no carry at southland mall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    if i move and my shirt comes up or the out line of my gun could been seen through my cloths.free class is nice but that still doesnt help with the cost of renewel every 4 or 5 years.i'm no expert but i dont need a class on basic fire arm safety or use.i served 4 years in the navy,trained to use mossberg 500 and berrta m-9.now if a class were more advance i would attend,if i could affort it.i still dont think i should pay anything to protect myself or family.i dont pay the police for responding to a call i make to them so why should i pay?
    A CHP class is NOT a shooting class. It is basically a foundations class on the laws on carry, justifiable homicide, etc.

BTW, you don't have to pay anything to protect yourself or your family, you just have to pay to be able to do so without being hassled when you go to places such as Southland Mall. ;)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I have never spent much time in Terrebonne Parish. Are the cops there allowed to issue citations for acting stupid in public ?

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    So did the Navy cover any of the Louisiana gun laws? I was Army Infantry and shot everything up to a 90mm RR and not once did anybody say anything about La. laws.

If you don't want to pay go to your local Sheriff and tell him you want a free concealed carry permit since it's your right. It will be free.

Charles:

When you use logic and common sense about "rules of engagement," it's only gonna confuse and upset people.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What about the business owners right to not have you at their store carrying a firearm. If you don't want to CC then OC and don't complain when the police check you out. What were they suppose to do when the owner of the property says he doesn't want you in his property?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    if i move and my shirt comes up or the out line of my gun could been seen through my cloths.free class is nice but that still doesnt help with the cost of renewel every 4 or 5 years.i'm no expert but i dont need a class on basic fire arm safety or use.i served 4 years in the navy,trained to use mossberg 500 and berrta m-9.now if a class were more advance i would attend,if i could affort it.i still dont think i should pay anything to protect myself or family.i dont pay the police for responding to a call i make to them so why should i pay?

Lulz "I'm too good for training." :rofl:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    What about the business owners right to not have you at their store carrying a firearm. If you don't want to CC then OC and don't complain when the police check you out. What were they suppose to do when the owner of the property says he doesn't want you in his property?

Their rights don't matter, it's the OPs rights that he doesn't have to pay for.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I guess so. It would be in his best interest to take guate up on his offer just to help understand the laws. You should never stop learning because you can never know to much

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I guess so. It would be in his best interest to take guate up on his offer just to help understand the laws. You should never stop learning because you can never know to much

Roger that even if he doesn't go ahead and get the CHP.
    But after the class he might change his mind and go for it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    i just thought of something. if those of you who support carry permits call me a victim then are you going to be a victim when we have to have a permit just to own a gun or are going to pay ".48 a day" to own one.if your going to keep letting the goverment put more gun laws on the books whose to say this wont happen?

Yep you're the first person to put that argument up. :rolleyes:

How about this? You limit your ability to protect yourself and family (OC only) with the idea that paying to carry concealed is a conflict you think could lead to the permitting of Gun ownership.

Having CHP stats for the state only shows more and more how much the State citizens of LA are indeed Pro-Gun. Those stats show without a doubt that people are expressing their right to carry and defend. The numbers IMO on a political level give the impression that if you even attempt to pass something anti-gun at a minimum the CHP holders will be stacked against you.

BTW if it's been less than 5 years since your EAS you only have to pay $125 Processing Fee plus your Passport and possible finger print cost. No Class and you can do all the paper work by yourself and mail it from your local Post Office with no outside help. Besides a Notary Stamp, Finger prints and Passport Photo.

Last edited:

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    i served 4 years in the navy,trained to use mossberg 500 and berrta m-9
    I play with my rifle all the time, but I am not a sniper, I play with a knife during dinner but I am not a surgeon, and just because I know what a horses ass looks like - it doesn't make me a Veterinarian.

Not trying to degrade my seagoing brothers, but how does training with a Mossberg 500 have anything to do with knowing the proper edicate for open carrying or concealed carrying. I will give you the M9 training, but was that every day training with the weapon or just a class you had to attend to show you how to point it or pull it out of the holster.
    Look if I was going to blow some crap up from a long distance away, I would be the first one to call the Navy and let them do what they do best. But only about 1% of the Navy is actually trained in hand to hand or close quarters combat training, I didn't see if you were a SEAL; but doubt it.
    You give yourself way too much credit for your abilities, get the ego chip off your shoulder and quit trying to be John Wayne before somebody comes up behind you and smacks you in the head and steals your OC.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Make sure you let YALE know about it though, I believe he has a list of places that OC is not permited and if he doesnt have the mall then they can add it.
    We try to list some places in the LOCAL forum but I usually point people to the Friend Or Foe website at http://www.friendorfoe.us/ .

