No longer available

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    is this one of the state police turn ins from a few years back?

Sounds right. The box is marked "Law Enforcement". I bought it online from a private seller and had it transferred locally.

And I just checked the box...the last digit on the box is 0 and on the pistol is 2...lol.

So, is it bad that it's a turn in? If anything I figure the PD would take better mechanical care than the average joe...

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sounds right. The box is marked "Law Enforcement". I bought it online from a private seller and had it transferred locally.

And I just checked the box...the last digit on the box is 0 and on the pistol is 2...lol.

So, is it bad that it's a turn in? If anything I figure the PD would take better mechanical care than the average joe...

My 239 new in the box was in a blue box that said Law Enforcement.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    If that is an LSP trade-in, it shouldn't have over 5-6K rounds through it (LSP got all new P220s in 2005. I'm extrapolating that round count, but I promise you it will be close to that). And that's IF it went through a cadet class. Judging by the frame rail wear I see, that's about right on this one. IOW, plenty of life left in the pistol.

However... if you intend to carry it or otherwise depend upon it for defense, etc., I would replace the trigger bar spring before using it for serious business. These need to be replaced every 5K rounds for optimum life. You can order one direct form Sig, at nominal caost. just be sure to give them the gun's serial # when doing so.

This spring is a snap to replace. If you're hesitant, I can talk you through it over the phone in about two minutes- less if you remove the right side grip panel first before calling me. ;)

Thanks for the input!

I bought it off of a FFL from Arizona who got it locally there. He said he deals with the Sheriff's Department out there so this all makes sense. What I do know is that the trigger bar does not show any real signs of wear and the recoil spring looks new and feels really stiff...more so than my other automatics. So if it is a LEO turn in I would venture to guess it might have been carried as a duty weapon.

I hadn't planned on getting rid of it but, the Python calls so this is one at the bottom of the pecking order right now. If the 686 I have listed sells I'll keep this, if the sells I'll keep the 686.

Last edited:

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    great price, i wish i had the funds... i personally think everyone needs to own one of these, but i have a soft spot for single stacks... bump

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    I didn't say trigger bar... I said trigger bar SPRING. The trigger bar is a stamped piece that will probably never break. Its spring, OTOH, is rather delicate and works through enough angles (stress-wise) to delight a politician. They need regular replacement if the gun is shot much.

Typo on my part about the trigger bar spring. When I pulled the grip off there was a little powder residue everywhere EXCEPT the trigger bar spring. It looks brand new and has a slight blue sheen to it. That plus the recoil spring still has green (what's the significance of that?) paint on it. It all makes me think that those springs have been replaced recently and mechanically this piece has been well cared for. Thanks for the info! I'm seriously considering keeping this one and pushing the sale of one of my revolvers.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    Green is correct for a full size 220 in .45ACP. It should have free length of about 5.250 inches.

Thanks, I'll measure it. So, I'm assuming the spring will lose free length when it loses tension? Is that how to determine when it's time to replace?

Beckys_man

Trying2Behave
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    NOLA
    Green is correct for a full size 220 in .45ACP. It should have free length of about 5.250 inches.

Thanks to KPM for that tidbit of information about the recommended "free length" of the Sig P220 recoil spring.
    I checked mine -- a nice duotone P220 that originally belonged to a state agent -- after reading that posting yesterday, and free length on the spring (green-paint still visible) was around 4.75" instead of the 5.25" norm; never thought about checking that before, especially since it still feels plenty stiff. Well, the new recoil spring is ordered and on its way; hopefully I won't have to start working out in order to work an even-stiffer slide.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom