Not IF - WHEN you break the law!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShareTheToys

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I actually have never broken this one. I always ask and until I feel comfortable enough to ask I leave it in the car. Another persons home is their home, I sure wouldn't want someone bringing a gun into my home without letting me know about it first.

Funny story, my old room mate had a girlfriend that was very anti-gun and pro-flowers for everyone. We always had very heated debates that ended is us agreeing to disagree. She came to the house one day with one of her friends that had never been around before and the girl stopped at the threshold and asked if it was okay for her to bring her gun in.

Of course I jumped up with a smile on my face and asked if I could see her permit, she showed it to me and I made sure her gun was safe (had a decent holster that wouldn't go bang when reaching for gum) and we proceeded to a discussion.

My room mates girlfriend just couldn't understand how she never knew that her best friend carried a gun in her purse. Of course I took that moment to again let her know that for the most part the people that have their permits are not the people she needs to worry about. It was good to see a girl carrying that went to the range often closed her lips when she needed to... and opened them when she needed to? ;)

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I actually have never broken this one. I always ask and until I feel comfortable enough to ask I leave it in the car. Another persons home is their home, I sure wouldn't want someone bringing a gun into my home without letting me know about it first.

Funny story, my old room mate had a girlfriend that was very anti-gun and pro-flowers for everyone. We always had very heated debates that ended is us agreeing to disagree. She came to the house one day with one of her friends that had never been around before and the girl stopped at the threshold and asked if it was okay for her to bring her gun in.

Of course I jumped up with a smile on my face and asked if I could see her permit, she showed it to me and I made sure her gun was safe (had a decent holster that wouldn't go bang when reaching for gum) and we proceeded to a discussion.

My room mates girlfriend just couldn't understand how she never knew that her best friend carried a gun in her purse. Of course I took that moment to again let her know that for the most part the people that have their permits are not the people she needs to worry about. It was good to see a girl carrying that went to the range often closed her lips when she needed to... and opened them when she needed to? ;)

Great story!! Thanks, I'm encouraged by that one.

I just can't leave the gun in the car. Nope, can't do it. I might leave the Glock but not the BUG.

How long you been carrying? Full size?

ShareTheToys

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Great story!! Thanks, I'm encouraged by that one.

I just can't leave the gun in the car. Nope, can't do it. I might leave the Glock but not the BUG.

How long you been carrying? Full size?

I have been carrying for five years now and never leave home without my BUG (S&W 442). Depending on the situation when I leave home I may strap on my M&P (full size), but most of the time its just the 442. In my mind my right to protect myself is absolute so long as I'm not infringing on anyone elses rights. I believe in a persons rights and also in do unto others. Some people may argue that your right to protect yourself should trump someones right to not have you carrying in their home, but honestly at that point you could just not go into their home. At the end of the day I would just feel very arrogant if I carried into someone elses home without permission. After five years of carrying I feel naked without my gun, but I also know that it has built itself into my everyday life and it can be an issue at times. Sometimes I can just avoid whatever issue it creates all together by just avoiding the situation, but other times my gun has to take a back seat and I have to face the world all by my lonesome. This is my choice and how I get by, it won't feel the same for everyone I guess. Let me catch you bringing a gun into my home without my permission though. :)

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    .......Let me catch you bringing a gun into my home without my permission though. :)

That last part is what got me to asking how others do it. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..."

My New Years resolution: To follow the law to the fullest without being unarmed (gun).

I'll check in here and post how each encounter goes. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best!

Any advice on how to ask if I can bring my gun into a private residence? I know it is situationally specific but we could learn from how you've done it.

Last edited:

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    First, I would never openly answer that question.
    Second, anyone who I invite into my home is allowed to carry concealed with a permit so that eliminates them from having to seek permission.
    Finally, anyone who enters my home with my permission carrying concealed without a permit is also OK, just be aware that both my wife and I are always armed and ready if their intent is less than honorable.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Since you called me out personally I will answer how I handle my business, whatever you do is YOUR business.

I have a very close group of friends, we train together and take being "ready" very seriously. THAT being said nobody else is welcome in my residence, you might come hang out at my guest house but my main house NEVER unless you are part of the group of friends.

It works the same way for me going to their house, they have permission to use my guns, my reloaders, my work bench, etc etc etc.

IF very seldom I do go to somebody elses house I dont know, the unknown person is usually a known person of one of my friends so they are well aware ahead of time our mentality and what we do, they get the usual "do you mind" question and I am yet to get one person that says I do. The answer is always not at all I feel safer with you guys here.

Now if you are a door to door salesman or a plumber then you might have issues, since what I do doesnt require for me to go to peoples houses I dont know its not an issue for me.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Since you called me out personally I will answer how I handle my business, whatever you do is YOUR business.

I have a very close group of friends, we train together and take being "ready" very seriously. THAT being said nobody else is welcome in my residence, you might come hang out at my guest house but my main house NEVER unless you are part of the group of friends.

It works the same way for me going to their house, they have permission to use my guns, my reloaders, my work bench, etc etc etc.

IF very seldom I do go to somebody elses house I dont know, the unknown person is usually a known person of one of my friends so they are well aware ahead of time our mentality and what we do, they get the usual "do you mind" question and I am yet to get one person that says I do. The answer is always not at all I feel safer with you guys here.

