O/U vs SxS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    What are yalls opinions on these guns? I've always liked the SxS a bit more because it looks more "American". Does one perform better than the other? There was another thread similar to this but I didn't want to hijack. I'm interested in getting a good double in a light gauge, like 28 gauge or .410. The ruger red's have made an impression on me, but I've only held one briefly. The whole "made in USA" stamp means a lot to me, and I haven't found a brand that is that nice looking for the price. I believe they are single triggered, which I like. I would use the gun for dove and rabbit, and occasionally skeet. Any input or advice is appreciated.

p.s. I still can't get over the price of a smaller gun. It's less steel! Shells are double the price of a 12 or 20, and again it's less material. The beauty of supply and demand.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I say if you are going to use it, get an O/U. It is similar to shooting a regular pump or automatic. Also I tried shooting a SXS a few times at the range and every time half way through I would switch to the O/U and would immediately start doing better.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The ruger red's have made an impression on me, but I've only held one briefly. The whole "made in USA" stamp means a lot to me, and I haven't found a brand that is that nice looking for the price. I believe they are single triggered, which I like. I would use the gun for dove and rabbit, and occasionally skeet.

I could have written this post myself. ;)
    Sounds like the Red Label is what you're looking for.

Red labels are going for $900 on GunBroker. Some NIB.

p.s. I still can't get over the price of a smaller gun. It's less steel! Shells are double the price of a 12 or 20, and again it's less material. The beauty of supply and demand.

Might as well buy a 12 Ga. and then you could get a 'Choke Tube Set' which can change the barrel gauge of your shotgun to 20/28/.410.

Personally I simply don’t like the sight plane of Side by Sides.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have been mainly a pump and auto man my whole life and have always been a very good wing shot. However, I now have 2 O/U´s and hit with them as well as my single barrel guns. One time I tried a SXS and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. Since that experience, I would not own a SXS. I just cant get used to the sight profile looking at 2 barrels. I´m sure with practice this could be overcome, but I see no need to alter my 45 years of shotgunning patterns and methods with a SXS. JUST MHO.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Just be careful................O/U are addicting.
    Ruger is a nice gun for the bones. I like the Beretta's, I think, not positive, but Beretta is oldest company on the planet, like 470+ years.

Shot what fits.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I didn't really think much along the sight picture, but y'all are right, it is very different. I have a cheap SxS stoeger 28 gauge and it took some practice aiming. It has double triggers, and that saved many a rabbit on that first hunt. Thank y'all for the input. I'd love a beretta, but the price is killing me. I know you get what you pay for, but still.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I learned to shoot with my grandmother's 20ga Parker SxS. I never had a real problem with a sight picture. Then again, I hadn't been wingshooting or hunting with anything else up to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom