Not My Usual Method For Gumbo But, Damn Good!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    For a good while now I have been seeing Bailey's "Cajun Creole Roux Mix" at Bailey's Andouille in Laplace and in supermarkets locally.

http://baileyscajuncreolemix.com/

d7a45f93-ca54-4fbc-ad90-75c84afa82a7.jpg

Well, last week while at Bailey's I decided to pick up a box and give it a try just to see if it was any good. Usually I make my gumbos from scratch and always they were better than taking any short cuts.
    So Tuesday I decided to give it a try. I cooked it Tuesday evening to have for dinner last night. I went the "cheating" route with the chicken by buying a roasted chicken from Costco and deboned it instead of using fresh chicken. The box contains a seasoning packet(all necessary dry seasonings), a spice packet and packet of dry roux and this is everything except for the sausage and meat you need according to the directions. Of course I just had to add my own lil spin by using one medium diced onion about half a bell pepper diced and two ribs of celery sliced up thin.
    Meats were the roasted chicken deboned with the juices from the container, a lil over a pound of Bailey's andouille and two nice pieces of Bailey's tasso roughly diced.

Following the directions on the box and a few splashes of Tabasco I cooked the gumbo. I was absolutey amazed at how good this gumbo came out. Everyone here loved it!!!

DSC03219.jpg

I let it cool down some and stuck it in the fridge until late yesterday afternoon and warmed it up for dinner.
    I also baked some sweet potatoes and made some biscuits for the rest of the meal.

DSC03222.jpg

(No pics of the biscuits)

Bowl of Chicken Andouille Gumbo

DSC03223.jpg

Bottom line here is that if you want a really good gumbo but don't want to fuss with the whole homemad process you could do what I did here and enjoy a fantastic gumbo. This is actually a hundred times better than what some restaurants serve and much easier I'm sure.
    I'll be picking up another box or two next time I see it.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    You know, I don't care what anybody says, I can turn a roux as good as the next person, but I use Savoie's or Kary's roux out of the jar just because it's so much easier. My mamma once told me the best gumbo comes from a roux you turned yourself, that is until she had mine and couldn't believe it came from a jar. N4sir, you did do it right by letting it "cure" in the fridge overnight and it looks mighty tasty in the pic. Kudos! A good gumbo takes time to get those seasonings to dance together on your tastebuds. I always say the best gumbo is re-heated out the freezer. I think tonight I may have to thaw some out 'cause seeing yours just made my tummy jump.

tun_o_matic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I've been using the Bailey's mix for a awhile now. Used it before it came in a nice packaged box. They sold it in sealed bags at Bailey's. I use their andouille and boneless chicken thighs and followed the recipe sheet they gave out. I don't often cook, but it is easy and sure makes a good gumbo. I recommend it.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I hate to say it... But I might give it a try. (does albertsons carry it?)

I've only got one quart bag left in the freezer from my last batch (GF stole one).

She got to go! You can take my TV, golf clubs, man card, whatever......... But don't be touchin' my guns and gumbo! :mamoru:

Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I've been using the Savoi's Dark Roux for years. I find it more consistent than Cary's which at times had a burnt taste. And absolutely, it is always better the next day after the seasonings have aged into everything! Whew!! Now I gotta go cook a gumbo!!! Ye ha!

Top Bottom