Offset pivot pin removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Buddy hit me with a question that I know nothing about, so I thought someone here could help. He has a Colt lower (large hole) and some other manuf. upper. At some point they put an offset pivot pin in there (DPMS, if it matters) and now he can't get it out. Says he has tried to hold one side and unscrew the other, but nothing happens. I have never laid eyes on one of those pins, so I don't know if it takes something special to remove. Any ideas? He wants to switch uppers on a couple of his AR's, but can't get this one apart.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've dealt with them a number of times. If I remember, you keep the head of the pin stationary and unscrew/rotate the actual "nut" that holds it in place. Don't try to rotate the pin (it's offset, remember?) That's how mine worked anyway. Pics would be helpful.

EDIT: Just looked at a photo of the DPMS pin. The above should work.

Last edited:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    I don't have any pics, I haven't even seen the gun. Just trying to figure it out over the phone. Took a while to even understand what he was talking about. Anyway, he -claims- to be doing just what you said and it isn't coming out. My only thought was that maybe it was stripped and causing a problem, but not knowing anything about it I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. Told him he might just have to cut it out of there and replace it.

Top Bottom