oil filter suppressor....legalities.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    If it's the same thing I remember reading about a few years ago, the piece that goes between the barrel and the filter are to be registered as a suppressor.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Yep, and there was a ruling that if you change the filter that it must go back to the manufacturer if I remember correctly a while back. Some numb nuts are buying "solvent traps" off eBay that are essentially the same item minus serial number and nfa registration. Wonder how that would work if you form 1 one of those. In theory you would be the manufacturer. Wonder if you, as the manufacturer, could service (change the filter) on your own item?

https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_26_69

3anerytu.jpg

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    The "patch traps" seem to be for sale everywhere nowdays for $10-20 with threads to fit any filter.
    $200 tax stamps suck but are much better than federal time!

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    If you e-file tomorrow, you might only be waiting 3-4 months.

I wouldnt use an oil filter unless I was throwing the gun off the bridge with it...

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I saw this for the first time about 15 minutes ago and was coming on here to ask. Glad I saw this thread first. Does anyone know how well it works, if it all? The adapters are all over ebay and if you add a $200 tax stamp it's at least a lot cheaper than most others. I'm not saying it seems like a good idea, but I'd like to know about anyone's personal experiences.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    I saw this for the first time about 15 minutes ago and was coming on here to ask. Glad I saw this thread first. Does anyone know how well it works, if it all? The adapters are all over ebay and if you add a $200 tax stamp it's at least a lot cheaper than most others. I'm not saying it seems like a good idea, but I'd like to know about anyone's personal experiences.

I shot one. I think it was an econocan. Not very impressed. My factory cans are quieter. Also couldn't see the sights. Might work on a rifle with tall scope mount or something.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Unless you want to be disappointment, stick with the proven vendors and the local stores who give you the honest details of the gear you buy.

I think everything has a place, but the truth is, you can get a good can pretty dang cheap now days, and you will appreciate it much more than the erwl filter or solvent trap

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If you really want a cheap can...

I'd keep an eye on this. FAR better than an oil can. It will pay for itself in shipping/replacement alone in about 2,000 rounds compared to the oil-can filter junk, which you initially purchase, and then would have to replace @3 times to hit 1K rounds with.

It makes far better sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVDyn77eac
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uyMA68dQTA

$200+stamp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom