Nikon Scope info needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    My wife bought me this rifle / scope combo several years ago. I only use this gun for deer and hog hunting. The scope seems to be way more capable than my .270. So I tried to look up info on the scope but found nothing that looks like it. Its a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 x 40 w/ an ajustable objective up to 1000. Rarely do I shoot more than 100 yds. What is this adjustable objective lens for, whats it good for, etc. I've been shooting and hunting all my life but none of my other scopes have ever had this. Sorry for a "rookie" question. Thanks

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Its used for the parallax adjustment or in layman's terms to focus the scope in at various distances for a sharper clearer picture.
    I'd set it for the distance you most commonly shoot at your hunting location say 50 to 100 yards. If a shot presents itself at longer range you usually have time to readjust it before making the shot.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Its used for the parallax adjustment or in layman's terms to focus the scope in at various distances for a sharper clearer picture.
    I'd set it for the distance you most commonly shoot at your hunting location say 50 to 100 yards. If a shot presents itself at longer range you usually have time to readjust it before making the shot.

Adjusting parallax has nothing to do with focus or getting a clearer picture.

In fact, on a lot of cheaper scopes, once the parallax is adjusted CORRECTLY the image is actually more out of focus than it can be with the parallax dialed for the wrong distance. This is one of the benefits you get when you step up to better glass quality (correct parallax and clear picture). In precision shooting, it is more important to have the parallax adjusted correctly for the given distance than it is to have a sight picture that is in focus. In that case (just as with iron sights) focus on the reticle and hold on the out-of-focus target. The link Barnney88pdc posted above shows the correct way to adjust for parallax, not focus.

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Like others said parallex adjustment. im going to disagree with hunter somewhat though. i typically set mine to the longest shot that i have an oppertunity to shoot at. so for instance when im hunting on the pipline where i have the posibility to shoot 500 yards i will set it for that distance. you will see better results using it the further out you are shooting. also note that the settings on the scope probably wont be exact. just because it has 100,200,500 marks on it doesn't mean that it will be perfect at those marks you will have to fine tue it the marks will get you close tho. atleast that is what i have seen from my scopes that have it.

edit to add listen to ritten he knows plenty about this subject

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I realize how to use the adjustment on the target range versus using it in the field. In the field I want a clearer picture of what i am shooting at especially if you have to count points on a deer's rack before pulling the trigger in a trophy managed club.
    Yea, I wouldn't set mine for 100 yards if i was on a pipeline either but typical wood ranges where I hunt, 100 yards is a long shot through the tree branches and understory and you have to pick holes through the brush to shoot through to the target.
    He was asking what the adj. obj. was good for in a hunting application and not to compete at Wimbledon.

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    As most of you agreed, that scope has the objective parallax adjustment. SKS, I do kind of what you do, I pick what my longest shot might be in a particular situation and the set my parallax at half of that.
    LSU, That is a very nice scope you have and know that if you need to stretch that .270 out there the scope and rifle can handle it and it'll all be up to you. I have a couple of older MONARCH's that have the obj. parallax adjustment.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Thanks for the info guys. In my hunting situations, I don't need anything more than 100 yds. But I do think it would be fun to target practice at longer distances.

Top Bottom