As for the cops disarming the OCer and asking for ID when no laws had been broken, well that's a problem the OP needs to decide whether he want to address or not. Some LE agencies are going to stand by their policy of disarming "for officer safety" and running ID as a matter of SOP regardless whether the OCer was violating any laws or not. A letter to administration or complaint may not go any further than the circular file in the Chief's office. IF the OP feels like he was mistreated or his rights were violated he certainly has the right to pursue the issue but I doubt that it will go far.
    As for the LEOs opinionating about getting his CHP, that usually falls into the realm of "Thanks for your unsolicited opinion, Officer. Now am I free to leave." Each and every LE encounter is unique. From the way the post read, the LEOs the OP encountered were up to speed on OC and the right to do so but were not sure on the Mall policy regarding firearms. Once they learned that the mall is a Victim Disarmament Zone they followed their department policy by ensuring that the gun owner was not a threat to the shoppers in the mall. They didn't know how the OCer would react when told that he could not carry in the mall so they erred on the side of caution. Would it have been better in the grand scheme of 2A rights that they had not disarmed and requested ID of the OP? Sure but it happened and the OP can now decide if it's worth his time to follow up with a letter of complaint to mall management and the LE agency infolved.
    Frankly, I say screw them and go shop somewhere else after adding them to the Friend or Foe map.
    As for the invite for sitting in a CHP class for FREE....Hells Yess the OP should do it. Even if he doesn't have any intention of getting the permit, the classes, if taught by a competant instructor such as Guate_shooter or Bearco or NOLACOP, will arm you with information that you may not have even considered. It is more than worth the 9 hours you will spend.
    I am prior service too. I fired everything from 1911s to M16A2s to AK-47s during OPFOR training to the crewserved weapons on the M1A1 Abrams tanks I operated for 4 years. Nothing I learned in the Army taught me about the laws Louisiana has in place regarding when and where to carry concealed or even use of force. This is one reason why I am opposed to the used of DD-214 in place of the 9 hour CHP class to get the permit. TAKE THE CLASS. You will not regret it. As for more advanced training the OP spoke of, Guate, Bearco, NOLACOP and others all offer individual one on one instruction and there are several others on this board who are willing to help out for little or no money if you are honestly seaking to better your skills. Never turn down the chance to learn from anyone here who is offering their time.

Me on the range in Germany circa 1989 during OPFOR training on Combloc weapons, AK-47.
    ak47a.jpg

Last edited:

Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    i did not say my navy training made me an expert on gun tatics or gun laws my point is the class teaches basic fire arm use which i have had let me say it a again basic no i'm not an expert.so i dont need basic fire arm instruction.as far as laws go i can learn that from free sources such as l.o.c.a.l. or here on this site instead of paying for a permit to say i know the law.let me add i agree with learning through a class from some one who is more competent than me on any subject,but it should be my choice not forced on me.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    let me add i agree with learning through a class from some one who is more competent than me on any subject,but it should be my choice not forced on me.

It is your choice. This is Louisiana. Nobody is forcing you to get your CHP in order to carry; however, I agree that your shopping experience yesterday would have been more pleasant if you weren't OC'ing. And yes, they could have handled the situation better.

I'll also speak to the value in good classroom/field instruction. Even if you're not going to get your CHP for some reason (sounds like you're just trying to make a point by now), why not go audit just the legal/ethical part of Guate's class? I'd take a free class any day.

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    For the life of me I don't see a single violation of any Constitutional right being violated by charging a fee for a concealed permit or the 8 hour class you have to attend. You have not lost a single right, NOT ONE! I would be more concerned about open carry for no other reason than I don't know who the hell you are! At least with a permit some sort of background check was done.
    Did they take your gun?
    Were you arrested?
    Were you ruffed up and handcuffed or maced?
    You talk about your rights but forget the rights of whoever owned the property. Private property even that used for commercial uses is still owned by an individual or corporation. If they so choose to not allow carrying of weapons there's not a dam thing you can do about it unless you think the second amendmant trumps all others.
    Unchallenged open carry would allow any moron (not refering to you) to carry. Also, why would you want to bring that attention to yourself?

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    i did not say my navy training made me an expert on gun tatics or gun laws my point is the class teaches basic fire arm use which i have had let me say it a again basic no i'm not an expert.so i dont need basic fire arm instruction.as far as laws go i can learn that from free sources such as l.o.c.a.l. or here on this site instead of paying for a permit to say i know the law.let me add i agree with learning through a class from some one who is more competent than me on any subject,but it should be my choice not forced on me.

No disrespect intended, but people who spout rhetoric about their rights vis a vis handgun permits, are often the folks who are ineligible for a permit because of some disqualifying circumstance. Not saying that you are in this group (dishonorable discharge, criminal background, crimes of violence, crimes against nature, drug dependency, etc). Just saying .................those are often the people that protest the loudest.

As far as the invitations to take a class at no charge, those are generous offers. I don't allow egotistical know-it-alls, who proclaim their lack of training on internet forums, into my classes -- at any price.

I guess I need to work at being more tolerant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom