Night vision anybody?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a friend of mine who is looking for a night vision scope for hunting pigs at night. He is not a kid and has hunted all over the world but he is new to the AR platform and asked my opinion on a certain night vision scope that he saw on DVOR for $490. My crap detector kind of went off as this seemed really cheap for night vision. I am interested if someone has experience in this arena so that I may pass it along. I have never hunted hogs in the day much less at night so I am interested to hear someones suggestions from experience. Thanks in advance.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I just got back from a pig hunt with all types of night vision gear. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBgJpncbKEM

You really need goggles and they really need to be Gen3 or Gen3+. Those Gen1 cheap scopes are practically worthless. Scopes aren't particularly useful because how are you going to find the hog to begin with? The goggles provide a wide field of view. You can see everything around you then use a red dot on your AR or, even better, an IR laser on your AR. With an IR laser and some nice Gen3 goggles you will be able to really spot the hogs and take them out.

In the video above, we actually had several thermal units as well. I was spotting the hogs with the thermal then lighting them up with a laser for the night vision equipped shooters. That's probably way out of most peoples budgets (the thermal unit I had was $60k) but you could do the same thing with some goggles that are about $2,500. If you get the monocular goggles you will still have one eye free to do things close to you though the binoculars are cool for depth perception. I preferred the binoculars but most people preferred the monocular.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah from everything I have read on the matter it's save your money and get at least gen 3. A buddy of mine had a gen one monocular that was crap. If it was dark you could kinda see maybe 50 feet.

Top Bottom