Now if you are a door to door salesman or a plumber then you might have issues, since what I do doesnt require for me to go to peoples houses I dont know its not an issue for me.

Good advice, thanks. I'd have to change my lifestyle to be much less sociable in order to implement your methods. I don't want to make that change but it is a viable option if I do.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    What "high horse" are you referring to? Prove you wrong? What are you talking about? Why the hostility?
    My beef is with the law, not you...

"This thread is for LA CC folks who are trying their utmost to be armed 24/7 AND not break the CC laws"

"First hand experience on how you've Kept the law for years"

If this is you, GREAT ! - FANTASTIC ! ....explain how you do it so I can learn.[/QUOTE

I apologize if my reply was taken as hostile, I merely meant it to be flippant. My bad.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    There are TOO MANY laws... NO ONE can go about their daily business without breaking a law these days. Our local sheriff, police and officials, who should be our protection from an over reaching Federal government, have got on the bandwagon with the federal jack-boots. The locals have been turned, and bought CHEAP with Homeland Security money. The local cop and public officials no longer considers themselves "public servants" they consider themselves our "Lords and Masters". We walk the streets "free" at their leisure. If for any reason they decide we have offended them, a "Convenient Law" is always there to punish us.

With apologies to the few good cops left... the good one will take no offense and agree with me. And to the bad cops FLAME ON, your indoctrination has taught you I'm probably a "domestic terrorist" for daring to question your "Supreme Authority"

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Well, it has been six days since I said I'd post how I am doing on my quest to follow the letter of the law.

I've been to one private residence since then...
    ...I had the whole story typed out but thought better so I erased it...

I just don't even think about carrying. It's become a part of me. Like my fist. It's always there at the end of my arm but I don't think about it until I need it. Then it becomes instantaneous.

ShareTheToys

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, it has been six days since I said I'd post how I am doing on my quest to follow the letter of the law.

I've been to one private residence since then...
    ...I had the whole story typed out but thought better so I erased it...

I just don't even think about carrying. It's become a part of me. Like my fist. It's always there at the end of my arm but I don't think about it until I need it. Then it becomes instantaneous.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you have to say about it, if you don't want to post it in public perhaps you could PM me. My friends are close friends, I trust them. I never go in to the house of an acquaintance because I have no reason to. I am a fairly private person so perhaps that is why it hasn't really created an issue for me. My friends have always known that I enjoy firearms as a hobby. Over time they know that I am also worried about personal protection, I've always lived in Baton Rouge and I have watched it go sour over my 26 years here. In the end they all found out that I carry through conversation, usually when they've had a bad experience (a mugging, someone strange following them or a break in) and ask for advice.

My group of friends always congregated at one persons house though and we've been buds for a good while now. He knew when I got my permit and permission was always there for his place, so my other friends gave permission from there. Hell, some even wanted training after our conversations. As far as strangers though, if I am meeting someone new in their home (doesn't happen often) it just stays in the car. I'm not telling someone that I do not know about my carry permit, or the use of it.

I have been dating my girlfriend for almost six months now and we spent Christmas with her step fathers family, something that they do every year. On Christmas Eve I noticed a pack of dogs entered the gated property and some of the kids were outside with few parents watching them. I made mention of the pack of dogs and went outside to the car to be close to my gun in the glove box just in case. The parents started to round up their children as the pack started moving around the yard, a pack of dogs can be very dangerous as I am sure most of you know.

Grandma actually asked if she needed to go and get her gun and my girlfriend responded that I was standing next to the car because that is where mine was. I face palmed right there, but it was my fault for not having that talk with my girlfriend yet. Grandma told me that her late husband never left home without his and that she loved that men still carried guns and protected their loved ones. She then proceeded to tell me it was okay to carry in her home and laughed at all of the other "men" there not carrying and still watching TV during the whole incident.

I digress, but as I said before, I will maintain respect for someone elses home and it always seems to work itself out. On many occasions I do have to leave my gun in the car and I hate it every single time.

Last edited:

JayKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I will maintain respect for someone elses home and it always seems to work itself out. On many occasions I do have to leave my gun in the car and I hate it every single time.

That's exactly how I feel. I respect the homes of others and honor my requirement to ask for permission. However, more often than not, I choose to not carry into someone's home over asking for permission. The main reason for me is that some couples my wife and I socialize with believe that bad things only happen to other people and don't get concept of self defense. The last thing I want is to be out at dinner with someone of that mindset when something bad happens and for them to tell the aggressor, "Leave us alone! He <pointing at me> has a gun!!"

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    In Texas they don't have this problem because you're not required to tell the world you carry a gun when you go into a house. Judging by this stupid soccer mom Louisiana/Arkansas law, one wonders why dead people don't appear in houses all over Texas as a result of homeowners not being told that a CHLer has a gun.

As for me, if somebody comes in my house wearing a concealed handgun, I don't care. If I catch them carrying a gun, I'll compliment them on a nice gun. I don't care if it's my dad, my friends, my plumber, my fed ex guy, the gas man, my neighbor or just some stranger off the street. I'm not afraid of guns. I'm afraid of criminals. (you think a criminal is going to honor this stupid law?)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom