No non-resident CCW permits honored in LA as of today?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    From all I've read on this message board over time my understanding is that as of toady, August 15, 2011, all non-resident CCW permits are no longer honored in LA. I know this issue has been hashed out to death but today is THE day. No flames please. Just a simple yes or no will suffice.

Stan Le

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Amelia, La
    so from everything I've been reading its just like with your drivers licenses....if your originally from what ever state and have a drivers license from that state but now reside in Louisiana you have to switch over to a Louisiana license because you are now a resident of Louisiana not the other state

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Of course it's about the money...or "revenue" in the vernacular of the government.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Attempting to ensure that permit holders are; (1) at least passingly familiar with the laws and principles regarding self-defense in Louisiana, and (2) can demonstrate a bare-basics familiarity with a weapon and the knowledge of which way to point same.

The fees are to cover the background checks and unit staffing. If any "profit" is made (which I highly doubt there is), it certainly isn't much.

Fixed it for you.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    When a Mississippi/New York/Oregon/wherever resident can legally carry concealed in Louisiana with his Florida non-resident permit but a Louisiana resident must buy a Louisiana permit to carry concealed...well, I strongly question that our esteemed legislators were basing their decision on training requirements.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    You can question it all you want. Were you there when the legislation was being promulgated? of course you weren't.

I was, and in fact am the reason the State Police does not conduct all of the training. That was the original plan, but it would have been an impossible task, due to the volume alone. The point here is, it was the legislature's intention all along to mandate training, if for no other reason to relieve the state from a measure of liability.

So all you folks who are pissy about the CHP program being a communist plot/revenue stream can continue talking out of your collective asses; you're still wrong. It is actually somewhat amusing to watch you moan and groan among yourselves.

Hey, no doubt there are "revenue-producing" programs in government, with large "profit margins" that make the state money. The Concealed Handgun Permit program is NOT one, and was never intended to be. And I am NOT saying the program doesn't 't show a "profit"; it well may.

But that was never the intention. Mike Foster wanted it, FOR THE PEOPLE, and made it happen.

Easy... easy... I never said it was a bad thing... I mean, it's great for the instructors in our state and I'm glad it was passed.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    BTW, the reason for the disallowance of the out-of-state permits for residents was because some states, like Florida, have no mandated training. Plus, you had guys like that moron in Lafayette who were operating "baby-mill" classes and grinding permits out without bothering to cover even the basics.

So if you insist on picking a villain, he (and a few others) are it. THEY are the reason for the law change.

Florida even went as far as accepting LA hunter's safety certificates.

Or so I've heard........................

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sounds like the same **** when somebody gets stopped by LSP for expired MVI, tint, insurance, speeding, DWI it the same **** "it all about the money".

Suck it up don't drive or CC if you can't or don't want to pay, I think LSP972 has covered it.

Top Bottom