No Laughing at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Damn!!!

I think my eyes bugged out. I was watching but would never have expected him to break and reprimand the crowd. I figured somebody would have come up from behind and quietly issue the request. Good for him! That was pretty cool. Glad the rude jackasses recieved a very vocal smack upside their deserving heads.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Someone commented "I wonder what would have happen if they didn't be quiet"... he's an armed SOLDIER!!! He would make them!

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Wonderful. I heard the talking and laughing and then the Marine spoke with the forcefullness of a drill Sgt. and in no uncertain terms it's obvious that the crowd knew he meant exactly what he said.

The Marines are the best of what America can produce.

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Yeah it is Army. My son Benton Thames was a sentinel and then relief commander there for a few years and saw him do this a few times. There was a group of Japanese tourist that walked up to the tomb talking loud and laughing. When he "broke off the mat" and called them out they turned around and hurried off almost in a trot!!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yeah it is Army. My son Benton Thames was a sentinel and then relief commander there for a few years and saw him do this a few times. There was a group of Japanese tourist that walked up to the tomb talking loud and laughing. When he "broke off the mat" and called them out they turned around and hurried off almost in a trot!!

What a honor you must be very proud.

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks Charlie12 we are very proud of him, but if you talk to him or any Tomb Sentinel they all will tell you its all about honoring the unknowns because they not only gave their lives but their identity as well. They take their job very serious and do not hesitate to do whatever it takes to quell any disrespect at the tomb. There are several clips of him and others on youtube doing this. I get a kick out of how quickly it gets quiet!!

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Thanks for posting. We are getting ready to plan a trip to DC. I would like my kids to see it while we still have proud Americans like that young man representing what our nation was founded upon. DC will soon be like our school systems have become, void of God, Country, and Respect for our Military. Like the pres. said "It could be worse." Four more years and it WILL BE.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    we went last summer, i dont recall anyone speaking a word. Its a shame anyone would walk up on that and not get a clue of what was going on. I felt very weird being there in general, grave yards in general should be a fairly quiet place. There was at least one funeral going on while we where there too. I would highly urge anyone who has the time and can afford a hotel to go to DC. Its an awesome place with lots of great history to see and everything worth seeing is free to do so.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    we went last summer, i dont recall anyone speaking a word. Its a shame anyone would walk up on that and not get a clue of what was going on. I felt very weird being there in general, grave yards in general should be a fairly quiet place. There was at least one funeral going on while we where there too. I would highly urge anyone who has the time and can afford a hotel to go to DC. Its an awesome place with lots of great history to see and everything worth seeing is free to do so.

+10,000

I find myself mentally walking a fine line when I visit cemeteries. They're not for gawkers but at the same time, some of the history in them is amazing to find and discover. I personally love walking very old, unused cemeteries looking at the names and dates, but I very very rarely indulge because I wouldn't want to find strangers lurking around my family plots. So yeah, I do a mental tap dance too.

However... Arlington deserves to be seen at least once by every American. It is a tangible indicator of what our freedom has cost others. And the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has to be one of the most solemn, heartfelt places I've ever visited. I'm appalled others would disrespect it's significance this way.

br549

totin'
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Denham Springs
    +10,000

I find myself mentally walking a fine line when I visit cemeteries. They're not for gawkers but at the same time, some of the history in them is amazing to find and discover. I personally love walking very old, unused cemeteries looking at the names and dates, but I very very rarely indulge because I wouldn't want to find strangers lurking around my family plots. So yeah, I do a mental tap dance too.

However... Arlington deserves to be seen at least once by every American. It is a tangible indicator of what our freedom has cost others. And the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has to be one of the most solemn, heartfelt places I've ever visited. I'm appalled others would disrespect it's significance this way.

Well said. And everyone needs to take their kids to Arlington if you get the opportunity. To see all those rows of crosses and headstones makes you really appreciate our freedom even more.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Thanks for posting. We are getting ready to plan a trip to DC. I would like my kids to see it while we still have proud Americans like that young man representing what our nation was founded upon.

The cemetery is right around the corner from the Marine Corps Memorial, which is worth the trip, too.

Both are right across the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial which is practically adjacent to the Vietnam and Korean War memorials.

Several years ago my son and I took the Metro in, got off near Washington Monument, and walked to the WW2, KW, and VN memorials. Could have taken in the Lincoln but I've been there many times. Of the memorials, the KW was the one that affected me most.

It was neat at the WW2 as there were a bunch of vets. I shook hands with as many as I could and thanked them. Got a bunch of firm handshakes in return as well as a direct look in my eyes and a smiling "Thank you." They are the Greatest Generation.

He is in his second tour in the Pentagon. They have specific instructions where they can and cannot jog along the Mall and it mostly has to do with the tourists.

IMHO, the Tombs of the Unknown is a must go attraction.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The cemetery is right around the corner from the Marine Corps Memorial, which is worth the trip, too.

Both are right across the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial which is practically adjacent to the Vietnam and Korean War memorials.

Several years ago my son and I took the Metro in, got off near Washington Monument, and walked to the WW2, KW, and VN memorials. Could have taken in the Lincoln but I've been there many times. Of the memorials, the KW was the one that affected me most.

It was neat at the WW2 as there were a bunch of vets. I shook hands with as many as I could and thanked them. Got a bunch of firm handshakes in return as well as a direct look in my eyes and a smiling "Thank you." They are the Greatest Generation.

He is in his second tour in the Pentagon. They have specific instructions where they can and cannot jog along the Mall and it mostly has to do with the tourists.

IMHO, the Tombs of the Unknown is a must go attraction.

Oh sweet puppy Jesus. That brings back awful memories. Good ones, but awful ones all in one go. LOL

We started at the Washington Monument. My goal was to visit the Jefferson Monument. We walked past the Reflecting Pool, stopped at the Vietnam War Memorial, and Lincoln Monument. Somewhere along the way we hit the Korean, WWII, FDR and oh gosh, a few other memorials. I nearly died. It was a freaking heat wave in DC. 101 in the shade.

It was, I think, a four or five mile hike that day just around the lake. Not to mention back across to the subway to return to Cherry Hill. One of my favorite memories of DC. We always walked from the Washington Monument to Lincoln in the past but this time we did it all.

Another really cool place is the Folger Shakespeare Library. I liked that one. :)

Top Bottom