Not saying this is right but dang!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Odd story but am glad it didn't result in police being called (by meter guy) or any other form of legal action.
    Although I don't agree with smart meters being the root of all evil I do believe that her rights were violated.
    The meter installer not only ignored the posted notices, he physically touched the homeowner when she tried to place her hand over the meter.
    That right there constitutes justification (in my opinion) for her to resort to an escalation of force.
    He had no right to do that whatsoever.

And yup, leaving was an excellent idea on his part.
    Wonder where this one will go in the media...

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The meter is the property of the power company. If she doesn't want the smart meter and puts up no trespassing signs, I would cut off her power. She has not right to pull a gun on someone trying to change the meter. If she doesn't want the meter, that's what civil courts are for.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I do agree that if she doesn't want the meter then by all means cut off her power and sort it out in civil court.
    However, to push her hand away from the meter is going too far.
    The guy had absolutely no right to do that.

Were I him, I would have not entered the property and left the legal department to sort it out.
    Damn well wouldn't have touched her.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with Barry. That meter is not her property to begin with. The power company has every right to change their equipment. If she doesn't like it she can co to another power company or do without electricity all together.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    However, to push her hand away from the meter is going too far.
    The guy had absolutely no right to do that.

I disagree. If you drop a something on the ground and I put my hand over it, will you move my hand to retrieve your property? The meter is not her property and she did not have a right to prevent the worker from changing it.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Fair enough, I respect your opinion but do not believe it to be the same thing.
    If I am on your property and you physically stop me from retrieving my belonging I'd walk away and handle it legally.
    If you were on my property I'd expect the same.
    This woman likely has no concept that the meter is not legally hers and feels she is defending her property.

And for the record, if a person comes to change my meter I have no issue with it and they are welcome on my property.
    I know they are only trying to perform their job duties and I wouldn't hassle them.
    Well, unless they were peeping into the bathroom window watching my wife shower.
    Then I'd just feel sorry for them because once you see certain things they can never be un-seen.
    ;)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think what she did was dumb, but fine. I also think they should cut off her power until she gets a smart meter. Electricity ain't a right.
    No, but if you don't have electricity hooked up you can be fined, evicted, or denied residency of your home, depending on the situation and locale.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    That woman seems a little off, but if the power company is updating it's equipment then I don't see where they have a fight. I don't see where you have a choice in the equipment the power company uses. We have one side of the story, how we don't know some poor bastard wasn't just doing his job and some crazy woman just comes out with a gun. She feels maybe she went over the line and now has this story that he grabbed her hand and pulled it away to justify pulling a gun on this dude. If she felt threatened why not go inside and stay inside while the police come.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Wow. I think there are better fights to focus on than that.
    I remember when the power company was trying to get everyone to install the box that delays your ac unit from coming on at peak hours (I think it would delay it up to 30 minutes) and offered a small credit if you participated. But it was voluntary.
    Anyone scared of the signals put out by a smart meter has no idea just how intrusive the world really is!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    People don't think very clearly these days... I think its the aluminum leached out of the drink cans that's causing it...hehehe

So aluminum as foil for a hat = protection from gov't
    but aluminum as a can for drinks = poison that turns us mindless

I don't even know what to do now!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    tin foil hat crowd all over that thing. I know I have a smart meter at the house any body else got one?

I can't imagine there wasn't some communication from the power company that this change was going to be done along with a phone number or web site to go to for information. That's the way it was when I was with whatever Gulf States is called now and Dixie.

I think you will find that a resident does have a right to the power given it is supplied by a public utility, but the resident has certain contractual responsibilities spelled out in the contract. If you don't agree with them, they don't need to sell you electricity. Simple.

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom