Non-CC establishments

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    So, while waiting for my permit to arrive, I've been trying to take special note of businesses I go into to see if they have signage posted stating no-guns. Has anyone put a list together of CC unfriendly businesses? The one I noticed this weekend was Big Lots. Very small sign that wasn't even posted at the door but on the from glass. So if you didn't approach from directly in front you'd probably miss it. Got me to thinking that you could unknowingly put yourself in a bad situation because there seems to be no standard for how a business posts "no-weapons".

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So, while waiting for my permit to arrive, I've been trying to take special note of businesses I go into to see if they have signage posted stating no-guns. Has anyone put a list together of CC unfriendly businesses? The one I noticed this weekend was Big Lots. Very small sign that wasn't even posted at the door but on the from glass. So if you didn't approach from directly in front you'd probably miss it. Got me to thinking that you could unknowingly put yourself in a bad situation because there seems to be no standard for how a business posts "no-weapons".

The requirement in Louisiana on businesses is not very strict at all... a store could have it on a 1"x1" piece of paper by a wall outlet down by the front door or on a ceiling... as long as it's displayed publicly (if that's even a requirement), you're still in the wrong.

On that same note... the signs posted by businesses are a "request" as they can not declare themselves "Gun Free Zones" (Reserved only for government buildings, facilities, schools, courthouses, etc.). To the best of my knowledge, they can not have you arrested or press charges of any kind... they can simply ask you to leave if they discover you're carrying a firearm. Which, if you're carrying concealed, you wouldn't be doing a very good job of at that point.

Could you unknowingly put yourself in that situation? Definitely. The Saenger Theater for instance posts their "No Concealed Carry Weapons" on their website... but I have not seen an actual sign in the facility. I'm not sure if their public website constitutes being displayed "publicly", but it is their facility... and I believe it's owned by the city, thereby making it a government building. But again, I'm not 100% on that.

Last edited:

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    The requirement in Louisiana on businesses is not very strict at all... a store could have it on a 1"x1" piece of paper by a wall outlet down by the front door or on a ceiling... as long as it's displayed publicly (if that's even a requirement), you're still in the wrong.

On that same note... the signs posted by businesses are a "request" as they can not declare themselves "Gun Free Zones" (Reserved only for government buildings, facilities, schools, courthouses, etc.). To the best of my knowledge, they can not have you arrested or press charges of any kind... they can simply ask you to leave if they discover you're carrying a firearm. Which, if you're carrying concealed, you wouldn't be doing a very good job of at that point.

Could you unknowingly put yourself in that situation? Definitely. The Saenger Theater for instance posts their "No Concealed Carry Weapons" on their website... but I have not seen an actual sign in the facility. I'm not sure if their public website constitutes being displayed "publicly", but it is their facility... and I believe it's owned by the city, thereby making it a government building. But again, I'm not 100% on that.

Certainly the idea is to not have it discovered that your are carrying. As for signage, It's my impression that your CC permit is invalad in private buisneses that have posted policies forbiding guns, which may mean you are carrying without a legal permit, much the way your permit becomes invalid if you are drinking.

Again I am not 100% sure, I'm only asking because an felony gun charge is a lot to wager on an assumption.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Certainly the idea is to not have it discovered that your are carrying. As for signage, It's my impression that your CC permit is invalad in private buisneses that have posted policies forbiding guns, which may mean you are carrying without a legal permit, much the way your permit becomes invalid if you are drinking.

Again I am not 100% sure, I'm only asking because an felony gun charge is a lot to wager on an assumption.

That's correct for the most part... the point being the "signage" does not have to be prominent. However, carrying in an establishment that has signage stating "No Firearms Allowed" is the same legally speaking as "No Dogs Allowed". You can not be prosecuted or detained for doing so, they can simply ask you to leave. It will not cause you to lose your CCW permit... however, being intoxicated while carrying will. Unless, like I mentioned above, it's a government facility, school, courthouse, etc. In other words, the government can tell you not to carry a weapon in/on government owned/controlled property, and arrest you if you do so... Privately owned businesses can ask you to leave, but can not prosecute you. I mean, I'm sure there could be some means to arrest you for disturbing the peace or something like that... but you're not violating a law by disregarding a sign that a business owner posts (unless it falls under other guidelines like trespassing or something to that effect).

On another note, aside from police officers acting in an official capacity, carrying in an establishment that holds a Class A Retail Liquor License (Bar) is ILLEGAL and you can indeed be arrested and prosecuted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom