odd encounter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    This past Saturday night I had got off work and just parked my truck in the apartments where I live in. I was still in my navy blue hospital scrubs with ID bade around my neck. It was 1230am, dark of course, so as I exited my truck I took a moment to scan the parking lot for any signs of trouble, people close to me or anything I should just be aware or wary of. Our parking lot has few lights so there are many shadows and just plain black areas and a long line of parked cars to my left. I was parked in the last parking spot in that row so my right side was open. I saw some ways from me a tall white guy, about college age, walking from out of the shadows on the sidewalk towards my general direction. His gait was like that of a zombie, slow and unsteady. I got near the steps that lead up to my apartment at the same time this guy was about 10 or so feet from me. He stopped and with slurred speech asked, “are you going to kill me?”. I backed up and put a few more feet between us, apartment building at my back should there be another idiot with him and in a calm voice told him “no, I’m not going to kill you.” I also told him I work in a hospital and we save people not kill them. He just stood there giving me an odd glazed over stare. Anything I said no doubt was not registering with this guy. I figured he was either high on something, drunk, crazy or out looking for trouble. With his hair cut in a GI fashion I asked him if he was a GI. He asked me what a GI was. That answered my question that he wasn’t in the military so I told him “never mind”. I was carrying my lunch box that has a long strap on it, an old GI issue tool bag I carry my wallet, checkbook, cigarettes, etc. in and also a black zippered padded gun pouch with my Ruger SP 101 .357 magnum pistol in it. All this I had in my left hand with my right hand free. Every night when I get home and before I walk from my parking place to my apartment I always unzip that pistol case to have quick access to my pistol should something happen. This high or drunk idiot did not see my pistol because it remained tucked inside the case but my right hand was where I could draw it quickly if needed. He just stood there looking at me, slightly weaving back and forth. No shoes on, faded blue jeans, wife-beater t-shirt with several tattoos, about 6 feet tall and well built. Keeping an eye on him I went the rest of the way up the stairs to the landing of the apartment next to mine. I stood there a few moments by the railing and watched as this crazy ******* started walking away. As I watched him he kept looking back at me. He rounded the corner of the building I live in then disappeared from my sight. I waited a bit then walked to my apartment door and went inside. I didn’t want this guy to know which apartment I lived in so that was the reason I went to the apartment next to mine. That would give him a 50/50 chance of going to the wrong apartment should he come back. Thankfully he never came back, as far as I know. I looked out the back patio window of my apartment as I was getting out of my scrubs and into my sweats when I saw this guy walking between other apartment buildings away from where I live.

Ya just never know these days.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Did you happen to call so that an officer could check on it ?????/

ONLY because he didnt "attack" you doesnt mean he couldnt have done it to a single mother or a female a couple of apartments down.

Just a thought ........

Glad nothing happened to you.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wow man, you pretended that your neighbor's apartment was yours in case the kid came back for nefarious purposes? Is your neighbor an a**hole?

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I didn't call the cops after this situation ended and the apartment next door is empty. I wouldn't do that to my neighbor unless he was an a**hole, then probably not anyway. Saturday night, just past midnight, police response time for this would not have been short. The police here are VERY busy on the weekends. This is no reflection on the police here, just a fact. This guys was a nut case or maybe just high or drunk. He didn't threaten me, had no weapon or at least didn't pull one on me so I just let it go as one of those things that happen. Since it ended well for me I didn't even think to call the police. Will keep that in mind should something like this happen again. My bad......

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I called the apartment manager. Was told that since I didn't know this guy or where he lived there was nothing they could do. Then suggested next time to call apartment security or the police. Your right, just because I wasn't harmed and the situation was resolved for me doesn't mean he didn't stagger off and harm someone else. Don't know any of my neighbors but will let them know to be on the watch. Apartment living - used to be a nice thing. Now we are just little boxes with a lot of people concentrated in one location. Prime feeding grounds.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I called the apartment manager. Was told that since I didn't know this guy or where he lived there was nothing they could do. Then suggested next time to call apartment security or the police. Your right, just because I wasn't harmed and the situation was resolved for me doesn't mean he didn't stagger off and harm someone else. Don't know any of my neighbors but will let them know to be on the watch. Apartment living - used to be a nice thing. Now we are just little boxes with a lot of people concentrated in one location. Prime feeding grounds.

And neighbors may be a**holes?!?

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Had a neighbor some time ago that would play his music Rap "music" full volume. The entire apartment buidling felt like it had a pulse due to his LOUD "music". I went over and asked him to please turn down his music. He got pissed and wanted to fight. I backed off and let it go. Not long after that he was kicked out of the complex. Will never do that again. Let the apartment mgr deal with bad residents. That's what I pay rent for.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Glad you are ok adn the ******* didn't bug up and jump you. It would have been a whole different thread then.
    You never know when some whackadoodle is going to enter your life. It's not just big cities either. This weekend LE in Plaquamine (here in Iberville Parish west of Baton Rouge) responded to a 911 call from a lady saying a man was hanging over her fence in her yard. Then he fell to the sidewalk. 911 paged out Plaq Fire Dept for medical and told them to stage because the guy had gotten up when the woman went to check on him. The guy stripped off his clothes and was running down the alley between the woman's home and her neighbors. He was screaming and blabering as he ran his naked ass around the neighborhood.
    Crazy can show up anywhere. Be armed. Be prepared.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    This sounds like every day in Kenner as well. It pisses me off how young people are turning out these days & I'm not even that old!

Glad you were ok though.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Wife & I came out of a nice restaurant in Houston a couple years ago, right across the street from a large HPD substation. As we were getting into wife's Tahoe, she hollered "Look out ! Look out !" There was an idiot running directly up to me. Had a Surefire in left hand and right hand on G26 under shirt. Saw the guy at the last minute and put the Surefire on full right in his face and hollered "Get away from me !"; he stopped about 3 feet away and said "Is that a .38 Special ?" Between the Surefire and my shirt, I don't know how he knew I had a gun. Hollered again for him to get away, he backed up a couple feet, I got into car, wife drove off. As we watched, he whipped it out and took a long pee right there, under the pretty bright lights, just across from 11 HPD patrol units.
    There are crazies EVERYWHERE !

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Did you happen to call so that an officer could check on it ?????/

ONLY because he didnt "attack" you doesnt mean he couldnt have done it to a single mother or a female a couple of apartments down.

Just a thought ........

Glad nothing happened to you.

Yea, so it can take like 20 min for them to come check it out, if at all. they are too busy to just check out possible suspects..

Top Bottom