No Gun sign question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I had called and asked one of the officers in the CHP department about the signage issue, a couple days ago, because I was uncertain, and it came up in a conversation with someone who has already taken their CHP course (I haven't)

It's basically -your- responsibility with full onus on YOU to know whether or not that property owner allows handguns on their premise BEFORE you enter the property. No sign required, nothing at all.

Isn't that a bit messed up? How is one to know before entering the property? The way the law goes, it would appear we are required to contact the owner of every location we wish to visit, if we're to remain in the clear.

I wish that they would make it more like Texas and require a "30.06" sign.

No sign = carry, unless you are told otherwise (excluding the obvious).
    It is private property. If a store finds that you have a gun and they do not like it (but they also do not have a sign posted), and they ask you to leave, then you must leave. If you fail to leave, then you face changes Not for carrying a gun, but for remaining after being forbidden or trespassing.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No sign = carry, unless you are told otherwise (excluding the obvious).
    It is private property. If a store finds that you have a gun and they do not like it (but they also do not have a sign posted), and they ask you to leave, then you must leave. If you fail to leave, then you face changes Not for carrying a gun, but for remaining after being forbidden or trespassing.

Pretty much this, although the sign has nothing to do. The store can ask you to leave whenever for whatever.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Pretty much this, although the sign has nothing to do. The store can ask you to leave whenever for whatever.

Now, see, that's what I thought before. But then when I called the CHP Unit of LSP, she told me very specifically, and very firmly that I am -not- to carry unless I know it's ACCEPTABLE. Sort of a "only carry when you have permission" rather than "carry unless you have been told not to"

I asked the question like 3-4 different ways to make sure I was 100% clear.

Would be nice if a citizen just trying to know the law could get one straight answer from the people deemed responsible for this exact thing... /sigh

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I was just more concerned with possibly being already in the wrong if I unknowingly carry into a business that forbids guns, but had no clear indication of this, that I would know, without calling management directly.

I'm clear on the trespassing situation.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Now, see, that's what I thought before. But then when I called the CHP Unit of LSP, she told me very specifically, and very firmly that I am -not- to carry unless I know it's ACCEPTABLE. Sort of a "only carry when you have permission" rather than "carry unless you have been told not to"

Would be nice if a citizen just trying to know the law could get one straight answer from the people deemed responsible for this exact thing... /sigh

"She" is not an officer. The only officer is Sgt Reavis. WHile the ladies who work there are VERY knowledgeable about the process, they are not on the enforcement or legislative side. They have been known to misquote things. If you want a more informed opinion, and that is what it is, an opinion, you need to speak with Sgt Reavis.

Anyone can throw you off their private property for whatever they want. SIgn or no sign.

Areas like stores and such that are public places, but privately owned, give the public an expectation of access, meaning one would assume anyone can walk into walk-mart.

However, private residences do not have this same expectation; hence the reason why the legislature put the specific clause stating you have to ask permission.

While there is no "disobeying the sign" law, there is also an expectation in society to follow directions from property owners such as entrance and exit signs, mens and women's restroom signs, and no gun signs.

Failure to do so is normally not illegal in and of itself, but generally shows a flagrant disregard for the wishes of the property owner and will not help you in civil or criminal legal issues.

i agree that it would be clearer is the law were written, but your anger is misdirected. LSO has nothing to do with what laws are enacted. They may provide input that is largely ignored when the politicians decide what is best for the rest of us.

Point is, if there is a sign, don't do it.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I was just more concerned with possibly being already in the wrong if I unknowingly carry into a business that forbids guns, but had no clear indication of this, that I would know, without calling management directly.

I'm clear on the trespassing situation.

In real life, that is what the sign was for. If you were carrying and someone who works for the store asked you to leave, that is what you do. If it went further, then your logical defense would be that you had no idea.

Kinda like the no shirt no shoes sign. You are not breaking the law if you walk in with no shoes, but when they ask you to leave, you are the dumbass because it was posted. If you start arguing with the police about it, then you get to go to jail.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Mk, well that makes sense.

I was just wanting to avoid any circumstance where I -should- have known without being told in-person, and still did it anyways. I'd rather not find myself carrying somewhere that doesn't want me to, is all, and find myself on the wrong side of law.

I did assume "She" was an officer, or at least an 'expert' on the subject, but I guess if I have a question that I feel worth asking someone in the office, I'll hope that Sgt Reavis is available or wait for a return call.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

The people responsible for it are the Louisiana legislature who wrote it, the Governor who signed it, and ultimately the voters who voted them all in ;)

The LSP is by no means the final authority on the issue (even though it seems like they should be).

Top Bottom