th this year will not have to have a NICS check called in since you are turning in fingerprints and photos on all responsible parties.

Yep, I understand that. But the LGS won't let you take possession of a can unless they do a NICS check. Likely my transfer will be in November or December, other than that I will do my shopping elsewhere.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you have a permit issued on or after March 9, 2015, the FFL can use your permit in lieu of a NICS check. However, as I've experienced lately, some FFL's (including Bayoushooter sponsors) have opted to run the NICS check anyway.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/o...-louisianas-concealed-handgun-permit/download

Additionally, it has to be a five year permit. A lifetime permit does not qualify.

The new LEEPs system is a pain in the butt. Hard for old eyes to read, and it's in a horrible format.

However; It seems to be much faster. Fewer delays. This is my first impression after just a couple days using it.

Bonus: If you're not sure what sex you are, you can now select 'unknown'. I know if I have a customer who isn't sure, I'm not checking.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    When I picked up my Sub2k from Academy (only ones to actually have in stock), they were sketchy on the whole CHP/no-call in procedure. But they figured it out and did not call in a NICS check. I was surprised.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Additionally, it has to be a five year permit. A lifetime permit does not qualify.

The new LEEPs system is a pain in the butt. Hard for old eyes to read, and it's in a horrible format.

However; It seems to be much faster. Fewer delays. This is my first impression after just a couple days using it.

Bonus: If you're not sure what sex you are, you can now select 'unknown'. I know if I have a customer who isn't sure, I'm not checking.

haha. I second all of this info. I hate when they change stuff.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bad wording on my part I was saying: If you told me a big box store did still call it in "that wouldn't surprise me at all". I would think a Bayou Shooter sponsor would be more up to speed.

Do you know if Academy called it in or not for sure?

Well considering the two clerks were trying to tell me how HSLD they were in their spare time, I'd say neither touched a phone or computer.

Yep, I have a 5 year permit and they still didn't care... Or they never knew. I have no idea, but they won't see my business again for more reasons than that, and it's sad, because they are a sponsor here. Even if I have to make a drive, there are other sponsors like Interstate Guns that will get my business.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Well considering the two clerks were trying to tell me how HSLD they were in their spare time, I'd say neither touched a phone or computer.

Yep, I have a 5 year permit and they still didn't care... Or they never knew. I have no idea, but they won't see my business again for more reasons than that, and it's sad, because they are a sponsor here. Even if I have to make a drive, there are other sponsors like Interstate Guns that will get my business.

I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot over it. If'n there's a good deal, who cares if they enter your info into LEEP? It's not like the government doesn't know all that data already.

I laugh every time a customer refuses to share their social security number with the government. Where do these people think that number came from? They should have signs.

Oh, and to the individual who shot our floor last week, . . . That floor went seven years without getting shot until you came along.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot over it. If'n there's a good deal, who cares if they enter your info into LEEP? It's not like the government doesn't know all that data already.

I laugh every time a customer refuses to share their social security number with the government. Where do these people think that number came from? They should have signs.

Oh, and to the individual who shot our floor last week, . . . That floor went seven years without getting shot until you came along.

I don't mind if they run the check, and I always put my SS# down so I have a lesser chance of some guy with the same name getting me delayed. What happened was I handed everything over, and they could have told me they were running the check, but what happened was me standing there looking at the shelves for 15 minutes before I was told that the NICS check was going to take a while.

That was more or less an annoyance, while there were other reasons I won't be going back.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I don't mind if they run the check, and I always put my SS# down so I have a lesser chance of some guy with the same name getting me delayed. What happened was I handed everything over, and they could have told me they were running the check, but what happened was me standing there looking at the shelves for 15 minutes before I was told that the NICS check was going to take a while.

That was more or less an annoyance, while there were other reasons I won't be going back.

Hope to god that wasn't my people.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

What store do you own or work at?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I had the longest background check ever yesterday. From the time they entered it into the computer to the time they said it was approved it was 8min. However the worker kept walking away from the computer. I would say if it really took that long something changed with the system or nics was really busy yesterday.

Top Bottom